AMD and Intel Processor differences

D8TA

maxamoto lol. AMD uses cheap junk lol. haha

You really dont know what you are talking about. But what kind of laptops were they...the ones that burned out? Who was the manufacturer? You do know that AMD has a crap load of clones out there.....right? If the laptops were from a reputable manufacturer, then ok yeah I would agree with you. But till then I totally disagree. Never had problems with AMD and even crappy mobos on which they were installed on. Besides one comp all comps I have built and purchases are AMDs. Granted in laptops, AMD has a while to go to beat the Pentium M. Intel has a solid product there.

maxamoto lol. AMD uses cheap junk lol. haha

Actually, I know quite a bit about what I'm talking about. When I'm not kicking in doors and putting 5.56 slugs in insurgents or anyone else who gets in my way, I'm running the technology backbone of my batallion. There's a good reason the Army never considered AMD to be a part of our infrastructure. AMD has a track record of using inferior material in their fabs, and their yields prove to be much less viable in terms of usable output than Intel. In other words, more of their chips are junked due to manufacturing imperfections than Intel. Also, the x86 instruction set is owned by Intel, so no matter who you buy from you're still paying Intel some sort of percentage. So tell me, if AMD is so brilliant in their design and innovation, why are they piling their "innovation" upon the framework that is the computing industry as we know it, i.e. the x86? Furthermore, Intel has been making mainstream processors for a lot longer than AMD, thus the industry advantage. Look at the failure of American car companies to reduce their manufacturing footprint in the 80's and come up with a viable compact car to sell. The Japanese had almost 2 decades on them.

i dont care about reliability, no one even really knows how reliable anything is until its dead.

I can't even formulate a response to your statement, considering where you've chosen to park your run-down trailer in the reality the rest of us populate. But for sake of argument, the laptops that went to the desert with us last time were all name brands. HP, Compaq, Toshiba, Alienware, and some off-brand types like Averatec, etc. They all pretty much died. Dead. As in, stopped running. Burned out. What can I say, if you buy your clothes at Wal-Mart, you have to expect them to wear out twice as fast as if you bought high quality clothes from another retailer. That is, my friends, the reality of CPU praxis and theory.

A lot of fanboy comments in this thread.

maxamoto, do you ever consider the reason that AMD adapted Intel's x86 process is due to having a direct competition? If AMD developed a different method, it would severely hinder its sales because then consumers would have to deal with compatibility problems and support. This would have made the processor feud even worse than the current Intel Vs. AMD battle, where it is just a brand preference, to having two total different processing architectures, as in the Windows and Macintosh rivalry.

As for your claim of AMD producing 'inferior' processors, have you ever owned an AMD processor powered product yourself? I would also like to see some reputatable claims backing up your statement. For an 'inferior' processor company, I'm quite surprised my 8 year old AMD K6 266 MHz system is still up and running. Am I favoring AMD or Intel? Nope. My desktop is an AMD system, and my laptop is harnessing a Pentium III processor. As far as I'm concerned, both companies make great products, but unfortunately fanboys failed to comprehend that. Before you go around flaming others about living in a trailer and buying Wal-Mart clothes, perhaps you should inquire yourself.

perhaps you should inquire yourself.

I don't need to. I've seen AMD procs dropping like flies all around me ever since they started becoming mainstream ;)

As far as your comments about a compatability war go, think VHS and Betamax. It could have been done.

:yes:

I wouldn't consider myself a "fanboy", more of a realist. Again, the reality is if you spend less, you get less. People usually try and boost what they consider a "good buy" by becoming near-zeralot supporters of their choice of product. Makes them seem less like the bargain shoppers they really are and more like an intelligent consumer, in their own eyes, anyway. But for those of us who have seen the technology pushed to the most extreme of limits (Kosovo, Somalia, Desert Storm, OIF, etc), there is only one clear winner.

Edited by maxamoto

I don't need to. I've seen AMD procs dropping like flies all around me ever since they started becoming mainstream ;)

As far as your comments about a compatability war go, think VHS and Betamax. It could have been done.

:yes:

I wouldn't consider myself a "fanboy", more of a realist. Again, the reality is if you spend less, you get less. People usually try and boost what they consider a "good buy" by becoming near-zeralot supporters of their choice of product. Makes them seem less like the bargain shoppers they really are and more like an intelligent consumer, in their own eyes, anyway. But for those of us who have seen the technology pushed to the most extreme of limits (Kosovo, Somalia, Desert Storm, OIF, etc), there is only one clear winner.

It's quite obvious that you do not realize that AMD processors are not designed to operate more than 60C over an extended period of time. Due to the processor's different method of obtaining their speed, the AMD cannot take as much heat as Intel processors because the Athlon CPUs get their performance from heavy reliance on their memory controllers, whereas the Intel CPUs are not dependent on the RAM or any special HyperTransport type multipliers. Intel's forté has always been the raw processing power, which makes them the preferred processor for heavy duty 'number crunching' and obviously arid operating conditions.

By the way, I'm not sure if this holds true in Europe or not, but Betamax tapes was phased by VHS by the end of the 1980's, which proves my point that if AMD does develop a different processing unit, it would have met its fate like Betamax tapes as it will not compete with a company that has been around longer.

And for near the same price as an Intel 64 & Mobo, you could get 2 AMD 64's & dual-cpu Mobo...thats almost a no brainer...

It was so early in this thread that I think some have forgotten or never even read what I wrote early on. But it was along sort of related to what you wrote above. I would love build a system with dual CPUs (dual core CPUs I mean). I believe AMD offers the only solution to this right now, and probably at a fair price besides. Indeed, I love this capability, but I'm still in the Intel camp for the most part. Especially since most of what I work with is in the enterprise, not at home.

Err AMD rocks in the enterprise dude. Have you checked out cpu benches using enterprise software ever? Check out anandtech if you are concerned about it. Intel gets its a** literally handed to it by AMD procs. There is no and should be no questions as to the superirority right now of an AMD proc that is not going to be used in a laptop but everywhere else!

I swear some people have a major reading comprehension problem around here. Look past the end of your nose. Here is a quote from an article I linked to earlier in this thread, it's from Tom's Hardware Gudie:

A server purchase decision is usually driven by reliability, availability and serviceability issues rather than maximum performance. From this point of view, AMD still has a long way to go, because the top gun OEMs such as Dell, Fujitsu-Siemens, HP/Compaq, IBM and Toshiba are to a large degree locked in with Intel.

:whistle:

Edited by RogueSpear

Looked at one of the articles where Tom himself said Intel future gen dual core cant keep up with the current gen AMD dual core. The other article didnt say that AMD was inferior at all. In fact all it said and I am using your quote to prove my point is that the top gun OEMs are locked into Intel and not AMD because Intel has more clout when it comes to marketing and they have huge resources to be able to offer better deals and so on.

And dont believe the opinions at Tomshardware. Believe their facts not their opinions.

Well I'm going to end my participation in this pointless debate on this note: like maxamoto, I too have personally seen the huge difference between systems built around AMD and Intel CPUs, both laptop and desktop. The differences are obvious and clear and you don't have to be Nostradamus to predict that an AMD system will crash and crap out regularly while the Intel system will do what it was designed to do.

If you have nothing better to do with your life than play video games all day, then by all means go with an AMD system. If you actually some work to accomplish you'd be well advised to pony up a couple extra bucks for a real computer.

This is just another Intel/AMD FanBoys. Theres not much in valid opinions or facts here.

Intel's HyperThreading is a good technology, increases efficiency for running multiple processes at one time that require increased processing power.

AMD has moved the memory controller into the CPU which gets rid of another latency and bottleneck.

Personally all I use is AMD, aside from maybe that first 8088, and not too sure who made the 386...my K6-II 333Mhz, still alive and kicking after 7 years of 24/7 use, and the newest AMD 64 has no difficulties whatsoever. The only problems would be what it runs..Windows...Crash & Burn...Crash & Burn ;)

This is not true , AMD on a workstation is perfectly stable, never had a reboot in 3 years.

Where do you get your information ?

Well I'm going to end my participation in this pointless debate on this note: like maxamoto, I too have personally seen the huge difference between systems built around AMD and Intel CPUs, both laptop and desktop. The differences are obvious and clear and you don't have to be Nostradamus to predict that an AMD system will crash and crap out regularly while the Intel system will do what it was designed to do.

If you have nothing better to do with your life than play video games all day, then by all means go with an AMD system. If you actually some work to accomplish you'd be well advised to pony up a couple extra bucks for a real computer.

LMAO Stereotypes....AMD proc users = hardcore gamer all day?

Have you checked out scientific benches? Try running a distributive computing application on your machine. Try running any sort of number crunching and watch Intel quiver. I routinely use my cpu cycles for folding and go through work units like no one elses business. This is just an example of one of the many things I use my comp for besides just gaming, lets see HD footage encoding, vdo editing, etc etc.....