HFSLIP, The 2K/XP/2K3 slipstreamer

tommyp

Is HFSLIP going to eventually add SATA driver integration support? I would love if this feature is added and I will test it for you guys! Oleg II's method doesn't work, but I think he may be on the right track.

For driver integration I use Bashrat Driverpacks (after I have slipstreamed windows updates with hfslip script), I haven't had any kind of error... maybe you can try it.

Also does HFSLIP automatically detect where the Windows CD is? For example, I have multiple disc drives and virtual disc drives on my computer. How can I point HFSLIP to use which drive?

HFSLIP creates iso for cds, but doesn't burn them.

HFSLIP can burn the ISO since version 1.2.0.

@Sgt_Strider

To extract the boot image from a Windows CD, HFSLIP looks for a drive that has the I386 folder in its root. The last one encountered is used.

It doesn't really matter which version of Windows is in the I386 folder; the extracted boot images are identical (and if not identical, they are at least interchangeable -- I'm using the same boot.bin for every version of Windows).

HFSLIP can burn the ISO since version 1.2.0.

@Sgt_Strider

To extract the boot image from a Windows CD, HFSLIP looks for a drive that has the I386 folder in its root. The last one encountered is used.

It doesn't really matter which version of Windows is in the I386 folder; the extracted boot images are identical (and if not identical, they are at least interchangeable -- I'm using the same boot.bin for every version of Windows).

I didn't mean it like that. Tools like Alcohol 120% allows me to create virtual drives. How can I point HFSLIP to the correct drive with Windows or it automatically detects that?

I think you don't understand me too well... :)

The ONLY time HFSLIP looks for "a CD with Windows on it" is to extract the boot image. HFSLIP creates a list of drives which have the I386 folder in the root and uses the last one encountered. All drives are checked except the C: drive. So if Z:\I386 exists, HFSLIP will attempt to get the boot image from there. The version of Windows is not important (nor is the language).

Using HFSLIP or updating windows once it is installed in the classic way has just the same effect. Except that if HFSLIP has been used, you can not uninstall the update as there is no 'previous' versions of the updated files.

In fact, we ensure that it has the same effect; it is meant to.

The difference is that HFSLIP saves up to 150MB on your installation CD, at least the same amount of space on your hard drive and speeds up installation.

And as far as I've understood, it is possible to update Vista just in the same way HFSLIP updates 2K/XP/2K3.

:)

Thanks for the response. I have one final question then. If what you say is true, then how come in th add/remove screen, there is a HF program installed? So HFSLIP does not resort to any hacking method to integrate/slipstream the hotfixes?

If what you say is true, then how come in th add/remove screen, there is a HF program installed? So HFSLIP does not resort to any hacking method to integrate/slipstream the hotfixes?
If you are referring to the HFSLIP entry... You could consider it a confirmation that HFSLIP was used to update your CD. If you used a recent version of HFSLIP, you can easily remove it by clicking the Change/Remove button.
Also is modifyPE.exe mandatory now? With previous versions, I didn't have to add that program, but now I do or I'll get an error.
ModifyPE.exe is mandatory in some situations:

- when integrating IE7 (not slipstreaming) [this is actually not the case for Windows XP in the current final; I should rectify that]

- when slipstreaming Office Update engine (OPUC4.CAB)

- when one or more of these HFEXPERT folders are used: CODECS, APPREPLACEMENT and WIN

If what you say is true, then how come in th add/remove screen, there is a HF program installed? So HFSLIP does not resort to any hacking method to integrate/slipstream the hotfixes?
hi Sgt_Strider! i'm not certain if you're referring to some HFs installed & have entries in Add/Remove programs ... but those HFs present there are those that were not slipstreamed but were instead moved by HFSLIP at SVCPACK or even at RunOnce for proper installation ... if you're referring to HFSLIP entry, it's there to show that HFSLIP was used ... a very minor appreciation for what HFSLIP has done for us all :) ... it may be removed though & it wouldn't have any negative effect in your OS ... there was a discussion about it a while back ... was supposed to post it here but it's taking me quite a while to look for it ... i'll post it here when i find it ... ;)

EDIT:you may look at these:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=628270

HFSLIP in Add/Remove Programs?

... oh & incidentally, TC has already replied to your inquiry ... it took me some time really to find the links ... :whistle:

Edited by Kiki Burgh

hi! btw, are these late additions supported already?

Update for Windows XP (KB929338)

Update for Windows XP (KB928470)

Update for Windows XP (KB927891)

i see from the stickied topics that TC's lists are no longer present ... well, i guess, we'll just have to use the_guy's list(s) + TC's dynamic list(s) for reference ... thanks!

Edited by Kiki Burgh