Help with Adminstudio

hohner

Hi,

I'm trying to use Installshield Adminstudio 6 to edit the NeroSuite.msi file to allow it run without the need for SetupX.exe.

Currently if you try to launch the msi alone it will report an error stating you need to launch the msi by starting SetupX.exe

As I'm very new to the use of this powerfull tool I thought I'd see if anyone could point me in the right direction to get me started.

Thanks

Hi.

I don't have the Nero MSI, but I can give you some tips.

Try opening the MSI with the editor, and look at the property table. Look for something that says LAUNCH_FROM_SETUP_EXE -- YES or whatever similar to that, and change the property value to NO.

:)

Also,

Check for a ISscript8.msi file or something similar, the setiup.exe may be just running that, so when you try to run the msi directly it hasnt got the ISscript8.msi installed.

You need to run the IScript8.msi first then you may be able to run the NeroSuite.msi.

I havent used this method specifically on this app, but a few others with similar problem were resolved this way.

Cheers,

Ry

I searched the msi but couldn't find anything which stated Launch Condition or similar.

I also can't find an ISScript8msi file.

The ISScript only exists if the installer is built with the InstallScript MSI technology. It doesn't work on a normal msi. :)

Hi,

If you delete the custom action that ends somthing like INTF - which is about the third down - it removes the check for setupx launch. I'm afraid I'm not by a pc with admin studio on so I can't give you the full name, but will do as soon as I can.

if nero's msi needs setup.exe to run....

1. You will need to add ISSETUPDRIVEN with a value of 1 to the property table

2. Go to the Custom Action table and put a condition in with the editor "OnCheckSilentInstall" that will come out always false or delete all the condition checks entirely.

---Best practices would suggest that you make these changes and save them as a transform (.mst), not directly to the .msi itself.

You will still need to install isscript before installing nero or capture the installation and repackage it (which might end up being a little easier).

It's easier to just do a repack of the whole thing. As a matter of preference I always choose to do the old style snapshop (two stage). You'll run into way less problems this way, especially when you're dealing with an application that installs drivers and/or services.

You will however need to edit the registry entries captured prior to compiling the project into an msi file. Especially look out for entries pertaining to the actual CD-RW drive. If you use VMware, it's a NEC VMware or something similar. Nero has always been one of the more time consuming apps for me to repack. It takes time and attention to detail, but it's always worked for me.

It's easier to just do a repack of the whole thing.

Most of the time, this is true. But in this case, it is against the MSI packaging's best practices and the Top 20 commandments. :) The reason: it is already an MSI. If they release an update or patch for their release, it will not work the repackaged MSI. :)

When it comes to msi files, I long ago gave up on best practices. Best practice for who? Certainly not me or anyone who wants to get some work done. For quite a long time I succumed to the "do not modify the msi, make an mst instead" rule. Well a couple of years ago I decided to buck that little piece of Microsoft propaganda. And let me tell you, my custom msi files and switchless silent installers improved dramatically. In some cases (Adobe Audition), I don't think a good, optimized, unattended install would not have been possible.

The only msi I have left intact more or less, is MS Office. And that's primarily because of the excellent resource kit utilities. Directly modifying msi files will definately open up a whole new world if you decide to give it shot (and you know at least a little bit about what you're doing).

Hey dude! Please don't get me wrong. I have nothing against that method. I myself do direct MSI editing too! :P And on very rare cases, I repackage MSI's as well. Especially if the author did a very bad job on packaging his software, and I'm not expecting updates from them. :lol:

Anyways, I just got my copy of Nero 7 Ultra. After snooping for about half an hour, I think I discovered the little secret of this program. Give me until tomorrow and I will probably post the solution on a different thread. (If I'm successful) For now, I have to study because I have a test tomorrow.

Hint: This program requires special (undocumented) switches. :)

Edited by totoymola

• 4 months later...