HFSLIP, The 2K/XP/2K3 slipstreamer

tommyp

Hi Sgt_Strider

HFSLIP doesn't do unattended installs; it slipstreams hotfixes into a Windows installation source. Hotfixes are extracted, and the files inside them are copied into the source, replacing existing files. The *.cat files are copied over as well so Windows setup knows that the updated (or new) files are OK. During Windows setup, the necessary registry settings from the hotfix installation INFs are applied so Windows Update knows that they have been installed.

Silent installers, MSI files and some hotfixes are not slipstreamed; they're integrated into the SVCPACK folder to be installed at T-13.

Hi Sgt_Strider

HFSLIP doesn't do unattended installs; it slipstreams hotfixes into a Windows installation source. Hotfixes are extracted, and the files inside them are copied into the source, replacing existing files. The *.cat files are copied over as well so Windows setup knows that the updated (or new) files are OK. During Windows setup, the necessary registry settings from the hotfix installation INFs are applied so Windows Update knows that they have been installed.

Silent installers, MSI files and some hotfixes are not slipstreamed; they're integrated into the SVCPACK folder to be installed at T-13.

Sorry.

Does HFSLIP follow Microsoft protocols in implementing these files? Or it breaks with certain protocols like what nlite does? That is what I really want to know.

Using HFSLIP or updating windows once it is installed in the classic way has just the same effect. Except that if HFSLIP has been used, you can not uninstall the update as there is no 'previous' versions of the updated files.

In fact, we ensure that it has the same effect; it is meant to.

The difference is that HFSLIP saves up to 150MB on your installation CD, at least the same amount of space on your hard drive and speeds up installation.

And as far as I've understood, it is possible to update Vista just in the same way HFSLIP updates 2K/XP/2K3.

:)

hi TC! maybe we need to have updated HF lists, specifically from here:

(1) http://users.telenet.be/tc76/winup/_winxpsp2.html --- i use this regularly! :)

... as well as updated instructions in

(2) http://hfslip.org/howto.html ...

i think the reason why there are repetitions in terms of inquiries from some is that topics are discussed all over the place :P ... perhaps a consolidation of those discussed in:

(1) HFSLIP - Test releases

(2) HFSLIP, The 2K/XP/2K3 slipstreamer

(3) other topics

especially when it's about the latest updates (i.e., IE7, WMP11, other HFs) ... thanks!

i know you guys are busy ... especially that Christmas & New Year are getting closer ... but this would lessen inquiries (thus, less answers too ... he! he!)

Edited by Kiki Burgh

@Super-Magician

I suppose it should. If it contains 2.0...

@the_guy

I meant for the dynamic list. WMP11 needs to be extracted into HF\WMP11. Having another section "Files that go in the HF\WMP11 folder" seems a bit too much.

• 1 month later...

hi TC! i haven't tested yet the new test releases since i wanted to come up with a working iso from this final 1st ... however, i'd like to share that i get errors when addons get processed ... it shows something like: C:\Documents not found ... i'll be posting the screenshots tonight when i get back ... thanks!