HFSLIP your codecs

tommyp

One problem doing codecs this way.

When new version of Codecs comes out (particularly QuickTime and Real Alternatives) how do you uninstall the old stuff to re-install the new stuff.

I had HFSLIP'd some CODECS on a new OS build and then, next **** day, QT Alternative and Real Alt 1.67 came out. So I said screw it and haven't done it since and just do manual install of above 2 after installing OS.

saugatak

I highly recommend you one of the imaging solutions - Power Quest Drive Image (the best on my opinion but bought by Norton now), Norton Gost, Acronis True Image and there is a free program by a French author (unfortunatelly I don't remember the name). And if I'm not mistaken there is a new progect somewhere in Unattended Forum with such a program too.

The point is: you install Windows once with all tweaks you need (configue all program the way you like), then you make an image of this partition on other logical partion or CD. When you feel somethings going wrong with you system just roll back - restore this image (takes 2 minutes for me) and you will get just installed and configured Windows again.

When you get new codecs just install them as usuall, take needed files, then restore the image and change old files by new ones. You can make a new image after that and delete the old one.

If you like experimenting with installing programs/codecs it's a good choice too: install "clean" Windows (without codecs), then try installing different codecs each time rolling back and compairing which one is better and what files are needed. (You can do it in virtual computer too of cause :)

And I know what TommyP can answer you: it will take only half of an hour to HFSLIP new source, burn CD and install Windows again :D

Edited by Oleg_II

• 1 month later...

I am having a few problems with this but I think that it may be because some of the codecs have been changed/updated. I am using the newest KLMC1.51 and installed *all* options.

Of codec lists that tommy posted, I don't get these files loaded:

3ivxDSMediaSplitter.ax
ac3filter.cpl
CLVSD.ax
CoreAAC.ax
CoreFLACDecoder.ax
DirectVobSub.cpl
ir50_lcs.dll
MatroskaSplitter.ax
mpeg2dmx.ax

QT:
qtmlClient.dll

Although I did get a 3ivxDSmux.ax...could that be a new/replacement version for 3ivxDSMediaSplitter.ax?

Real gets a bit weirder. I can get some of the files listed by tommy, but others seem to be new versions i.e., I get drv1.dll and drv2.dll instead of the "3260" series in tommy's list. I do, however, get some of the 3260 series:

atrc3260.dll
cook3260.dll

Are my files all screwed up or does the thread need to be updated? Should I scour the net for the files? That would likely leave me with various mis-matched versions that may cause problems.

Edited by TAiN

Tain, I didn't plan on updating the first posting of this thread because there wasn't much excitment about this. It is not mandatory to place all the binaries listed in the codecs folder. In fact, I don't use most of those codecs anyway. Since this posting I have added more thing to my installation infs, but the remainder of the files are pretty much the same. Perhaps these links may help with finding these files. http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=101200 and http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=323635

Wow, tommy. Those links are right on target! Just how much DO you rule? :)

I'm going to put all of these pieces together this weekend and perhaps contribute (gasp!) a consolidated solution that is customized for HFSLIP.

Cheers!

I don't understand those other links, but luckily the only thing currently not working for me is .wmv streaming within firefox.

Just thought I'd mention that MediaCoder has a bunch of the required DLL files, and they all seem to work fine together. While you're there, rate it a 5. It seems to be incredibly fast, and the encode quality is ok too. :thumbup

post-58925-1140852186_thumb.png

Here is a consolidated zip of Yzowl's modded codec pack. I am going to merge this with tommyp's info and hopefully end up with an HFSLIP-friendly codec pack.

One question, though. I have wmfdist.exe in my HF folder and it is bascially WMA/V codecs...is there a conflict between that and these other codec installers? Both Yzowl and tommyp have WM codecs; shouldn't we go with either/or but not both?

EDIT: I guess the zip was too large...here is a rapidfile link: http://www.rapidfile.net/download1.php?id=1367

Edited by TAiN

Tain - Thanks for the updates here. If you are using the WM codecs, it's easier to grab them from microsoft as they are OS dependant. This is why I left those out of my codec instructions on the first message on this thread.

Would you mind if I modded the first post to link to your download link?

TP

Tain - Can you begin a new thread with codec slipstreaming so I can close this one? It sounds to me that you would like to champion this. This is great because the developers would like to continue to add more features, as opposed to keep ever-so-changing codecs up to date. I can help as needed. Thanks!

Sure thing. Just gimme some time to iron out some bugs and write up a thorough post...I'll probably steal most of your first post :)

Sorry about all of the delays!

For those who are interested: Please post your preference for how to implement codecs with HFSLIP. ie, the current "dump a zip" method vs. the new addon pack method vs. one of the myriad other methods.

Right now I am thinking of staying with the zip dump and then posting an addon pack version of the same fileset.

Thoughts?

HFSLIP a directory containing all codec files etc. into %WinDir% i.e. %SystemRoot%\Codecs and register unregister them as necessary. I hate having loads of non OS related files lying around in \system32. You could also add that folder to %PATH%.

Personally I think a list of zips would be best. Some people love quicktime (I hate it), some want divx and some don't, etc. It may be easier to maintain having separate zips for the codecs you like/want. As a sidenote, the list I have on the first thread is only for decoding, NOT encoding. I would prefer to have only decoding codecs.