How much juice an App is using?

coldoven

Hey everyone--

I'm using the 3 month trial Norton 2004 that came with my Inspiron 1200. I notice that the constant updates are eating up my Free Space like it's going out of style.

I poked around in the Add/Remove and on the Task Manager, and I can't seem to figure out how to tell just how much of my system Norton is using.

I'm running XP SP2.

(on a side note-- man, I wish I'd never even let Norton get a foothold on my cpu. It looks like just Removing it is only the tip of the iceburg. From what I gather, after an uninstall, you not only have to manually search and erase files, but you'll have to clean up the registry and who-knows-what-else too. And you still probably wont get it all.)

I would recommend downloading ProcessExplorer as it offers many more details than Task Manager. Now when you say "Free Space" are you referring to hard drive space or RAM and virtual memory? As far as having to chase after the remains of the app after removing it, I've never had a problem once removing a full install... to save the majority of the CPU you can turn of the "live system protect" option, I know thats not exactly what its named, but that eats the majority of your processing power constantly keeping an eye on your files.

(on a side note-- man, I wish I'd never even let Norton get a foothold on my cpu. It looks like just Removing it is only the tip of the iceburg. From what I gather, after an uninstall, you not only have to manually search and erase files, but you'll have to clean up the registry and who-knows-what-else too. And you still probably wont get it all.)

I agree with kelsenellenelvian. Look in your event viewer and you may see errors of your profile hive not closing properly with system shutdown as Nortons refuses to be managed. The shear number of registry entries that Nortons adds will make it ugly when uninstalled. I use Avast4Home and am happy with it. Once you try a good alternative to Nortons, then you will never go back to Nortons.

I prefer not to buy computer systems with all this trial junk added in with an OS image. It simply removes your freedom of choice.

Thanks everyone (sorry I've been away for a spell)

I'll take heart of your suggestions-- for starters, i'll turn off the "live system protect" (or is it live update? i'll have to go through Norton and keep my eyes pealed.) * thanks Ringfiner.

And, the same to you, kelsenellenelvian-- when I'm referring to free space (and forgive me my lack of knowledge, I'm new to the game) I mean the little pie chart it shows you after you open "Properties" on your C drive.

it looks like I'll want to trash Norton sooner or later.

However, as it's like a planter's wart with roots deep in my system... can you guys suggest something more than what I'm going to do to get rid of it?

1. run Windows Add/Remove (I dont think Norton has its own... though it should.)

2. restart

3. manully search and trash any remaining norton files/folders.

4. then... some how clean up my registry..... I'm guessing I'll have to look into some kind of software for this... If anyone would like to make a suggestion... I'm all ears, er, eyes.

And if that doesnt get rid of it, I dont know what will!

I prefer not to buy computer systems with all this trial junk added in with an OS image. It simply removes your freedom of choice.

Yeah, I know.. sigh.. but Dell was just in my price range and I didn't know where else to start looking.... thanks to Forums like these, down the road, I will be better informed.

There is so much Dell garbage on my laptop, I dont even know where to start, but I am gaining ground.

To safely replace Nortons.

1. Download a suitable Antivirus replacement.

2. Disconnect from Internet.

3. Run Windows Add/Remove on Nortons.

4. Restart.

5. Install your replacement Antivirus program.

6. Reconnect to Internet.

Removing folders, files or registry entries should only be done if are sure of what you are doing. CCleaner may help to clean the HDD and registry, but do be selective of deleting registry entries.

I don't understand what all the fuss is all about. I'm using gobs of Norton programs, ie ghost, AV, WinfaxPro. And I have gobs of other programs on my main drive. But my total HD is 9.4 GB with about 65GB free. But this isn't even a worry, I have 2 other drives that beg to be filled with a total of 290 GB of free space. O.K., so my ram is filled with with 550 mb resources, but I still have 450 free. Suggest getting more ram and a second HD. Why go with a second rate AV program. Symantec is the best. :lol:

Suggest getting more ram and a second HD.

On a laptop? The batteries would not like this at all.

I do not understand how Norton is the best? I have used Norton and other Antivirus programs. My system remains clean and even if a virus or other baddie is found, then Avast4Home will deal with it and it does it all free of charge. Now that is good value for money. The 1st post does explain problems with Nortons AV eating resources? :blink:

Edit: If you search around, then you may find "The best Antivirus program" poll around where you can vote with pride without a reason to back it up. This thread does relate primary to uninstalling concerns.

Edited by MHz