HFSLIP, The 2K/XP/2K3 slipstreamer

tommyp

If that file is an "extra" meaning that there no muweb.dll (or muweb.dl_) in your source\i386 folder
If that file is not part of the source\i386
Don't those two say the same thing?
rename your muweb.dll to muweb.dl_
Here, I thought you would need to compress it (MAKECAB) first. Edited by Super-Magician

teotwawki - please post back after testing with the current version. Very few of us do the multiboot cd's.

Just tried with the 60220 version and got the same problem.

I think I'll try a run through with a plain W2K CD to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Will post back soon.

Can you try testing without a multiboot cd? Are you sure you have your multiboot bootloaders and other modified files on your cd set up correctly? Have you tested a virgin source to verify it's an HFSLIP issue or perhaps you are doing something incorrectly?

Just tried with the 60220 version and got the same problem.

I think I'll try a run through with a plain W2K CD to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Will post back soon.

Yea, the plain W2K server CD I just HFSLIP-ed works fine so the problems I'm haveing with the 3-way Pro/Server/Advanced must be more to do with the multi-boot than HFSLIP or anything I'm doing.

I'm curious about the bit in HFSLIP when it asks for the path to the booting version. Is there a bit of detail on that published somewhere ?

Meanwhile I'll try to make a single-boot disc from the 3-way original, keeping it's paths.

Thanks for adding the changelog to the first post; quite handy.

Suggestion/Request: add the contents of HFAAO to ERROR_REPORT.txt.

- Sub-suggestion: add contents of FDVFILES to ERROR_REPORT.txt...not sure how useful that would be, though.

DX7 vs. DX9 is still giving me problems. I now revert to DX7 when I use addons even without CODECS (or codec addons). Still trying to get the problem accurately diagnosed...

Tain, I'm not 100% sure about this, but it's worth a shot. If you are current machine is a FDV installation, you need to re-enable your 16 bit subsystem. See his site for details.

Thanks for the idea, but I don't think that is the issue. I built/installed my workstation OS in SEP05 and the patch is supposed to be for OCT-FEB. Just to be sure, I checked the patch INF and saw that its main function is to add a bunch of registry keys. My registry already has those keys so I believe that I'm OK.

Unless you think I should run the patch anyway?

Edited by TAiN

@FDV: Thanks, and welcome back!

I just ran HFLSIP with a lot of variables eliminated and DX9 came out alright...I am adding things back in hopes of discovering the culprit...it seems to be one of the addon packs that I am using but it will take some time to figure out which one(s).

Edited by TAiN

OK, I think I've got this annoying problem nailed down. Whenever the install process has to stop and ask the user (me) to locate a file that is missing, I consistently get a dorked-up DX9c installation that dxdiag.exe reports as DX7. The point in the process that I am referring to is the "Registers components" phase, I believe. That is where setup/hfslip installs addon packs and registers HFEXPERT/CODECS.

If there is an INF in CODECS or one of the addons that doesn't point to the right file, there is a train wreck behind the scenes and DX9 is derailed. It doesn't seem to matter which addon/codec/file is missing; if the installer has to stop and ask then DX9 won't report be reported by dxdiag properly.

I wonder what else might be going wrong along with DX9...

Edited by TAiN

The fix that's included in version 60304 and up only kicks in when DX9 and codecs are involved. It doesn't take into account possible issues between DX9 and addon packs. I'll see if I can remedy this by tomorrow...