Windows XP backup utility

jakedsnake

I have installed Windows XP SP2 and just added the backup utility (as instructed on an MX site). When I tried to do a total backup it failed because it was unable to create the files neccessary for the restore 'diskette'. OK .. number 1 - I do not have a diskette drive but I assumed it might allow me burn a CD or some such.

Is it possible to create a total backup using this utility ? I want something I can restore my Laptop from should I have a total disaster with the HD.

I do not want to pay for the likes of Ghost. I am too cheap for this ;)

any help greatly appreciated.

The built-in backup tool is horrible for anything other than a few specific tasks. To do what you want, to make a total backup straight to a CD...you best bet is Ghost.

That said, there are a few free ways to go at it. However, I haven't seen a complete package yet.

You would probably have to go through multiple steps...clone the drive/partition to another drive/partition, then reboot into Windows and burn that image to a CD...maybe spend some time and make it auto boot the drive software.

You most likely won't get live backup, or backup to CD with anything free/opensource. You could look into a Linux LiveCD, there is bound to be some Ghost-like program for linux. Only problem there is the NTFS compatibility...you might run into an issue there since last I heard it's still Read-Only for the most part. Also, since it's running from a CD, you'll have to worry about how to get the image to a CD...

BartPE, WinPE, and UBCD are other options, but they still require a commercial application to do the dirty work.