Windows 2003 Server

MSNwar

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now that W2K3 is out of beta that makes this thread redundant. I am thinking about "Un-Pining" it unless MSFN members would like to keep it here a little longer. I could trim the fat out of it and leave the questions and answers for future reference for anyone that is still using the beta. Some of you took the time and effort to assist others when necessary and I appreciate it.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think this thread is totally redundant just yet.

The idea was to give some basic info on the OS.

If you want to use 2003 Server or try it out , do what I did and get onto your national MS website and order some trial copies. I got the Standard and Enterprise editions trials - so thats 1 years worth of free Windows Server for me! When my time has run out, order the next trial or back to the aging Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

UK ppl click here for a trial copy

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Sir,

Our small ministry is looking for the most affordable avenue for moving into the server 2003 system.

Could you please share with us from your experience how we could best do this.

Sincerely,

Dale ruebush

This is a great news.  But the major thing i just wonder whether Win 2003

supports Visual Studio .Net.  I had major problem which set up Visual Studio

.Net on Windows Datacenter Server.  If anyone knows any information about

win 2003 and VS .Net, plz post the links or info.

VS .Net works just fine on Windows 2003 Standard.

:)

• 6 months later...

@ihei:

It would help if you said where you were from i.e. US, UK, etc...

Also depends what you plan to do with it i.e. if its just for a file/logon server, then all you need would be the std version of server 2003. and how much you've budgeted for it, etc.

If you can find it cheaper, the Small Business Edition (Std) which you can get bundled with some servers (or seperately)

HP/Compaq were bundling it with some of their servers models a few or so months back - try looking/contacting a decent supplier like Insight (UK or US) for offers - Dell or IBM might have similar good offers

I myself choose to get the server's basic and bought the licenses seperately and depending on your requirements & "situation", the prices fluctuate considerably i.e. the education price I have are completely different to normal buisness & public sector pricing.

I got the Getting Started guide book instead of the CD(s) (supplier's fault) but managed to keep it for free. Its handy to get a "big picture" of what you can do and achieve and a few howto's on things. Wouldn't have got it but makes slighty interesting reading, even if they dont know simple english lol ;)

Anyhow, good luck with your choice - as a server choice, I luv it, even minor issues can be solved with paitence, searching and time.

Also, if you have a fairly decent machine you can spare, you could always register and download the trial as "mendipjohn" mentioned as see how you get on with it. Bear in mind not to use it as a final solution otherwise you'll have a nasty surprise after 180 days hehe (it shuts down after you've started it and logged on...as I remember - dont think you can upgrade from the trial and why would you really, knowing its a trial hehe)

@MSNwar:

I would suggest you do strip this topic of useless posts (no offense guys 'n' girls) as its not particually useful to beginners to wade through general chatting really ;)

powerzone:

If your refering to the book you buy, best look elsewhere as if you're after it for free, you know thats illegal, however if you dont want to part with £££ or $$$ then you have a look at:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...-us/welcome.asp

and there's plenty of resources at:

The Windows Server 2003 Homepage

(sorry for a such a long post everyone....anyone I missed??? :rolleyes: )

Regards,

Nathan.

• 2 months later...

I manage a smal IT service company. I received a copy of 2003SBS from microsoft a few months ago. When attempting to install it in the lab, the 2K server (PDC) I was using it on as an update, halted at the system check. Seems that even though I removed a trust from AD sites and svcs, setup won't recognise it as gone. So it is just hanging there.

This upgrade is due to the planned addition of remote desktop, as I am working on a roll-out of laptopsthat users need to be able to access their desktops from both within, and without the organisation. To this end, would it be best if 2003SBS is installed on the PDC, or on the ISA Proxy server? (Only two servers on this network).

I am none to thrilled to have to tell our customers that in the upgrade, they will be having to replace all of the client licenses. If this is installed on the Proxy server, could I use the 2K PDC to service the existing clients? Perhaps running the proxy through the PDC? Thanks...JK :wacko:

• 1 month later...
I'm sure it has Solitaire (lol do you play that crap?)

Win2k3 isn't a gaming OS, so don't expect Microsoft to support Gaming and Multimedia on Win2k3 and release patches to fix any future problems relating to it. Some users who take this path could probably get stuck in a few months time, and will end up going back to XP.

Very true, although the games that I tried a year or so ago ran fine I ended up going back to XP anyway, its fun to install windows 2003 everyonce in a while, messing around with OS's never gets boring.

A very big reason to use 2003 is the stability if you ask me, I am already running loads of programs at the same time including a very overloaded DC++ and I will be installing 2 extra harddrives pretty soon too, untop of my 4 current ones. I hope 2003 will give me the extra juice I will need to keep everything running smoothly for days in a row.

And btw, those windows games, especially solitaire, rule when you are waiting for something to install, don't underestimate the power of small non-resource-absorbing games like that ;).

• 1 month later...

Hi JK :D

Hadn't noticed the reply sorry, or I would have replied sooner...

I manage a smal IT service company. I received a copy of 2003SBS from microsoft a few months ago. When attempting to install it in the lab, the 2K server (PDC) I was using it on as an update, halted at the system check. Seems that even though I removed a trust from AD sites and svcs, setup won't recognise it as gone. So it is just hanging there.
Ahhh....as always, a inplace update/upgrade is always risky - no matter how they tell you its virtually faultless hehe. I didnt attempt it myself (mainly because it seemed more complex than my brain could handle but more importantly because the existing NT server wouldnt have been able to handle the requirements of 2003 and plus, I'd bought a brand new server for it hehe)

What I did was to export the users & shares from the old (NT) server and perform a clean install on the new server and import the users and shares from the old one and configure as needed (using the ADMT & manual reg export/import).

Providing you know how to set up all the relevent services correctly, its probably much easier to perform a clean install and configure it as needed - 2003 is very handy with its "guides" and "wizards" in setting up the "roles" so you cant go wrong really - a bit of advanced tweaking may be needed depending on the system and a knowledge of group policy would be helpful too, which I'm sure you have (I learnt slight after setting the system up hehe altho I could still use a course on it to help my "make-do" knowledge on it)

IMO you may have error's or other aspects which may interfere with the upgrade process but they might not "rear their head" until you actually do it i.e. have no effect on the system currently but may mess up the system during the upgrade process.

Like where an in-place upgrade on a client-style machine is less preferable to a clean install of the new OS, I would say the same is more appropriate.

If you can, try and get a physical new server too if money allows.

I'd always recommend HP/Compaq style server's but most the leading brands are good.

This upgrade is due to the planned addition of remote desktop, as I am working on a roll-out of laptopsthat users need to be able to access their desktops from both within, and without the organisation. To this end, would it be best if 2003SBS is installed on the PDC, or on the ISA Proxy server? (Only two servers on this network).

Firstly, I have to say I have no experience with a ISA Proxy server - what is that exactly? hehe - so I cant say for sure.

IMHO 2003 should always be installed as the DC, but I dont *think* it's particularly needed. Of course, if u want to run a true 2003 domain, you'll have to really. Dont know how many pc's/notebook's this is gonna server but i hope u realise that you can only server a certain number of clients attached to it - 75 (I think) is the limit.

I am none to thrilled to have to tell our customers that in the upgrade, they will be having to replace all of the client licenses. If this is installed on the Proxy server, could I use the 2K PDC to service the existing clients? Perhaps running the proxy through the PDC? Thanks...JK

When you say the client licenses, what licenses are you refering to?

the OS or the CAL's? If CALs, you may find buying Device CALs more appropriate as they may cost a tad more to buy, but they legally allow you to connect to as many windows server's as needed - except for microsoft "service" server's i.e. Exchange, etc.

OS licenses you wont need to buy again - If they are 95 then yes, you will need to buy them. Although I havent really tried, I just took it for read that they dont work "efficiently enough" on a 2003 domain.

98/2000/XP Pro licenses should be fine - 98 wont be group policy (2k-style) but can still work well enough if there's no money to upgrade and locked-down too (dont let no-one tell you different). Visit my workplace and I'll show ya (and that half my pc's are better locked down on 98 than my XP clients - tho thats my lack of GP knowledge + time really) hehe

NT W/S - I havent ever seen - once i think in someones house - so I'm not sure about this but I would "imagine" you would be able to use this OS too.

Good luck and post back or PM if you have any more questions, tho i imagine you have already chosen your actions already.

Sorry again.

Regards,

N.