My modem and XP will not be friends!

Haribo

I am new here.. nice site

Anyway, last week I purchased a new Advent 5490 Laptop PC, which came installed with WindowsME, I decided to upgrade to XP after seeing a friend using it, however the system check says I may need new drivers or something for my modem (smart link V.90 56k) and also that it does not understand my modem settings in the control panel.

I cannot think of what is up with the control panel settings it all seems ok but whatever I do and wherever I look I cannot find the drivers for the modem, the driver on the smart link site (ht*p://www.smlink.com/download/index.htm) does not seem to work when I try to install it.. this is really frustrating me I tried everything even just going ahead and installing XP but still the modem does not work... any help would be very greatfully appreciated, thanks-

Haribo. UK

Hi haribo, welcome to the boards :D

first off, by the sounds of it you upgraded with the XP install, NEVER do this as you end up with problems and a lot of mess left on your hard disc.

probably the most common complaint we hear about when people install XP is "it doesent like my modem" when you bought the laptop it came bundled with a cheap modem ( they usually do ) and so its not very well supported by the manufacturers in terms of new drivers etc, im not sure about Laptop modems ive never bought one, but it should only cost you about £20 to £30 for a newer, faster modem that wont hog so much of your systems rescources! not a bad upgrade for the cash you should see a big improvement in your connection if you do.

make sure you get a hardware modem and you should be fine, if its Win2k compatible its probably also XP compatible, try the 2k drivers and if they dont work there should be an update for it.

or.. if you have an external modem why not try that?

if the only flag thats popped up is your modem, id say thats pretty lucky :)

as your new, please read the [b:416c74f488]forum rules[/b:416c74f488][/color:416c74f488] Haribo, no duplicate posts, your new ill let you off, normally we send the boys round :nerves :rolleyes:

You may want to check the upgrade report. It should be in c:windowsupgrade.txt

That is a file created upon migration from one OS to XP.

There it will/should list all the incompat hardware and software. Check to see if your modem is listed.

also check ht*p:www.microsoft.comhcl

That is the Hardware Compatibility List. Any hardware that is tested for Microsoft Certifiation is listed there.

If all else fails, try the Generic Modem.