internet explorer dns error

sven

my internet explorer used to run of my windows 95 machine, then i did a spybot s&d and ad-aware. since then i can not get onto the internet. the notwork work perfectly, i can ping all the ips, and i can ping outside ips with success. i can not ping a dns address: google.ca, cannot resolve ip. i can not brouse the internet using ips. does anyone know what i did to mess up the computer and how to reverse it?

thanks

sven

host file is fine, only has 127.0.0.1 localhost in it.

i dont have an old registry backup.

i was listenning to the security now podcast, and it said something about removing spyware can screw up your internet link inside your computer. anyone know about something like this?

a solution before monday would be greatly appreciated, this pc has to get back to my dads office.

i dont have an old registry backup.

Are you sure ? If you haven't specifically disabled it, Windows backs up your registry automatically each time you boot and keep the five last backups in c:\windows\sysbckup.

Edit : Not sure it does it on Win95.

Edited by eidenk

ill check spybot backups first, im 90% sure thats what it was cuz it was woking perfectly before i scanned it.

if not ill look for the registry backup

the restoring backup worked, the problem is that now my pc is slow again :(. any way i can find out what program screwed up my couputer when removed? without removing them one by one ;)

Edited by sven

Dumb question but isn't there "scanreg" available in dos mode with windows95? Been quite some time since I've last used it.

If so try using it. It would let you restore a previous backup through dos. To have windows rebuild the registry (keeps setting but restores some missing keys) rather than restore a backup you can try "scanreg /fix" at the command line.

Edited by Chozo4