AMD and Intel Processor differences

D8TA

I think in the end someone needs to make a chipset for AMD CPUs that has the stability, reliability, and ease of driver installation as an Intel mobo has. Intel is almost always the last to release a chipset supporting some new whiz bang feature, whether it's a new memory spec or hard drive subsystem, but when they do release it, it is almost always rock solid from the start.

Just take a look at the crap that Via, ALi, SiS, and nVidia have put out over the years. Absolute nightmares.

amd 64 939 are the best for games in single core

amd x2 939 are the best processors for both video editing (with dual core programs) (and stuff like that) and gaming (but even better when dual core games come in the picture)

intel 775 cpus are the best for single core video editing (and stuff like that)

intel dual cores, well the suck, dont get one :P

Just take a look at the crap that Via, ALi, SiS, and nVidia have put out over the years. Absolute nightmares.

What crap have Sis, ULi/ALi, and nvidia put out? The only stupid thing I recall nvidia doing in their chipset was removing the APU.

I think in the end someone needs to make a chipset for AMD CPUs that has the stability, reliability, and ease of driver installation as an Intel mobo has.

IMHO a lot of this stems from people expecting too much from their $40 motherboards and $10 power supplies. If you really want quality, you will have to do research, and you will have to pay for it.

Edited by ssmokee

SiS - I recently took delivery of computers that were speced out to have Intel mobos. Don't you know it, they show up with SiS. So I figure, Ok I'll give it a shot.. can't even boot to a network for a RIS install even though the motherboard box boasts "PXE 2.0 Compliant!" Well that was the end of that. If I can't use RIS it goes back. Better yet, if it clearly doesn't support what it advertises, it goes back.

ALi - The absolute worst laptops I have ever had the mispleasure of supporting. Compaq laptops with an ALi chipset and AMD processor. Claiming to be expandable to a whopping 512MB of RAM I convinced my customer to do this. I then went through two months of finding a bug for Compaq. When you go above 384MB of RAM the system routinely crashes. Compaq finally admitted to this flaw, but didn't see fit to do anything other than advise not upgrading the RAM. These laptops then spent the next year shutting down on a regular basis due to overheating. They all eventually went to auction.

ALi again - Another round of laptops. This time Intel CPUs, but ALi chipset. The most god awful, slowest hard drive subsystem and memory subsystem I've ever seen. Like putting a two stroke engine in Semi Truck.

nVidia - While I don't have any personal experience with an nVidia equipped mobo, MSFN itself it bursting with anecdotal stories of the horror that their ATA/RAID chipsets inflict on their owners. Perhaps they've improved with the latest revisions, but I'm not about to give them a shot until I see some glowing reviews.

And yes, research is definately important. I always do my homework and that's what has led me to using Intel solutions for the last several years. But I hold no allegence to Intel. If someone comes up with something better I'm more than willing to purchase that solution, even if it costs more.

Edited by RogueSpear

@RogueSpear

obviously your have some bias, from listening to peoples problems that have nothing to do with the chipsets on the motherboards, but rather cheap motherboard manufaturers.

The best motherboard (performance wize) for an intel right now is an nvidia board. Just some fun facts.

and nvidia motherboards are currently, the head in innovation. with there build in firewalls, and nvraid.

Edited by gdogg

Intel blows...look at benchmarks and just keep quite peeps. Intel was dominating in media benchmarks but not anymore!

For those who are hardware oriented a nice piece on future processor manufacturing technology http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051020-5462.html

Did you even read what RogueSpear had to say? He admitted that Intel CPUs may not be quite as fast as AMD...

I've never had any really horrible experiences with either side.

My first computer was a P4 1.8GHz (Northwood) - a Dell. I've always known Dells to use Intel products - there's some sort of partnership there... Anyways, it worked just fine.

My second computer was my laptop. Pentium-M 1.4 Ghz (the one I'm using right now). Obviously, for the Centrino logo to hold true - Intel mobo. Any crashes that I've had on this thing are due to my own stupidity.

My third computer was an AMD Athlon T-bird 1.33Ghz. It had an ASUS mobo... can't remember what chipset. Then I upgraded it to an Abit mobo with the nVidia nForce2 chipset, and later to an AthlonXP 2000+ (it's current config). No troubles there. It's running 24/7 as a file server and crunching away at my girlfriend's SETI@Home project. 100% CPU usage all the time.

Although jcarle did tell me once that he found a piece of software that simply wouldn't run on AMD CPUs. It was the software that would manage a CD organizer (connected via USB). On Intel CPUs, worked just fine. On AMD CPUs, it simply wouldn't run. No error, just nothing. :wacko:

Intel 100% here. All the AMD procs that went downrange with us to Iraq 2 years ago are dead as suicide bombers now. Of course, 150 degree heat, sandstorms, vehicle fires and carbombs might have had a little to do with it =]

Oddly enough, all the Army laptops run Intel, and they all still work. Anything with an AMD logo on it died a quick death. Sorry, AMD uses inferior silicon. They are the Wal-Mart of processors. Cheap junk with reduced lifespans. There's a good reason the Army won't touch them with a 10 foot cattleprod. They suck, plain and simple.

Ok you're talking about ruggedized Computers and I think about Laptops, as stated a few posts we all agree, that Intels strenghts are in the Notebook Market and we are talking about Desktop PCs and it's unlikely, that they will be operated outside, that's out of spec and there are Computers especially for that.

And you're complaining about the quality of the silicon, but would you change your Notebook to a Panasonic Toughbook, allthough you're mainly work inside?

Sorry, but in my eyes you need special equippment, Desktops can also not handle Hollywood needs or Weather calculating in a reasonnable speed!

But one thing left to say, AMD for home, Intel for Office.

Intel 100% here. All the AMD procs that went downrange with us to Iraq 2 years ago are dead as suicide bombers now. Of course, 150 degree heat, sandstorms, vehicle fires and carbombs might have had a little to do with it =]

Oddly enough, all the Army laptops run Intel, and they all still work. Anything with an AMD logo on it died a quick death. Sorry, AMD uses inferior silicon. They are the Wal-Mart of processors. Cheap junk with reduced lifespans. There's a good reason the Army won't touch them with a 10 foot cattleprod. They suck, plain and simple.

Let me guess, youre the Iraqi information minister?

Let me guess, youre the (insert lame attempt at humor here)?

Nope, I was the guy pulling QRF (Quick Reactionary Force), kicking in doors and taking care of business.

All I'm saying is what I saw. The guys who brought out laptops had a lot of problems with the AMDs. Most of them died. I never said anything about ruggedized laptops, that was a conclusion many jumped to after reading my post. I'm taking about personal laptops here. AMD is cheap junk, usually used in conjunction with cheap junky hardware. Thus the comment about AMD being Wal-Mart processors. They are, and always have been, cheap junk. ;)

In my personal experience I've had more problems with AMD based systems than I'm willing to put up with. I'm not actually sure if this is due to the AMD processor or the completely substandard mobo chipsets put out by ALi, SiS, and VIA. I've seen way too much complaining on boards regarding nVidia chipsets. So much so that I would never try one out, at least not with my own money. I haven't heard too much about a solution with an AMD chipset however.

Well Via has to be one of the worst...I haven't had any problem whatsoever w/ Athlon 64 (s739) and an ASUS board. Some difficulty getting the Sata drives up and kickin' but that was due to that Microsoft crap Update Rollup