Windows 98 PowerPack v3.0 released [details itt]

I'm working on it, slowly but surely. It currently weighs in at 172MB uncompressed, which is a great deal smaller than v3.0. I do need to get it out the door asap, as I actually use this with many old systems @ work, and using the USP v2.0 probably isn't a good idea... I think older machines benefit from the latest updates.

So, I figure, I'll try and push for a release Next Week.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not done with the latest release. The current thing that I'm trying to go after is managing different languages - right now, the powerpack is ONLY english. I'm hoping to get as many other languages in the pack, so ANYONE can download it and be satisfied.

Download links will be set back up later today/tommorow, for v3.0. v3.5 is not done yet.

• 1 month later...

Download links will be set back up later today/tommorow, for v3.0. v3.5 is not done yet.

Dude, a whole month has almost passed us by, where can I get a download link?

If a download link is not possible can someone who has it already at least seed a tracker and post the torrent in this forum?

Link put back up. I'm working on v3.5... it's a side-project for me, as I maintain something called BHT, a utility compilation, which is available here: http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4855

I've begun work on v3.5 again today... i'm working towards a April 1st release (not a joke). :D

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the UI that I currently have, or dump it for a new ui. .... This brings up a good question - should I dump the current autorun in favor of a smaller, less-bloated approach, or should I stick with the current autorun?

Development has begun again.

Now, I need the following:

Every single variant of the unofficial servicepack. (Languages).

I have almost all of theme, except for French. I can only read so much (I know very little french).

I need every variation of all available patches.

I want to create a CD with ALL languages supported, which has been a big request from some people. :D

I want to slim down the size of the CD. I don't want another 350-ish ISO. Something along the lines of 250-300mb is where I want it to be. I may be creating a simple selector interface that allows for language selection -> language-specific packages. Either that, or I'll be compiling different Language-oriented versions of the Win98 PowerPack.

Any questions/comments, please post in this thread!

• 2 months later...

Dead Light Eye

I advice downloading the german version of the unofficial service pack for w98se (sorry I don't know the link, do a search). Or wait for the mulitlingual release of the power pack.

nowshining

AFAIk, ISO file are only for buring on CD, then you install from the CD. So in fact you need a CD-w drive...

lol the main question tho is do I need 98SE CD or ME CD...CDRW burning is no problem for me..I will just format a drive and save all my one CD backups on it and burn the .iso.. or I might just partition my hd, my seagate disk has a partition free space option.... :)

Hi, jimmsta.

This all-in-one idea of yours is good, it saves a lot of headaches. I'm not sure though about adding all language versions to the same compilation. I mean, why would a german - for example - need the English, French, Polish and whatever other versions of the packages?

Personally, I think language-oriented compilations would be preferrable, both in terms of bandwidth used on your host's side, and the downloaders' bandwidth, DL time and storage space. Just my personal opinion...

Another thing is, which would the contents be, exactly - language diversity apart? Could you post a list of all (or at least major) applications/packages that would be included in the compilation? This way there may come suggestions for improvements, additions or replacements.

For example, I've been using for quite a long time Spyware Blaster from Javacoolsoftware.com, instead of Spybot S&D, which I found to be blocking a wanted site some time ago and also had some other issues with it. Could there be an alternative here?

I have to mention that I just got to know about your package so I didn't get a chance to download and try it. I'll wait until the next release, which would hopefully include the upcoming RPLite 5, Kernel Update and Unofficial SP, as well as the ME Service Pack, while 98SE2ME is already included.

Keep up the good work and stay out of floods. B)

Edited by Drugwash

Hi, jimmsta.

This all-in-one idea of yours is good, it saves a lot of headaches. I'm not sure though about adding all language versions to the same compilation. I mean, why would a german - for example - need the English, French, Polish and whatever other versions of the packages?

This is a concern of mine at the moment, as I have no way of knowing exactly what patches are available for each language. Someone needs to compile a list (probably will be me), to make creation of the next PowerPack easier.

Personally, I think language-oriented compilations would be preferrable, both in terms of bandwidth used on your host's side, and the downloaders' bandwidth, DL time and storage space. Just my personal opinion...
This is also a concern. I've already gotten the English version down to about 175mb, from something like 350mb. I'm working on slimming it down even more, and getting it all working. Other language versions will have to take a backseat while I finish up on the English version.
Another thing is, which would the contents be, exactly - language diversity apart? Could you post a list of all (or at least major) applications/packages that would be included in the compilation? This way there may come suggestions for improvements, additions or replacements.

I'll be posting a list as soon as the contents are finalized. At the moment, the download contains slightly old versions of the Win98SE Service Pack, 98SE2Me, and various other applications. I'm really waiting on Gape now for the latest version of the SP.

For example, I've been using for quite a long time Spyware Blaster from Javacoolsoftware.com, instead of Spybot S&D, which I found to be blocking a wanted site some time ago and also had some other issues with it. Could there be an alternative here?
I may include my other compilation - BHT - into the PowerPack, as it definitley helps to have a toolkit available to all users when installing various applications off the PP cd.
I have to mention that I just got to know about your package so I didn't get a chance to download and try it. I'll wait until the next release, which would hopefully include the upcoming RPLite 5, Kernel Update and Unofficial SP, as well as the ME Service Pack, while 98SE2ME is already included.

Make sure to grab the latest version of 98SE2Me, as the version included on the CD (current edition) is very out of date. I'll be creating some sort of auto-updater for the final cd.

Keep up the good work and stay out of floods. B)

Thanks, I will!

This project is not dead, but in active development. More details will follow.

thank you so much for this pack, perfect! :thumbup

however, there is one thing that i might be able to help out with (ok, it doesn't need to be changed, i just wanna help out :lol: ) i was wondering if maybe you wanted to update the autorun file. perhaps i could help in this, maybe make one that will work with multiple languages and stuff. then the autorun will have a guided installer. to help the less computer oriented people out. let me know what ya think, and if your interested, i really want to help! :D

-brian

edit : wait, nevermind, sorry. i didnt pay enough attention to the auto run you already had in there, i didnt realize that when you click on the names of the programs it runs them or takes you to the folder. so nevermind what i said there. man im dumb :blushing:

i hope you know i dont mean any disrespect to your autorun :no:

if you would like to see the new auto-run however, here it is.

Edited by brian10161

[constructive criticism]

The L in "Revolutions" is missing from the RP logo. A few other typos/spelling errors as well.

I wonder why Killer Replacements section comes after Revolutions Pack... I've always installed it before that.

Also, the size of the splash window might be too big, considering OS might be freshly installed and untweaked, which means desktop size would be 640x480, usually.

It also has a lot of dependencies; did you try it on a fresh 98? I hope you don't mind me asking...

kernel32.dll
user32.dll
advapi32.dll
oleaut32.dll
version.dll
gdi32.dll
ole32.dll
comctl32.dll
winspool.drv
shell32.dll
comdlg32.dll
winmm.dll
oledlg.dll

[EDIT] I used the FileInfo plug-in in Total Commander to check for dependencies, as I find it much more handy, although not as thorough as Dependency Walker.

Edited by Drugwash

wow really? that many dependencies? dang i gotta check that out. ill try it in a virtual pc later on tonight. im so tired right now :blink:

thanks for letting me know all that. :)

-------------------------------------------------

edit: im gonna test it now, with both 98 and 98 se. ill include the various DLL's itll need in the zip folder. then hopefully itll work. but i have a feeling its gonna put a ton of files on the root of the cd, and if thats the case. ill just delete it. i only tested it on my 98 machine After installing all the updates and such :blushing:

the window is 512 x 360, i dont think it will cause a problem, the person can minimize it if they want/need to.

98pp1rv.th.jpg

----------

edit # 2

updated the file, changed a few things (including order of installation) and changed the spelling errors. i havent loaded the copy of 98 into a virtual pc yet, my 98 se cd seems to be screwed up for some reason. ill get back on that as soon as i can.

-brian

Edited by brian10161