IE6 Not Responding

Wijono

Using IE6 SP1 under Win98SE to open certain websites, especially one with php page, can take almost forever, it sometime even end up with IE6 Not Responding!!

However, opening the same site with IE6 SP2 under WinXP SP2 pose no problem.

Does someone has the same experience and know how to work around it?

Thanks a lot.

You shouldn't be affected by a server-side technology, except maybe the fact that some CMS output dreadful html, table stacked pages etc.

Could maybe be compression, a lot of php pages use gzip...

Are these random occurances or are there linkable sites that constantly affect you? Maybe theres something else the pages use (XML, media etc).

Have you, or have you had, the php interpreter installed?

Using IE6 SP1 under Win98SE to open certain websites, especially one with php page, can take almost forever, it sometime even end up with IE6 Not Responding!!

Which one ? Can you give an example url please ? Can you come here without problems ? It is php I believe.

eidenk

www.msfn.org/board/... and www.microsoft.com , example :). I think, what it depends from long ping, maybe.

PS Several minutes ago I have tried to open other reference without a stop of loading of page www.microsoft.com (on Win98SE). IE6 SP1 has hung.

Edited by Elektrik

IE5.5SP2 on WinME here.

No problems with those sites here albeit IE is slightly slower to display the Microsoft page than K-Meleon (Gecko engine like Firefox) and Opera.

PS : for those who do not know the new Opera browser 8.50 is not only free but also ad-free.

To answer eidenk, following is an example of the website that I have problem with:

http://www.detik.com

As I said, I can open that website with IE6SP2 under WinXP SP2 with no problem.

BTW, for IE6 SP1 under the Win98SE I have done all the security updates.

Anything else that I can do to improve that situation?

This one freezes my IE5.5SP2 (+ all security updates). I must then terminate it with a task manager.

Anything else that I can do to improve that situation?

Use another browser for that site I would say. I have tried K-meleon and Opera. They both open this site with no problems.

I meant to ask before, but are you on dial-up or another slow connection? I think its down to IEs rendering method and the way modern pages are written, which don't sit well on a slow connection.

This site is mild, but has google ads, heavily stacked tables and script.

Microsoft site uses flash, script and css (on different servers so IE will use more simultaneous connections)

And that Indonesian site, wow, it appeared locked, but I left it and it came up after a minute or so, even on my 2MB connection. I think they have slow servers also, but the page is filled with script, tables, css, images and flash all competing for download.

IE can appear to hang when it is waiting to figure out how to render, if a connection breaks it doesn't know to handle it.

Firefox is much more intelligent at rendering, as is opera. IE6 has been patched, but is still getting very old now.

EDIT: Yeah, just clicked around that site, most of the pages also display the 'always loading' problem even when fully rendered, really annoys me also as it stops pages being in history/available offline.

Edited by mitsubishi

Answer for mitsubishi: I am using 512K ADSL connection.

As mentioned by mitsubishi, I have tried with Firefox 1.07, that website open in few seconds only. What a speed browser!!

However, nothing seems to be perfect in this world. Websites that need Mapguide won't work with Firefox, there is no suitable plug-in, the Java Edition of Mapguide does not work either, what a pity.