opening Word doc from Word or Explorer

hamid

Hi All,

Here is my problem:

I have a network drive with a bunch of word template files. If i do 'File - Open' and open the file this way, the word template is open as READ ONLY... This is fine. However, if i were to try and save the file to a different location, it does not allow me to choose a different file type to save as. ie: .doc.

On the other hand, if the same file is open fron windows explorer, i am able to choose a location where the file can be saved, as well as, choosing to save the file as a .DOC file type.

The network drive has READ access to it, no one is allowed to save on this drive.

Has anyone of you come across this situation? It probably have something to do with ACL, but i am probably overlooking something here.

What i do not understand is the fact that i can open the template file through explorer and have the ability to save as a different file type.

Any tips is greatly appreciated,

Hamid

If I understand correctly, you have a shared folder (with templates) on the network that all users can access with read only permission. I don't quite understand why you would be opening them by

>File>Open>filename.doc

or

simply opening the file in windows explorer

Why don't you just set the Workgroup Templates (Tools>Options>File Locations >> select workgroup templates>modify > browse to shared location) to point to that shared folder on the network and open the template as you would any other template

>File>New>use the New Document Task Pane