HFSLIP your codecs

tommyp

That's because I had to download several codec packs in order to find individual files, in particular DirectVobSub.cpl . That paricular file was found inside of a codec pack that a msfn member created. It can be found in this thread here ( http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=14614 ) . On a side note, I found some of the codecs in question inside my Xbox Media Center folder. After copying the greater majority of codecs from the K-Lite Mega Codec pack v1.38, I saw that DirectVoBSub.cpl was inside Unattended Codec-Pack v1.7 . So I copy 'n pasted the contents of the Unattended Codec Pack v1.7 folder to my HFEXPERT \ CODECS folder . When I was asked to overwrite a file, I would check the date and file size of whatever filename popped up. When I saw that the Unattended Codec Pack v1.7 files were newer than those I found on my machine, I overwrote them so that only the newest files would be present. But since I copied and pasted the entire contents of the Unattended Codec-Pack v1.7, I also copied those particular codecs inside the HFEXPERT \ CODECS folder that TommyP didn't mention.

:whistle:

Messy ? Yes. But I figure that people would just delete the unwanted codecs. :P

Edited by nite0859

@nite0859 - Thanks for posting. I'm too lazy to check out the versions. All I have to say is to be careful if quartz.dll and any wmp binaries are in the list. If you try doing additional ones, you may wreak havok on your system. So please be careful. On the flip side, if additional codecs are there, the binaries are registered during installation. Good luck and thanks for supporting HFSLIP.

@TommyP, no the CODECS folder.

I searched my existing system, which has DX9 already installed, and I don't see "d3dx9_27.dll" anywhere, so I don't think APPREPLACE is the right folder.

Myy guess is that it's a new .dll to be slipstreamed in the CODECS folder. Am I wrong?

Some interesting information about D3Dx9_?? DLL's

and Downloads for D3Dx9_24 to D3Dx9_27

Simple Breakdown:

D3Dx9_?? DLL's aren't codec's, They are an integral part of DirectX for shading that's no longer included in the standard DirectX package on Microsoft Update. They are only available in the SDK's and the number and functionality changes with every SDK release ( _24 _25 _26 _27 and _28 ).

Most commercial programs that require them, include them in their install. But many smaller utilities don't because the size of the dll in question is as big or larger than the distributed program.

If you don't have any programs that wont run w/o them, then don't worry about it.

It's basically just another Microsoft F-up.

Read the links I provided, should explain it fairly well.

Hey TommyP...

Very nice idea, but... I just noticed a bad thing...

I have two installations of Windows 2000 running side by side. The one on the first partition is an installation of Win2K with SP4 slipstreamed; IE6, DX9, .NET and the hotfixes were installed manually. The other partition holds an HFSLIPped installation (Win2K SP4 + IE6SP1 + DX9 + all hotfixes + Reader 7.0.5 + JRE 1.5.0_5 + .NET).

On both installations, I have manually installed the mega codec pack using the default settings; I've only changed some file associations at the end of the installation process (.avi, .MPEG and .wma were not associated with Media Player Classic).

Now... In the Administrator account, everything is fine. However, in the Power User account, playback of .mp3 files (WAV files seem fine and I haven't tried other formats yet) is degraded when playing with WMP 6.4 (haven't tried other players yet). Every 10 seconds or so, the audio "skips forward" by about two to three seconds.

Uninstalling the mega codec pack fixes the above problem on both installations.

As far as I can remember, this doesn't happen with the light codec pack, which was installed up until a few days ago (I now use a different hard drive containing two fresh installations of Windows).

I'm now going to test this light version again to verify my words. If everything is still fine after that, I'd like to propose to make this "codec slipstreaming" accept the following:

- light codec pack

- Quicktime Alternative

- Real Alternative

(I don't know about Real Alternative, but the Quicktime Alternative has more recent QT codecs than those contained in the mega pack.)

The second suggestion is a possibility to install Media Player Classic while keeping WMP 6.4 (mplayer2.exe) intact.

Edited by Tomcat76

We're getting somewhere...

First off, I was talking about the "full" version as the alternative to the mega pack. The "lite" in "K-Lite" probably got me on the wrong track.

I've installed the full pack about an hour ago, but the problem occured then as well.

After a bit of testing, it appears that the Frauenhofer MP3 codec (of either package) is responsible for the problem I'm experiencing. Unticking MP3 during installation fixes it.

There's one other problem I haven't noticed before. MP3 files (don't know about other formats yet) stutter right in the beginning of the song. This I found out playing back a few files which don't have a silent "lead in". As with the other issue, it only happens in the Power User account. I still need to figure out what's causing this one. It's for sure something in the codec package as uninstalling it completely makes the stuttering go away as well.