Windows XP Pro Setup Problems

jillc70

:( I am trying to install Windows XP Pro on a new, home-built system. The system has an Intel D955XBK mobo w/P4 Extreme Edition w/HTT 3.73 GHz CPU, 2 x Patriot 1-GB 240-pin DDR2 PC2 5300 667 MHz DIMMS, Samsung SH-D162 IDE DVD-ROM (as primary master), Plextor 716SA SATA DVD Burner on SATA 3, Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250-GB SATA II Hard Drive on SATA 1, Ultra USB 2.0 Internal Floppy Drive/Card Reader, and an e-VGA e-GeForce 6800 GT 512 MB DDR3 PCI-E graphics card.

I have been trying for 3 days to install Windows XP Pro and have had numerous problems. I have updated the BIOS for my mobo as well as the SATA RAID drivers, but nothing works. The latest problem is this: I get through the initial setup/copying of files, the computer reboots and goes to the Windows installation screen. It goes for a few minutes and gets to the point where it is installing devices. When the status bar gets about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way across, I get the dreaded blue screen. It states that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. It also gives me a stop error 0x000000F4.

I have tried various things such as disconnecting the SATA DVD burner so that all that is connected is the IDE DVD-ROM (from which I'm running setup), the SATA hard drive, and the floppy portion of the floppy/card reader (the USB cable is not connected). I still get the same result.

Does anyone know what could be wrong? I am desperate to get this working. I'm going out of my mind thinking I sank all this money into this PC and can't use it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Sounds like it could almost be bad memmory, try removing the dimm in slot 1 and replacing it with dimm in slot 2 and run with only one dimm if you get the same error try swapping them. I've seen random errors with bad memmory but this could be an odd case that you would get tthe same error every time or arre there random errors? Also be sure that you are pushing f6 in the begining of the install to instal the new sata driver off of the floppy drive. Also Forgot to ask size of power supply and have you made sure that all of your cooling fans are working (case,cpu and power supply)?

Edited by Misha

Misha,

Thanks for your reply. I was getting random errors before I updated the BIOS today. I had another stop error (0x0000007B) a few times. I also had a data error (cyclic redundency check) a few times. I was also having trouble getting the BIOS to recognize the IDE DVD-ROM. Since I updated the BIOS, the DVD-ROM is recognized and I have been getting the same Windows setup error I mentioned at the same point each time.

I did press F6 to install the Intel Matrix Stirage drivers and they installed without a problem.

I am going to try running memtest. My memory is being recognized properly in BIOS, but I'll run memtest to test it. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

jillc70 :)

P.S. My PSU is 600W and all fans are running properly. The temps are staying around 60 for the CPU, and 36 to 41 for the others.

Edited by jillc70

Another question... The error I get states I should disable memory caching or shadowing in BIOS. I notice that memory caching is on according to memtest. I don't know how to disable these. I saw nothing in BIOS. Does anyone know how?

I ran the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and the HD tested fine. I also ran the long version of the NTFS format during setup. I read somewhere that the long version tests the drive as well. Nothing has indicated any problems with the HD.

If you're getting a CRC error, your CD is probably messed.

It could be a CPU/board defect. My old computer's CPU was defective (like physically damaged O_o) and it exhibited similar behaviour; program instructions would occasionally get corrupted, causing them to crash or do things wrong (one program would draw the graphics incorrectly; same output every single time, but it wasn't the right output). I'd test your HD, RAM and CD thouroughly before replacing those though.

I think a weak power supply can cause those problems too, but 600W is hardly weak. Unless it's failing...

I am still running memtest, but will try changing the jumper on the DVD-ROM drive (the only IDE drive). I have it on master right now, but I have tried all sorts of configurations with it because I was having trouble getting it to show up in the BIOS before I updated it. I have it on a CS cable on the master connector, so maybe I'll try putting the jumper back in the CS position.

The more I'm reading, I'm starting to think it's a memory issue - either bad memory or a compatibility issue. I checked the Patriot site and their tech support chat and they claimed the memory I ordered is compatible with my mobo. However, Patriot memory is not listed as one of the tested brands on the Intel site. I was hesitant about nuying it, but the price was really good and I read good things about the brand. They have a memory selector on their site and I was able to find memory for my particular mobo.

I'll keep trying different things. Thanks to all for helping. I really appreciate it and am open to any other advice. :)

Oh yeah, the bsod did not name any files, just the stop error code, etc.

I tested the CD with CheckCD and also successfully copied the entire CD to the hard drive of another PC without any problems. I think it's OK.

According to the BIOS hardware monitor, the PSU is putting out steady voltages so I think the PSU is OK.

Is there any real way to test the CPU? I hope it's not that, but how can I tell for sure? What's most frustrating about this is that there are so many things that could be wrong. It's next to impossible to pinpoint it. :(

I let memtest run for 6 or 7 passes with no errors found. I'm running the Windows memory diagnostic tool now and it has gone through 4 passes so far with no errors found. I assume this does not rule out a compatibility issue, though.

I had also read about disabling the BIOS antivirus in order to install Windows. The only thing I saw in the BIOS related to antivirus was the ability to disable XD technology. I did this and it didn't help. Is there any other BIOS antivirus utility I missed?

Anyway, I have to get some sleep now so I'll have to continue this tomorrow. I'll be checking back regularly, though.

Thanks again for all the help. :hello:

While system is idle the power supply will put out steady voltage , but when you stress it during installation is when you need to check ie. Also no word on cooling. Too small of a heatsink or improperly applied thermal compound will also cause random problems during installation. The only time that I've ran into a memmory compatability issue was when working in Dell servers and some compaqs. also clear cmos when you start up after a major crash. you will have to reset your settings but you start from ground zero with every change that way. I hope you got some sleep, I have to go to work now. Will check later.

Thanks, Misha.

I did finally get Windows to install last night. I updated the BIOS the day before and it didn't work at first, but I returned everything back to factory settings and it finally worked.

My problem now is the SATA controllers. I kept my Plextor SATA DVD burner out of the works because I thought that what was messing things up. When I tried to hook it up to the Intel SATA connectors (where my SATA hard drive is installed) after Windows installed, it initially did the "Found New Hardware" thing and started installing drivers. Then it suddenly gave me the BSOD again and rebooted. This repeated a couple of times and I had to shut down manually. I disconnected the Plextor and restarted and everything was fine.

So I tried connecting the SATA burner to the Silicon Image SATA connectors. However, during Windows setup, I had tried to install the drivers for those using the F6 driver disk that came with the mobo and it didn't work. Windows said it couldn't find the txtsetup.oem file and there is a file on the SI disk called TxtSetup.oem. I changed the name to txtsetup.oem and then Windows said it didn't recognize the disk format. I downloaded the newest SI drivers from the Intel and SI websites and they all did the same thing. So Windows won't recognize the SI SATA connectors. There are 2 separate BIOS's on the system - the main system one and one for the SI RAID Utility. Hitting F4 during startup allows the user to enter this SI utility. My Plextor burner is listed in there, but nowhere else, so I can't use it.

I'm thinking I may have to reformat and start over (I know, I'm a glutton for punishment). I don't intend to ever use a RAID array with this rig so I may try to set the BIOS to configure SATA as AHCI instead of RAID, and then install the Intel SATA AHCI controller instead of the RAID controller. I don't know what to do about the SI connectors. I emailed SI and asked how I can make their disks work, but I have little confidence that they'll get back to me. Even if they do, I figure they'll tell me it must be me or my components or something.

Thanks again for the help. If you're familiar with AHCI vs. RAID and have any ideas, feel free to share.

Jill :)