ERR | "Files that are required ..."

Graveyard

I have created an unattended Windows XP CD. The SP2 was slipstreamed by my friend using nlite and I recently added the hotfixes and drivers for my Sony Vaio laptop PCG GRT-915M using the same nlite program. The installation goes smooth and everything works fine. The only problem arises when I check for windows update online.

I receive the following message: -

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised version. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original version of these files. Insert SP2 CDROM now."

I am aware that this message appears due to Windows File Protection (WFP). Is there any way to remove this annoying message. The drivers I integrated have been downloaded from the sony support website and are the latest version. Is there a way to ensure that these drivers are accepted by the WFP while the Windows XP OS is being installed as this would truely make my installation unattended. Although I have come across way(s) to shut down WFP, however i just intend to remove the annoying message for the drivers that have been integrated in the Windows XP CD I have created and for other programs I would not mind if the above mentioned message is displayed.

Regards,

Graveyard.

Edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat I need some information, please help me with the same.

I have a Windows XP Pro CD which already has SP2 slipstreamed into it. I just need to integrate the drivers for my Sony VAIO laptop (Model No: - PCG GRT 915M). As in your reply, you have asked me to use the latest version of nLite, I would like to know if there is any special setting to be done while integrating the drivers so that the WFP does not generate the following error after installation: - "Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised version. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original version of these files. Insert SP2 CDROM now."

I usually select the inf files and integrate them with nLite. Although the drivers are properly installed, WFP generates the above mentioned error. Would the new version suppress this error after installation or are there any additional changes required to be made in nLite for creating unattended install.

Regards,

Graveyard

Hm.... After reading your quite complete overview of what's wrong and the process you've gone through, I think the only conclusion can be (especially considering the error "...have been replaced by unrecognised version...") that nLite slipstreams the newer drivers, replacing the original, older ones. The easiest way to prevent that, is using the OemPnPDriversPath method for your drivers. That way Windows won't complain - 100% sure.

Check the sticky, section #2.

• 4 weeks later...

Bâshrat as per your feedback, I followed the link (Check the sticky, section #2.) and tried to make the unattended cd. I used the drivers via cd method (Pyron's method) for installing my Sony VAIO Laptop drivers. I followed the process for adding drivers to the CD and replaced the setup.ex_ file and added the others as per the guide. However, while running the setup, I get an error saying:

Cannot copy setupORG.exe. I am given the option to either retry or skip the file. Even after retrying, the file does not get copied and if I skip the file and let the installation continue, after reboot I get another error saying "cannot find setup.exe" and the computer reboots. I have tried this method twice for creating the cd from scratch, however I get the same error.

Although as told by you, I have made the unattened cd to install drivers via the Winnt.Sif file (OemPnPDriversPath method), I would be more interested to install the drivers via the cd. Also I would try to install windows xp and drivers through Winnt.Sif. I hope it works and the the following error would be removed:

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised version. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original version of these files. Insert SP2 CDROM now."

Could you possibly shed some light why the setupORG.exe is not being copied to the HDD with other files.

Regards,

Graveyard.