Windows 98 PowerPack v3.0 released [details itt]

What is WinGUI?

Also, The reason why my package is bigger than yours... erm. Bigger than it should be - I included both the Options pack AND IE 6.0 SP1, as a separate install, not knowing that teh options pack will work on 98-Me. Hence, there's a 113MB folder that doesn't really need to be there.

v3.1 will be out soon... I will not, however, be able to use my own bandwidth, as the original v3.0 seems to have used over 80GB of bandwidth this month (which is just over 200 or so, downloads).

3.1 will be a bit slimmer, but also add a few new items, and notices, such as the fact that the 98SE revolutions pack is no longer developed, and a few other things.

3.1 will be based on 3.0, but due to the way that I released the original file, no patch will be available.

I just did a bit of work on v3.1, and I have to report the following: I've gotten the ISO down to ~250MB. This is almost 100MB smaller, and it includes some new things, such as the current alpha release of the SP2 for First Editon, and the latest 10/13 release of 98SE2Me.

I just did a bit of work on v3.1, and I have to report the following: I've gotten the ISO down to ~250MB. This is almost 100MB smaller, and it includes some new things, such as the current alpha release of the SP2 for First Editon, and the latest 10/13 release of 98SE2Me.

That's great to hear! I hope you could get it even smaller!

BTW, in case you're out of bandwidth for it, I suggest you use bittorrent and a tracker instead. That way, people downloading it share the burden of the bandwidth.

I had to pull the plug on the download, as I'm almost out of bandwidth... my limit is 100GB on that specific site, and it's up to 98GB.

v3.1 will probably be released onto Majorgeeks, so I can compensate for v3.5 or something next month.

• 4 weeks later...

this has probably been thought of before, but can't hurt to jump in

to reduce the hit on your bandwidth allowance, why not submit a download list of files which can be downloaded from their origination points (MS, and etc.), prior to install. This places bandwidth demand for "outside files" on their source originator (no reason for you to take a bandwidth hit for retransfers of MS's files) ... give instructions for setting up the local directory for the install program. Prior to running, your install would do run through the "if exists" or whatever, and let her rip ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

v3.5 is in the works.

I've just aquired a 2GHz celeron machine, of which I put ~$80 into to make into a decent testbed machine.

Here's my current list of ideas for v3.5:

*Will include a batch script to silently install Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, as well as several updates.

*Will use my 'BHT' launcher application, instead of the graphics-intensive launcher from the last version.

*Will NOT use the Options Pack, as I've only observed problems with it more times than not. (IE: directX installation fails, IE installation fails, random errors on bootup after installation of the pack)

*Will include individual packages, such as IE6SP1, DirectX, and various other packages.

*Will be smaller than the last version, and compressed using RAR, set to BEST+SOLID+Recovery Record.

*The ISO should NOT be as large as the previous release.

My website has gone from 100GB/month transfer, up to 1TB/month transfer... gotta love Dreamhost.com.

I'll be distributing from my site, rapidshare, and possibly bittorrent.

I do not have a release date as of yet, as I'm creating the pack from scratch, so as to remove all the bloat that cropped up in the last release (344MB ISO...)

hello....

i will update my windows 98se. I come from Germany and I have a german win98 version. I want conserve the German language. Is that a language problem when I install that PowerPack ???

i can´t find a download link...

thx

salute

Edited by Dead Eye Flint

• 2 weeks later...