Intel's chipset drivers.

bizzybody

What I'd love to see is a single custom installer with the latest or last drivers for all Intel chipsets, for all windows 9x, Me, 2K and XP.

Why? Because the newer installers from intel do not have any drivers for older chipsets. They may be omitted even for Windows 2000 in newer releases. All you get is a message saying the chipset is supported by this OS. (Sure it is, by Microsoft's halfarsed drivers.)

It's especially annoying with WinMe. I spent a few hours downloading older and older infinst_enu.zip packages from intel, trying to find the last one with Me drivers for the 810 chipset. I went all the way back to the very first one listed as supporting Me and it wouldn't install anything. :realmad:

I finally dug around on my 2000 Pro box and found a really old version that had info saying it was for 95, 98, and 98SE, but Me took it just fine without a bit of complaint! ISTR it was what I downloaded right around when the 810 chipset was first released.

What might work better is seperate installers for each Windows version, containing all the latest/last available intel chipset drivers for that version. Then when encountering WinMe on an Intel chipset, just run the MeIntel installer and if there's drivers for that chipset, they'll be installed.