HFEXPERT

Oleg_II

There is a folder created manually - HFEXPERT that slipstreams codecs, system32 folder files, windows folder files.

For slipstreaming codecs the folder CODECS should be created in HFEXPERT and all the codecs should be place in it (more details here).

As far as I understand, the files placed in folders SYSTEM32 and WINDOWS will be CABed and placed in the source too. Will them be also added in txtsetup.inf or should I do it manually? If I should add them manually what is the difference between FIX and HFEXPERT\SYSTEM32 folders?

Any other sub-folders can be used in HFEXPERT folder?

Could the functions of HFEXPERT folder be explained with more details, please?

Well just to start you along the right lines, the FIX folder is for replacements to I386 after the slipstreaming.

As the files are fixes, replacements, their references are already contained in the txtsetup.inf and dosnet.inf etc. so no writes take place there.

You therefore need to add your edits to those files on anything you've added to FIX, which is not contained in the originally slipstreamed source.

Yzöwl

Well, yes. I have a couple of files in FIX that are not replacements and I add the reference to the them in dosnet.inf and txtsetup.inf.

I wonder if files placed in HFEXPERT\SYSTEM32 will get the references to dosnet.inf and txtsetup.inf without my participation :)

And if I have to add them manually to dosnet.inf and txtsetup.inf what is the differenct between FIX and HFEXPERT\SYSTEM32 then? To be exact: why should I need HFEXPERT\SYSTEM32 when I just can place ALL files I want in system32 in FIX and add references to them manually? What is the functionality of this sub-folder then?

And what is the functionality of other sub-folders in HFEXPERT folder?

If you use the HFEXPERT folders, you do NOT need to edit anything. HFSLIP does it for you.

CODECS folder: Contents will end up in the system32 folder, if it's registerable (via regsvr32) then it's registered.

SYSTEM folder: Contents gets copied to the SYSTEM folder. No other processing. It only copies files over.

SYSTEM32 folder: Contents gets copied to the SYSTEM32 folder. No other processing. Only copies.

WIN folder: Contents gets copied to the %windir% folder (ie Windows or WINNT). No other processing.

Just a word of caution, you may see some error messages if you use this. This is why I have made it a hidden item to prevent any probs. BTW, you can almost use it as a replacement for your OEM folder. :whistle:

Hope this helps.

If you can think of other worthwhile folders other than anything in the program files folder, I'm sure I can incorporate it.

Just got it!

The HFEXPERT folder can be helpfull if I want to add some file to my installation but don't want to use OEM folders structure.

Let's say I want to add REG.EXE to my installation. I could add it in three ways before:

1. Add through use of OEM structure (adding a few more folders on my disk).

2. Add through SFX archive (creating a SFX archive).

3. Place to FIX folder and add the reference to it in txtsetup.inf (editing file from the source disk).

All 3 methods work but need some more efforts from me.

And now I can just add REG.EXE in HFEXPERT\SYSTEM32 folder and that's all!

Two more questions:

1. When the file will be copied in SYSTEM32? I use some tweaks with REG ADD/DELETE in .cmd file during unattended installation.

2. If I have some .DLL file to add that needs to be registered I can just place it in CODECS?

If you can think of other worthwhile folders other than anything in the program files folder, I'm sure I can incorporate it.
Well the first one I can think of is to have one for Themes, (txtsetup ref: 129). I would guess that most of us are putting the UXTHEME.DL_ into FIX anyhow.

Would it be a better idea to change the code slightly in the HFSLIP_?*.cmd to only process the folders in HFEXPERT if they actually contain something. That way I can leave my folder structure in tact in HFSLIP, but the cmd file will only process what is necessary.

Current

• IF EXIST HFEXPERT\WIN CALL :HFEWIN

New

• IF EXIST HFEXPERT\WIN\* CALL :HFEWIN

Edited by Yzöwl

@Oleg_II - The files get copied over during the copy mode portion of setup (like right after formatting). If you need a dll registered, then place it in the CODECS folder. Easy huh?

@Yzöwl - I'll incorporate your ideas in the script (won't release it yet though).

@TommyP, FDV suggests adding the \bin and \gre folders into \WINNT in order to use helpexplorer.

I put the \bin and \gre folders into \HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN folder.

All the other HFEXPERT folders wworked, but the \bin and \gre folders did not get installed into the \WINNT folder. I'm guessing that HFSLIP only takes care of individual files, not folders.

saugatak

I think you are confusing OEM folders wtih HFEXPERT. This folder works like OEM for some content but not exactly has all its functionality.

If you don't use OEM folders sturcture but still want to place some folders in WINNT or SYSTEM32 you may try creating SFX archive with WinRar using a directive like this:

Path=%WinDir%\System32
SavePath
Silent=1
Overwrite=1

In this examle contents of an archive will be placed within SYSTEM32 folder.

Please try the archive and see does it work like you need before you use it in unattended.

Then you may place your SFX archive in HFSVPK_SW folder, include this SFX manually in SVCPACK.INF or run from a simple CMD placed in folder HFSVPK. Up to you :)

And one more tip ;) If you need (like me) openning CHM and HLP ability on a system with fdv's files just run winhtml.inf from your installation disk. You won't need any 3d party software. And for more security you can comment or even delete refferences to jscript.dll and shdoclc.dll in this INF file (every file mentioned twice in INF - just comment or delete these lines before you burn your installation disk).

Edited by Oleg_II

@TommyP

Yes

c:\Winnt\bin

and

c:\winnt\gre

@Oleg, yeah I'd like to have the option of reading helpfiles. FDV recommends helpexplorer or xchm v0.9. Not sure why helpexplorer is better or why you can't use latest xchm.

@FDV and Oleg, re your project to remove help and .chm files.

Windows help files look like they're all located in C:\WINNT\Help. Would it be easier just to leave this alone in the FDV fileset and then do a manual delete after setup? This way help files are there and you can keep 'em if you want 'em or delete them if not necessary.

saugatak

xchm - good program but I needed native support for Help System because of one of my application ;)

As for commenting CHM and HLP files - I did the job but fall asleep yesterday. I'd like to make a small comment to fdv alone with sending files. Do it today when back from the exhibition.

And I have another news about reducing the source working with only two big files (may be less about 40MB) without even using nLite :yes: But later ;)

Edited by Oleg_II