Memory Manager

Hmm I guess the basic idea of this software is the same as some of the tweaks that can be done in the registry files...like always unload unused dlls, and upload Windows XP codebase into memory, reduce prob of disk caching if u have a gig of mem and above and so on. It just seems to me that using that memory manager, 7-max, there could be a higher chance of some programs crashing out. Thanks for the link though.

It's not really worth it... I've found that memory "managers" often conflict with Windows in terms of your memory. I can possibly see the benefit on Win98/ME, but not any NT based OS. Let Windows XP take care of itself. My laptop runs all kinds of memory intensive apps all the time (7-zip, VMware, etc) and when all of them are closed again, it's back to it's speedy ol' self.

I agree Zxian, I used to run an app called RAMClear, which would allow you to do the 'ol clear RAM feature. However, I would notice that sometimes the RAM app itself was the one hogging the most memory and virtual memory out of any app I was running. They're really not worth it, as Zxian said, let XP manage itself, task manager is all you need. :)

dirtwarrior, basically, i found that, when you do /3GB and delete the file ntoskrnlpa.exe (dont if you have =>4GB ram)

that windows used far less memory than without it, like 45MB in my tests. (with other apps installed of coarce)

but it has no effect in my microwinX project, @ bootup atleast.

so single processor machine, with under 4GB ram needs ntoskrnlpa.exe i think

or you can add this line to the boot.ini /NOPAE

see if you can still run java, in a website with IE, if so, then /NOPAE does the same thing as ntoskrnlpa.exe being deleted

basically, your boot.ini, you'd have like

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\X="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect /3GB /NOPAE

where X is windows

Edited by gdogg