HFSLIP, The 2K/XP/2K3 slipstreamer

tommyp

Hi Sirs (Tomcat76 & tommyp)!

I just want to share that I think HFSLIP handled the integration of the hotfixes (multitude of those! :D ) quite well if I were to base it on the error report I've attached here. (I suppose I encountered no error at all! ;) Although, I have not tried installing it yet. Which brings me to my next concern? It would seem that the ISO I could create via Nero or nLite (& I have validated too that boot.bin + the other win51ip.sp2, etc are there) is not bootable like the usual XP installation disk which when run within XP shows you the prompt & if run outside OS initializes Setup. :( Don't I need something like autorun.inf & setup.exe? Is there any other bootimage that I need?

Oops, I almost forgot --- some of these hotfixes are actually unofficial. Some I got from the others, some I got by calling Microsoft & they provided me the link for the download. I think some of these would be more or less included in their SP3.

BTW, I've attached too an error that I get when using nLite to remove some components & add some tweaks. Please know that basically - the components that I am trying to remove are the following: keyboards, all non-english languages, msn explorer, windows messenger, internet games, briefcase. Just going directly to the ISO creation posed no problem for me.

May I just verify - are components, docs, support, valueadd directories supposed to be empty? You see I created a new partition (D) to dedicate for HFSLIP but I'd like to know too if windows default directories - RECYCLER & System Volume Information - would not cause any problem in the creation of a bootable ISO?

Please know too that I can proudly say that renamed hotfixes (KB######.exe) can be handled by HFSLIP. Likewise, I tried putting back WindowsXP-KB######-x86-ENU.exe from previously renamed hotfixes (as a workaround) & HFSLIP still handled it.

I'd like to share too (for nLite users) that it is ideal to copy SOURCESS folder to some other location in your hard drive so it may be used to replace the same folder in HFSLIP when you intend to re-run nLite (as it refuses to use the same folder when it detects that it was already used but not finished ... just like when I encounter the problems I mentioned above :()

I am pleased with HFSLIP! Wish it would be much easier to remove some components & tweak some settings.

Thanks for your kind pieces of advice!

-KIKI-

nLite.txt

ERROR_REPORT.TXT

Edited by Kiki Burgh

You do not have a boot.bin file in your HFTOOLS directory. Without this, a bootable ISO will not be created using HFSLIP (if you aren't planning on running NLITE on it). There is instructions on FDV's site for generating this file.

I never had probs running nlite on the sourcess folder, even if it was not moved. However, one issue I found out with NLITE is that if you select a file called "last session" that is located elsewhere on the harddrive (i.e. not in the program files\nlite\presets directory), NLITE throws an error message and crashes. I told Nuhi about it, but I was quickly brushed off. It happens all the time to me. As a workaround, if I have to import a favorite that is called "last session.ini" that does not reside in the PF\Nlite\Presets folder, I rename it to something else first.

These docs, support, valueadd folders. Are these alongside the source\i386 folder? Or are they inside the soruce\i386 folder?

One last point. HFSLIP may not slipstream all of those MSI installers. I *could* be wrong.

Kiki, regarding your setup.exe and autorun.inf question:

If you want those in your ISO, copy them along with I386 and the ident files (i.e. WIN51, etc.) to SOURCE.

By the way, your CAB files might be better in HFAAO as they are "addon" packs. I'm not sure about that, but if you have questions, please ask Tomcat.

Hi Sirs!

Thanks for pointing that out --- I do however have in the next attempt the boot.ini file present already as I believe it should have been extracted by BBIE from the source disk.

Components, Docs, Support, Valueadd directories are alongside HFSLIP --- all in the root of D.

Super Magician HFAAO folder is something that I have to create manually, right?

Thanks for the comments. Ü

cmpnents, DOCS, I386, SUPPORT, VALUEADD, etc. all go in the SOURCE folder. Basically, "SOURCE" is your CD. Don't forget to include all the WIN51 files too.

setup.exe and autorun.inf are only used when you initiate the install from Windows (ie, pop in the CD while Windows is running and wait for it to autorun). They are not used when booting the computer with the CD.

don't i need the ff:

CDROM_IP.5, CDROM_NT.5, and cdromsp4.tst (as like in the example pic for 2K)

pls correct me if i'm misguided, i copy the entire i386 from the cd right? following step 2 actually creates the other windows folders in the process? am i doing something wrong here? :(

running the script initially creates other folders in the HFSLIP directory

basically, what i did was to create a new partition - D:

in this root, RECYCLER & System Volume Information folders are immediately present ... would this not affect the process at all

i just want to ensure that i am not lost here & successfully integrate &/or slipstream all hotfixes ... & lastly have the desired bootable cd for fresh installation Ü

thanks for the immediate feedback!

Create a folder called HFSLIP in the root of your D: drive

Place the HFSLIP program inside it and run it

Copy the content of your CD into D:\HFSLIP\SOURCE

Place the hotfixes in D:\HFSLIP\HF (etc)

Run the HFSLIP program again

CDROM_IP.5, CDROM_NT.5, and cdromsp4.tst (as like in the example pic for 2K)
Those files are for Windows 2000. According to your ERROR_REPORT.TXT file, you were using Windows XP. So which OS are you trying to make a CD for? Edited by Tomcat76

thanks for that sir ... i'm using XP ... i merely was just thinking about those files very remotely :(

thanks again ...

in about a couple of hours i'll start with the process again ...

i just hope that i would not encounter nLite crashing on me again when i try to remove some components & put some tweaks (i will not use nLite to integrate SPs, hotfixes)

oh btw, i only copy i386 to the source or do i copy the entire contents of the cd to SOURCE

Edited by Kiki Burgh

The SOURCE folder should be the contents of your CD. So if your original CD has a folder called kiki alongside your i386 folder, then your source folder should have a folder called kiki folder alongside your i386 folder. The only folders you need for a barebones installation is the i386 folder AND you need the ident files from the CD too. The ident files as specified here

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=70109

There are other files and folders that you can delete too. Information for other files to be deleted are on the unattended.msfn.org site.

Hi again!

silly me: boot.bin ... it was a typo! :P

hi i tried all thatr i could over the weekend ... i believe that as far as slipstreaming those multiple hotfixes, HSLIP has no problem dealing with it.

however, i just like to share some thoughts & wish to have some more guide from y'all. :no:

my installation was stuck at 39 minutes ... i even left it ovenight --- exactly for 12 hours but still no go!

i allowed this to happen for the nth time thinking that it was just taking its time ... as apparently sys was not hung as i could still toggle num lock, scroll lock & caps lock keys ...

btw, this has already happened to me using nLite (& I was advised to "remove cat files + disable windows file protecion in the patches section") --- apparently it resolved the issue but still my question back then (until now Ü) was what effect would it have on my OS installation source

i re-did the process (redoing the entire process from executing HFLSIP_60317.cmd to about 30-35 minutes wait time + doing it with nLite too ... to "remove cat files + disable windows file protecion in the patches section")

this time i tried waiting for lesser duration ... i thought i'd take out the cd & see what happens ... eventually after some time it prompted me to put in the source cd ... it got me started again at least (which i thought would already go all the way to the end) & got a prompt for kbbdhc.dll;kbdbhc.dl_ & all along the file was just sitting there ... this was something i could brush aside as this was pretty easy to understand ... next prompt was about an advanced INF install error: could not locate INF file 'c:\winnt\inf\nlite.inf ... and then it was stuck again at 34 minutes while installing devices ...

i tried restarting the system & see if it would resume from where i interrupted the process but it restarted from 39 minutes ... not the very long wait again! ...

with some other attempts, after retracing the some steps above, it moved on but still asked for the product key, workgroup & others (even with correct & consistent entries in winnt.sif & unattended.txt) ... i thought it was already a success as it got to as far as about 9 minutes but then again after installing dotnetfix it restarted & i was back to where i feared it would be ... stuck at 39 minutes ...

this prompted me to remove dotnet fix in my next attempt & after the crawl & doing some steps i thought would quite speed up the process ... i thought my long waits already worth the sacrifice as it got to as far as 1 minute left with removing temporary files used ... and it got stuck again ... wow!

please know i have already created several & different versions of ISOs ... about 6-8 i think ...

1) the original ISO created by HFSLIP (w/ manual integration of SP2)

2) another ISO created by HFSLIP (SP slipstreamed via HFSVPK folder)

3 & 4) 1 & 2 ISOs created via nLite

5 & 6) 1 & 2 ISOs created via nLite w/ some components removed & some tweaks applied (including removing the cat files)

7 & *) some other ISOs i created with different settings

i have verified from the ERROR_REPORT by HFSLIp that there is not a single error

and all have basically the same concern about being stuck at 39 minutes ...

please know that i have been quite frustraterd over all these ... but i am still hopeful you could help me ...

if it's worth anything, i'm running this with a 1gb mem, 2 ASUS optical drives (both cd-rw & dvd-rw have been tried as bootable devices), AMD Athlon XP 2+, a 40gb 7200rpm Seagate hd & an 80gb 7200rpm Maxtor hd ... so i guess hardware would not be an issue

i too would like to remove briedcase, internet games, msn explorer & windows messenger (which i suppose is possible via setup mgr or even thriugh winnt.sif or unattend.txt) & specifically to remove ALL languages & keyboards EXCEPT English

PLEASE! your advice would be highly appreciated!

thanks very much!

-KIKI-

A few quick notes. ERROR_REPORT is used by the HFSLIP developers to see what the user is doing. It does not report any problems encountered during the hfslip process. IIRC, you may want to recheck your hotfixes and apply the ones that really apply to your machine. I'm sure that your machine does not have every problem that the hotfixes are addressing. Perhaps a good start is to slipstream the critical fixes (with the proper MSFT filenaming scheme) and test the ISO. Then add more and more hotfixes (with the MSFT filenaming scheme) and test the ISOs along the way. Personally, I have a funny feeling that your hotfixes don't have the proper filenames, but that's just me. :)

On a sidenote, if you want to disable some optional things from being installed, you could use a winnt.sif file.

A couple of remarks...

1) If you want to let HFSLIP slipstream the Service Pack, you need to create a folder called HFSPACK inside HFSLIP and place the SP file (Network Install version) in there. Not in HFSVPK.

2) Addons don't go in the HFSVPK folder. They go in HFAAO which you also need to create yourself.

3) Where are you getting this "DOTNETFX.EXE" from? HFSLIP doesn't support the one from Microsoft. If it's a silent switchless installer for .NET 1.1, it should be moved in HFSVPK.

On a sidenote, if you want to disable some optional things from being installed, you could use a winnt.sif file.
Kiki is using a winnt.sif file... Edited by Tomcat76

hi again!

thanks for the comments ...

while i was at home after office (this was after i posted my concern Ü) i took a 2nd look at the the folders in HFSLIP & yup i placed SP2 in the HFSPACK folder as i strictly followed what was generated for me in this link: http://users.telenet.be/tc76/winup/_winxp.html ... my bad for the wrong info ... but please know i followed these instructions to the detail & always cross-refered to http://www.vorck.com/hfslip.html

and integration was successful as per the pop-up ... i think too that integration of the hotfixes was equally successful

as for the dotnetfx.exe i used the 1 from MS ... but i do have to RyanVM's 1.1 ver & 2.0 ver ... i'll use these later when i start fresh once again ... i did not create 1 yesterday as i was waiting for any advice ...

as for the add-ons i have already placed them in the manually created HFAAO (as pointed out by Super Magician) before my last ISOs

By the way, your CAB files might be better in HFAAO as they are "addon" packs. I'm not sure about that, but if you have questions, please ask Tomcat.

as for the file names, i already have the format: WindowsXP-KB######-v#-x86-ENU.exe ... in much earlier ISOs, i experimented on this particular format as well as the KB######.exe format & both actually created the same ISOs for me ...

a little confusing though is "Do not rename the files. (However, it is ok to put a prefix to the filename in case you want to segregate some hotfixes.)" from http://www.vorck.com/hfslip.html ... doesn't putting some prefix in a way renames the file or are there certain words or string that is being parsed ... if so which would it be?

my main concern now is how do i go around being stuck at 39 mins ... & finally be able to complete a successful installation

sirs, would there be an HFSLIP way for removing the cat files (if necessary as advised to me in nLite before)

click advanced, remove cat files ;) + disable windows file protecion in the patches section

its not stuck, just going through the files really slowly!

as for the number of hotfixes, i agree with you that there may be some that my sys does not need ... but you see, i am just trying to slipstream all avail just the same to end up with something like SP3 :whistle:

and sirs, would it be possible to remove the non-Eng keyboards & non-Eng languages?

i am looking forward to sharing a very positive note on HFSLIP when i overcome all of these!

i'll be attaching my winnt.sif, unattended.txt & error report tomorrow.

your advise is really precious! :}

thanks!

Edited by Kiki Burgh

i took a 2nd look at the the folders in HFSLIP & yup i placed SP2 in the HFSPACK folder as i strictly followed what was generated for me in this link: http://users.telenet.be/tc76/winup/_winxp.html ...
Please note the difference: HFSPACK and HFSVPK. The first folder is for the Service Pack file and the second folder is for switchless installers. According to your latest ERROR_REPORT.TXT, you placed the Service Pack in the folder intended for switchless installers. You have to move the Service Pack into HFSPACK.
as for the dotnetfx.exe i used the 1 from MS ... but i do have to RyanVM's 1.1 ver & 2.0 ver ... i'll use these later when i start fresh once again ...
RyanVM's .NET 1.1 will work (put it in HFSVPK <-- note the name!) but RyanVM's .NET 2.0 only works from GUIRunOnce which HFSLIP doesn't support. Some people had success with Zxian's .NET 2.0 installer (this would go in HFSVPK too).
as for the file names, i already have the format: WindowsXP-KB######-v#-x86-ENU.exe ...

(...)

are there certain words or string that is being parsed ... if so which would it be?

It's important that every file that originally had "Windows" in its name still has "Windows" in its name. Also, for some hotfixes, "KB######" is required.
sirs, would there be an HFSLIP way for removing the cat files (if necessary as advised to me in nLite before)
There is no way right now (except for manually deleting the CAT files and editing SVCPACK.INF), but wait with that for now.
as for the number of hotfixes, i agree with you that there may be some that my sys does not need ... but you see, i am just trying to slipstream all avail just the same to end up with something like SP3 :whistle:
You should first try to work with HFSLIP the way it was designed to be used. Hotfixes which were never listed on the hotfix pages on this forum were never tested so problems may arise. I strongly suggest you use the hotfix pages on this forum as a guide for now until everything works. After that, you can start adding back the additional hotfixes.
and sirs, would it be possible to remove the non-Eng keyboards & non-Eng languages?
It is possible through the HFCLEANUP feature but someone else here will have to tell you what to do. I'm not that familiar with it.

Here's what I suggest you do (if you haven't done so yet):

1) Download the latest test release (60328c) and extract the HFSLIP_60328c CMD file into your HFSLIP folder

2) Move the Service Pack file from HFSVPK into HFSPACK

3) Move away (for now) all the hotfixes which are not listed on the hotfix pages here

4) Move away the winnt.sif file

After that, run HFSLIP (60328c) and make your CD (don't use nLite or anything else). Install Windows and see how far you get.

Edited by Tomcat76