AMD and Intel Processor differences

D8TA

Have you checked out scientific benches? Try running a distributive computing application on your machine. Try running any sort of number crunching and watch Intel quiver. I routinely use my cpu cycles for folding and go through work units like no one elses business. This is just an example of one of the many things I use my comp for besides just gaming, lets see HD footage encoding, vdo editing, etc etc.....

Really now??

Go and look at the Mersenne Prime Benchmarks and then say that again. If you compare a P4 3.0GHz (to an Athlon64 3000+ (those two are supposed to be "equal" by AMD's standards), the P4 is faster than the 3000+.

If you read up on the Intel vs. AMD dual core standoff at Tom's Hardware Guide, it showed that the AMD system had problems shutting down after having been on for a long period of time. I really want a system that I couldn't restart remotely... :whistle:

And how about this article? - Intel's 955X Dual-Core Chipset Better For Business Users Than NVidia's nForce4

Sorry... but people need to get off their bandwagons. I've heard people try to convince me that OpenOffice is just as good and powerful as Microsoft Office, but that's simply not true. There are features in MS Office that simply cannot be replicated in OO. Sure, OO has nice features over MS Office (built in save to PDF, etc), but in the end, for a business product, it just doesn't cut the cheese. Same story goes for AMD living up to Intel. My friend works for a redundant data storage company (we're talking 1.6PB here (1600 TB)- hasn't had any downtime in 5 years), and ALL of their servers are running Intel CPUs. All of them that serve 1.6PB worldwide. Doesn't anyone stop to think about why that might be? (Don't give me the crap about corporate agreements or contracts... It doesn't apply here.)

Agreed. Yes I have been bandwagoning a bit but thats aight. It seems Intel is pretty rock solid in the corporate environment. There are some benchmarks it wins and some it loses compared to AMD. But seing there are more that AMD wins in I am gonna stick with it for a while.

Agreed MS office is still ahead of OpenOffice though I use the later simply cause I dont have illegal software on my PC and I dont think its worth the money MS charges to have a legal copy of Office.

Intel 100% here. All the AMD procs that went downrange with us to Iraq 2 years ago are dead as suicide bombers now. Of course, 150 degree heat, sandstorms, vehicle fires and carbombs might have had a little to do with it =]

Oddly enough, all the Army laptops run Intel, and they all still work. Anything with an AMD logo on it died a quick death. Sorry, AMD uses inferior silicon. They are the Wal-Mart of processors. Cheap junk with reduced lifespans. There's a good reason the Army won't touch them with a 10 foot cattleprod. They suck, plain and simple.

maybe amd made them break in this war, because its a war based on lies

and about your killing people, god said though shall not kill, you are aware you goto hell now arn't you?

The people attacking the usa army in iraq, are the same thing as an american patriot, if iraq invaded usa over WMD, then the patriots would be attacking back. If someone came to steal my oil, I belive i'd probbally just sit back and relax, but not everyone is like me, and would obviously go protect the oil.

Edited by gdogg

maybe amd made them break in this war, because its a war based on lies

and about your killing people, god said though shall not kill, you are aware you goto hell now arn't you?

The people attacking the usa army in iraq, are the same thing as an american patriot, if iraq invaded usa over WMD, then the patriots would be attacking back. If someone came to steal my oil, I belive i'd probbally just sit back and relax, but not everyone is like me, and would obviously go protect the oil.

Guy, this is an IT related discussion, not about religion or your beliefs in war.

I know, he was going on about war, and stuff, so I just voiced my opinion on it.

I am not gonna go on about it anymore.

I think amds are great. Intels make way too much heat.

but anyway, this explains why intels work, and amds could of broke down. Amds have a rated temperature, in a laptop they are hot already, when an intel being a hotter processor, it can handle a little bit more heat, but being in a laptop it is going to be very hot, when an intel overheats, it slows down the processor, to avoid damage.

I bet if they were 3.2 Ghz laptops, in that heat there more like 1.2Ghz laptops.

Edited by gdogg

I know, he was going on about war, and stuff, so I just voiced my opinion on it.

Uh, no, I was 'going on' about my experience with technology in some of the most extreme climates, and how the different architectures fared. I think it's important to include my personal experiences with certain technologies on the battlefield, because those are valid working conditions (for me, anyway), and if a processor / laptop can hold up in a firefight, or an IED explosion, or a RPG attack, or a mortar attack, or being thrown at someone because you just ran out of ammo... My working conditions are a bit different than yours, yes, but they are still valid, aren't they? I am still working, aren't I? And my working experience regarding technology still counts, doesn't it? We do use a vast amount of technology in the Army, and while some of it is ruggedized, some of it is not. Wouldn't you want to know which processors fared the best in day after day of scorching 150F? It was Intel. Consistent uptime? Intel. MWR (That's Morale, Welfare and Recreation)? Intel. AMD consistently led to soldiers being demoralized, because they were breaking more often than the Intels were. Let me put it to you this way: You just came back from a 4 hour patrol. People tried to blow you up. People tried to kill you. Bad, bad things may have happened, and now all you want to do is sit in your room and watch a nice, relaxing movie or play a game on your laptop and you CANT, because it's an AMD and it crapped out because of the heat, or the dust, or a combination of things. Poor morale. You might think I am 'going on' about the war, but I am telling you where I work, and how I work, and my experiences with technology, because my job is valid and so are my experiences.

Personally, I could care less what you think about the war, since you're obviously not fighting it ;) And that's as far OT as I'll allow myself to get.

This has been a great discussion so far, and it's good to hear everyone sounding off about their choices. I can say in all honesty that I have learned a bit about AMD processors from some of the fanboys here, and yes, even I can open my mind a little bit and accept that in some areas, AMD is better suited for certain tasks. But under no circumstances should you ever take one to the desert

:D

Fact: According to the latest benchmarks, AMD processors are killing Intel. Intel has pretty much acknowledged that its P4 architecture generates way too much heat for the amount of extra processing power derived.

OTOH, Intel is more reliable not necessarily because AMD makes crap, but because Intel provides the C compiler that everyone uses and that compiler is opitmized for Intel's architecture, not AMD's. Also, Intel generally makes real high-quality mobos, and the quality on AMD mobos varies.

However, with respect to 64 bit architecture, it's a different story since AMD is setting the standards and the compilers. My guess is that on x64, AMD will be more stable, but we'll have to wait and see.

Crash, re Intel's hyperthreading, sounds great in theory but in reality it's not that great. Read TomsHardware or Anadtech. There's an "after you Claude" problem as the processor attempts to deterimine how to divvy up the task, allocate memory to each process, etc.

Instead of having hyperthreading make one processor act like 2 processors, it's better to just have 2 processors. With the dual core dies coming out, Intel' hyperthreading just becomes extra unnecessary baggage.

Also, I believe that you need XP or Win2k Server for hyperthreading support. If you have Win2k (like I do) you can't even take advantage of it but you can take advantage of dual processors.

And my working experience regarding technology still counts, doesn't it?

If you actually have one, I guess it would. Also, if you were able to write like a guy experienced in the computer area, rather than a PR rep on damage control, it would help immensely. Your excessive use of buzzwords like "technology" is another problem. People that are actually experienced and knowledgable in their given field rarely (if ever?) resort to buzzwords and market speak to create the illusion that they know what they are talking about.

Your posts contain nothing but vague statements with no detail to back them up. Example, from all the from all these dead AMD based laptops you claimed to have encountered, not once did you mention anything like a model number, CPU type (was it a simple DTR replacement chip, or a ULV (Ultra Low Voltage) model?). For people are actually experienced and knowledgable in the field, details like model numbers are more often then not remembered when it comes to troublesome/faulty equipment (nobody likes to beat a dead horse). The only thing you made absolutely clear was that AMD CPU sucked (died frequently), and that the competitors manufacturing was poor compared to intels (classic marketing FUD tactic).

One question. With all these dead laptops, one detail is obvious. The army (which ever one you claimed to be in...too lazy to check) didnt test any of them before hand to see if it could withstand the harsh environmental conditions (150F degree heat, sand storms, etc). Does this amry you work for regularily put untested equipment into real world use where it is needed and depended upon?

In conclusion; get a clue, THEN speak with authority.

In conclusion; get a clue, THEN speak with authority.

Interesting post, coming from a guy that obviously has very little working knowledge of computers themselves, judging from the lack of knowledge you display in your previous posts. You opinions regarding hardware and software seem to suit your mood and rarely follow any sort of cohesive path. Furthermore, you're obviously an AMD zealot with an agenda to push, regardless of the facts you conveniently omit in your dealings with others on this board. In short, you've got a very sweaty, precarious grip on reality. As far as my standing with the board goes, I could care less. I head back to Iraq in a week without a single AMD processor in my battalion this time, so our mission effectiveness should be quite a lot higher than it was the last go round.

Since you're too lazy to check, it's the United States Army. You know, the one that puts the canadians to shame regarding technological advancements and combat effectiveness. You really should see the canadian detachment cowering in Kuwait. It's a funny, funny thing. I've never seen grown men so scared in my life. No wonder your unemployment is so high.

Anyway, I'm out. Off to kill more insurgents and zealots. See you in a year, smokey ;)

Since you're too lazy to check, it's the United States Army. You know, the one that puts the canadians to shame regarding technological advancements and combat effectiveness. You really should see the canadian detachment cowering in Kuwait. It's a funny, funny thing. I've never seen grown men so scared in my life. No wonder your unemployment is so high.

Not to start any flamewars... but ever wonder why there's so much anti-americanism in the world? :rolleyes:

• World's longest sniper kill - Canadian Soldier in Afghanistan. 2,430 metres (7,972 ft) - That's over 1.5 miles!!! (Read)
  • The only reason your space agency has been able to do anything interesting in space recently - the Canadarm. Made by MacDonald Detwieler, a Canadian company.
  • World's leader in Hydrogen Fuel Cell techonology - Ballard Power Systems. Located in Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada.

Unemployment rates? A whopping 1% above the USA... oh wait a sec... the unemployment rate has been dropping in Canada over the past 10 years, while in the State's it's been fairly constant. Which government has been doing more about this? Not to mention that this has absolutely nothing to do with our military... you're making points that have no connections.

Vancouver [, Canada] is 'best place to live' - Notice how 3 Canadian cities are on the top 10 list, while there are no American cities? I think it speaks for itself.

I could go on for a while here, but that list should at least get you to think twice before bad-mouthing your nearest neighbour (not to mention the whole softwood lumber issue, which has more countries than just Canada worried). Sorry that I wasn't brought up in a country that spends most of its tax income on the military... :whistle:

Final Note - I'm usually not an anti-american zealot, but I will slam back those high-nosed Americans who feel that they are "better" because of their superior army. Sorry to say, there's been heaps of proof as of late that the USA has more problems than most people are willing to admit (anyone who's followed international news will know what I'm talking about).

Can a mod please close this before it gets out of hand? It's already starting to get off topic and it'll only get worse...

Edited by Zxian

Final Note - I'm usually not an anti-american zealot, but I will slam back those high-nosed Americans who feel that they are "better" because of their superior army

not that i dont like the americans or anything but when it comes to their army its not superior at all. the only reason anyone would think its superior is because of the sheer number of them to be killed. if you put the american army with equal numbers against most other armies in the world it would be slaughtered. ( sorry but it had to be said ). who else shoots their own soldiers in every single war theyve ever been in ?

Interesting post, coming from a guy that obviously has very little working knowledge of computers themselves, judging from the lack of knowledge you display in your previous posts. You opinions regarding hardware and software seem to suit your mood and rarely follow any sort of cohesive path. Furthermore, you're obviously an AMD zealot with an agenda to push, regardless of the facts you conveniently omit in your dealings with others on this board.

More wild accusations with no detail to back them up (yeah, like no one saw that coming ;) ). Would you care to provide a link to one of these posts you claim exist?

As for the rest of your post, you will have to do a lot better than that to get under my skin.