Windows 98 PowerPack v3.0 released [details itt]

I've released my Third Public Release of my compilation called Windows 98 PowerPack.

For help and bug reports, please point yourself in this direction:

http://www.msfn.org/

http://www.osbetaarchive.org/

http://www.mdgx.com/

What is it?

It's a package filled with various windows 98 First and Second Edition Patches, modifications, and enhancements, to help the stability of a Windows 98-based system.

What new features are in this release?

* Autoplay menu that has a link to EVERYTHING, in CONCISE organized CATAGORIES!

* More stuff. Lots of new patches for both Windows 98 Gold, Windows 98SE, and Windows Me.

* Descriptions for EVERYTHING

* Screenshots for Revolutions.

**** This has been tested on my own system, as well as a P3-500 w/64MB RAM. The autoplay menu works fine, as well as the patches. ****

What sort of Patches?

Namely, the Unofficial Win98SE Service Pack v2.0.2, which installs most of the publicly-released hotfixes that microsoft has released since 98SE's release, as well as a bunch of patches that MS is reluctant to release. Only fully tested patches are included, so no worries for people who only want STABLE operation of Windows.

Another patch allows for full support of USB Mass-Storage devices, by implanting the usb sub-system from Windows Me into Windows 98.

A few other patches were designed with the programmer and database users in mind, which update certain components that Microsoft has not officially created updates for, including the MDAC components, and all XML libraries.

What sort of modifications?

If you're still using Windows 98SE, but running it on a semi-decent system, and you've grown tired of the 9x UI, there's a modification out there for you. It's called Tihy's 98SE Revolutions Pack.

What does it do?

It modifies Explorer, as well as almost all the icons on the system, to look and feel like Windows XP with no skins. (Actually, v3.6 has skinning support, but is considered beta-quality).

Version 3.0, 3.6, & 4.0 rc2 are provided. v3.0 is more stable than 3.6, but doesn't have as many features. v4.0 rc2 is provided for people willing to risk it all, as it has a lot of bugs and stability issues.

Screenshots of 98SE Revolutions:

clipboard01.jpg

clipboard05.jpg

clipboard03.jpg

What sort of enhancements are included?

WARNING: This patch is EXTREMELY EXPERIMENTAL. PLEASE BACKUP ALL DATA BEFORE ATTEMPTING!

If you have a valid copy and license of Windows Me laying around, but are using Windows 98SE, you can now implant some features of Windows Me into Windows 98SE.

How, you say? Why, 98SE2ME, of course!

98SE2ME was written and researched by MDGX(http://www.mdgx.com, also previously known as AXCEL216), who has maintained windows tweaks and modifications on the web for the past 9 years. Instructions are included.

All these patches are HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL!!!

Why did I make this?

Mostly to fill in the public on how you can make Windows98SE a viable alternative to NT-based operating systems, while still maintaining the same stability and application-compatibility.

The future of modding Windows 98SE looks rather good, with people currently attempting to create Unicode Libraries for XP-compatibility in programs.

The Readme file included has links to all forums and threads that made this pack possible.

Download Link:

Link put back up:http://www.jimmsta.com/downloads/98PP/98PPv3.iso

Enjoy!

When will v3.1/3.5 be released????!??!?

I'm working on it, slowly but surely. I'm maintaining a larger project called BHT, which is what has taken all my time away from this side project.

BHT? What's that??

Check out the entry on majorgeeks.com: http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4855

P.S: Just remember: Backup your system before you install any of these pathces. They're not entirely designed by Microsoft, so they're not certified in any way. (Aside from the majority of the patches included in the Unofficial Service Pack).

I've made this for the users of this forum, and OSBetaArchives. I REALIZE that there is some tension with me releasing this elsewhere, and these patches in the wrong hands can have adverse effects (hence all the warnings). I'm just compiling all the most-used, if not all the patches on this forum, into one convienient package.

Next version info:

Windows 9x Power Pack v4.0 will include the following features:

Full compatibility with Win98 FE/SE/Me, with various patches, programs, and other unique tools (all found in this forum).

New AutoPlay program (smaller size window, more intuitive navigation)

Smaller download.

Separate Language releases.

Edited by jimmsta

It's a package filled with various windows 98 First and Second Edition Patches, modifications, and enhancements, to help the stability of a Windows 98-based system.

This is great! But when you say that your PowerPack contains various patches, etc., can you say what it doesn't include? For example, if someone wanted all official and unofficial Win98SE patches and updates, what would they be missing, what would they have to get in addition to your pack?

It basically includes all the patches found on this forum, so I really should say that the patches included are only unofficial patches, created by members of a forum, not microsoft.

Also, thank you MDGX!

And the reason why I didn't 7zip the ISO, is because many people in the past have commented that using non-zip files isn't the best way for mass distribution of files... but, if I do end up having a bandwidth situation, I will probably compress the file using 7zip.

First of all thank you so much! for sharing your hard work with us...

:thumbup

I wanted to ask if you were missing any of the pre-beta RP4 patches

for RP3.xx? If so I have some extra files for you to add if you'd like.

Second I'd like to suggest that you use a more customized setup for

IE6SP1...instructions on how to do so are here:

[ http://www.petri.co.il/download_the_full_ie_package.htm ]

If you do it this way you can choose to select on the IE6SP1 files needed

for Windows 9x...which would save you some space on your ISO and

allow you to either streamline your download or add more files to your

iso...

PS: Read your reply already..glad you've heard of it already...what do

you think of trying to rip out the XP login from Calmira XP and make it work

in your 98 Power Pack?

-iWindoze

EDIT- changed the PS...

Edited by iWindoze

And the reason why I didn't 7zip the ISO, is because many people in the past have commented that using non-zip files isn't the best way for mass distribution of files... but, if I do end up having a bandwidth situation, I will probably compress the file using 7zip.

Or you could create a self-extracting 7zip-compressed file.

I've had complaints with using SFX archives in the past... but, I usually use them anyway.

Looks like I'll be re-releasing it as soon as 2-3 days from now, as a 7zip compressed SFX archive.

This sounds really nice jimmsta, I am glad you are using USP2.02 instead of reinventing the wheel!

> The download is too huge!

Nonsense, please make it multi-gigabytes if possible.

Please include other patches that Alper thought USP2.02 shouldn't have because they are too big + old. MS JavaVM update might be one of these. Also other MS downloads like MS Agent?

Will you please include IE6 SP 1 with full patches? Also BROWSEUI.DLL and BROWSELC.DLL fixes to prevent known IE 6 SP1 bug of hanging + resource leaks while deleting files in Explorer? (I can explain more info if you need it).

What about all of the MSXML / MDAC / Jet stuff? Maximus Decimus has a nice patch for this. Maybe it would be a good starting point?

What about DirectX 9.0c Oct 2005?

Please include MDGx's 98SE2ME if possible. It's super stable and a must-have IMHO.

Please make the Revolutions Pack optional. I haven't used it since about 3.5, but I gave up on it a while ago due to major stability problems (resource leaks? or just too much resource usage?). Also, please make USB stuff optional since I think it conflicts with my digital camera's TWAIN drivers. I just install device drivers manually for USB devices now.

Edited by azagahl

The 9/30 version of 98SE2Me is included. Looks like between the fact that Maximus Decim released a patch, and this project has gone up a version, I'll have to update it to v3.01. Expect to see a new download within the week.

Edited by jimmsta

The download is too huge! Maybe you could compress it using 7zip. As far as I know, 7zip offers the best compression ratio. That way, you can reduce bandwidth usage and download time for the leechers.

that wont be a huge problem for users who have broadband internet connections using cable modems or DSL modems AND have installed any download manager/accelerator like FlashGet, Download Accelerator Plus, Lightning Download [derivative of Getright], or Mass Downloader (shareware) or even Download Express (freeware). sometimes I wish I were using my friend's PC who has SBC Yahoo DSL, where I can download very large files at 10 Mb per second. someday I should get DSL and kiss dialup goodbye.

if any of you people are downloading this 300-Meg something package, use any of the download managers/accelerators that I've mentioned so you can start downloading part of it a day, then pause it and resume it the next day and so on until the whole download has been completed. I'll assume jimmsta's server does support resuming interrupted downloads and it is wise to use download managers & accelerators. It wont matter much if you have a slow connection or a fast connection just as long as you have a download manager/accelerator tool installed on your computer and you are comfortable using that download utility to download and resume your downloads.

Edited by erpdude8

This looks promising. When the latest 98SE2ME and usb drivers get added in along with making some installs optional it could become an all in one. Whats the install order of the stuff? Bearing in mind the SP2 install guide thread.

Right now, the CD is just a compilation - you choose from text labels what you want to install. I haven't provided any more information that that. The CD is directed towards members of this subforum, mostly. I'll probably try and have v3.01/3.1 out by next week. A flood in my basement has forced me out of my normal 'headquarters', and I'm now timesharing with two systems with family members... it's not fun in the least.