M-board replacement, no OS install

ratba_tardly

I had a MB crash out on one of the kid's computers, an old Athlon. Replaced it with a board scavenged out of a Compaq EN 667, without reinstalling the OS (ME). Following a couple of guides, everything has gone pretty well so far. But I can not get ME to let me install the drivers for the onboard NIC. No matter what I do, I either get the message that the best drivers are already installed, (and the NIC doesn't work) or that no drivers were found (on the floppy, CD, etc.,) (and the NIC doesn't work). Any suggestions as to how to get rid of whatever is blocking the drivers from installing? There was no NIC in the old setup, either.

Thanks, rb

Thanks KAndle, but this even novices know. I am talking a serious, "I have deleted regkeys, logfiles, in safe mode, etc." kind of problem here. Somewhere, there is an entry I can't get to or find with deep searching. The old board never had a NIC, so... why this problem? I have used Compaq's drivers, Intel's drivers, and nothing.

How do you mean the drivers arn't installing, how do they come?

All you should have to do is open device manager, 'remove' whatever windows has put there and install your new drivers.

Do you mean you do this, but then windows installs its own drivers again? You can specify location in driver search to say where the drivers are or ask it to display a list, so you choose the driver.

Have you installed mobo drivers? Windows will need these to power onboard hardware drivers, otherwise it use generic.

Mitsu,

All the usual methods are not working. The entire mb driver set (Intel 815) was picked up with no problems. And the original OS install was for a different brand of mb.

I have deleted the NIC entries in Safe Mode, I have used various install entryways, I have tried various drivers. Nothing seems to work. Windows either tells me, even after I delete in Safe Mode, or thru regedit, that the correct drivers are installed, or they are not the drivers for the hardware.

Which is really weird, because even the Compaq install routine for exactly this board/chipset/nic combo, results in nothing useful. There has to be some key somewhere...

What id your frce to drivers upgarde to look on removable media and select have disk and search for the files. You might have t uncheck the support devices. Then select yours.

riz,

what did you say?

I have been around windoze long enough to know how to install and uninstall drivers, whether from diskettes, CDs, downloaded files. No matter where I have the files, or which ones I use, the NIC is not working .Windows either tells me that ...oh, nevermind.

You'll have to figure out which .inf file Windows is using to choose the "best" driver, then either remark out or delete the line(s) for that driver or just delete the whole file.

Then Windows will have to accept the correct driver you supply.

Just another one of the "Windows knows best." things the 9x/Me series is infamous for.