HFSLIP, The 2K/XP/2K3 slipstreamer

tommyp

60306 (1st draft) was correct. The first time I ran it, with HFCLEANP, the house burnt down. The second time, without HFCLEANUP, I went past go and collected $200. Assessment: my HFCLEANUP files are/were borked.

I am starting with a fresh batch of HFCLEANUP, the latest HFSLIP 60306r2, and some fairy dust.

Also, I have a very minor suggestion for HFSLIP:

echo Press Y to overwrite and N to not overwrite.  Echo Default is N

Might read better and be more clear as:

echo Press Y to overwrite and N to not overwrite.  Default is N.

Piddly, eh? Yeah.

Edited by TAiN

This was a bitter pill...

I hope I covered everything.

Wow. You fixed *everything* :thumbup Even the packs that I thought were bad...now work perfectly. And all with DX9! I still need to test codecs but it really looks like you fixed the core problem(s). I will start testing that now and probably provide feedback on it in the morning.

Sorry it took so long to provide feedback on this fix; I've been getting my butt handed to me by HFCLEANUP.

Thanks again. Great job!

We seem to have entered a bug-free lull, so how about some feature requests to heat things up? I'll start :)

- Add a progress meter in a "expanding bar" or "Step 1/5" format. Display statically so we can tell where HFSLIP is at in the process. The individual steps have a "% done" indicator, but an indicator for the overall process would be handy. This may also help in debugging future issues.

Edited by TAiN

Bug free? I wish... :D

Coming up is the final round of WUA fixes: French, Finnish and Turkish. WUUHAA!

The "% done" progress indicator comes with the MAKECAB utility (part of Windows) which HFSLIP uses to compress the files. To my knowledge, DOS does not provide a means to display the type of progress indicator you're after....

From http://www.vorck.com/hfslip-info.html:

Q. Are there two methods for slipstreaming DirectX 9c? Which one should I use?

A. The Sleek/Streamlined/Slipstreamed version is a fully slipstreamed version. You could integrate DirectX 9c into the OS if you really want to. Do not do both methods, as it will slow the installation time down. To integrate and NOT slipstream:

Create a silent SFX installer and place the EXE file in the HFSVPK_SW folder.

Directx9 repacking instructions are here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...533;entry163905

Make sure the DirectX9 installer is packed with a /Q:A /R:N switch.

Don't be a stubborn jackass... just slipstream DX9. Never mind integrating it.

From ERROR_REPORT.TXT:

DX9C - Integrated

Are those inconsistent or am I confused?

The error_report is used by the authors to see what the user is doing. The script can be changed to say slipstreamed if it makes you feel better. It won't affect the functionality of your sourcess folder.

Funny you should mention a .cpl issue...I've been bug-testing all morning on a .cpl issue with an addon that I am making. I can't figure out if the problem is my incompetence or a bug in HFLSIP :)

@TAiN & dziubek: Try the latest test build; it handles *.cp* files differently

@TAiN: the latest test build has an updated ERROR_REPORT.TXT section

@dziubek:

I can't find the problem with KB842773. The files in the Polish package are identical to those in the other packages. Are you only experiencing this with Win2K or also with WinXP?

Do any other people have problems with KB842773?

Edited by Tomcat76