Outlook 2003 Cached Exchange Mode

SwimmerB

I'm just trying to find out some information about using the Cached exchange mode setting when using outlook 2003. I have heard that it is not a good idea to have this setting checked while creating a users email account. I can't really remeber the reasons why, but if anyone knows why it would not be advantageous to set up accounts this way that would be a great help to me in the future

Thanks

Cached Exchange mode simply means that Outlook will download a complete copy of your mailbox to an offline storage file (.ost I believe). This enables you to access the most recent copy of your mailbox if you logon to your account off-line. If you don't use Cached mode, then messages are downloaded from the exchange server individually as needed, and does not provide access to an off-line copy of your messages.

Each has advantages/disadvantages. If you have to access your exchange server over a dial-up connection for example, it may take very long periods of time to download the contents of your mailbox, so cached mode would not be advantagous here.

What TheFlash428 said is completely right. Cached is a full copy of your mailbox stored locally. This makes outlook run faster because it doesnt have to request across the network and can drastically reduce your network traffic.

Cached mode also lets you do client side junk email filtering which is a huge advantage. if you dont use cached mode.. then junk mail will only be filtered on the server side. Outlook will still filter the messages if it is not in cached mode but it will wait until you open the email before it moves it.. In cached mode.. it will run the junk mail rules against the local store and move without you having to open the junk email

thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind when I am setting up my clients machines for outlook. I had just heard that if the email server went down for any reason there would be no notice to the user though and the messages they try to send will be lost. Is this true also. I have users that float from one computer to another and wouldn't want them wondering why they are getting a response to an email they had sent. Even though if the email server was down there wouldn't be anything getting through anyway! Maybe I just talked myself in circles but just had to put that thought out there.

we are running Cached mode here at our work, we have about 20 exchange servers in our global address book. and at one of the other companys, we had to change someone's smtp email address. running in cached mode we could not see the changes.

if we do not do the cached mode we see the changes. so...i put this line of code in our logon script to clear out the cached settings.

del "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\*.*" /q