British Soldier Deaths

FthrJACK

i said this before the war started.. before it was definatly going to happen... and i was proved right.

why is it that American forces always bomb the wrong people? this isnt a rant.. dont take it as that, no need to flame.

But you have to admit it happens a LOT, usually its such stupid things. Eg: RAf Tornado being shot down by US soldiers operating a Patriot missile launcher... the Iraqis have no planes left for a start. Then theres the electronic identification, which i believe needs overriding to enable you to fire on a vehicle/plane carrying the technology.

so far there are 20 British soldiers KIA.

18 by american fire.

just TWO killed by Iraqi fire.

then theres three ITN news reporters also killed by US fire (though i can understand why that incident happened)

dont they have a hard enough job already out there?

whats annoying is so far ive not even heard a peep out of bush about it.

I did notice that after you brought it up the last time, and it is very curious and concerning. Everytime i hear that something got shot at/down I always say "I hope the americans didn't do it".

In this case though, one incident was where the jet actually targeted and fired on one of the patriot batteries and then was fired on, (i think the latest one), which you don't really have time to react if someomes targeting you when it's not expected. The others all seem to be just lapses in judgement and patience.

On top of that the US guys that got caught "made a wrong turn"....wtf happened to radio contact when you realize you can't see anymore of your battalion? "Hey we are lost!, our gps position is at bla bla...we will w8 for you to find us, or something similar" I mean my mom doesn't even get lost anymore with her GPS nav system in her jeep, so come on!

Anyway, I really hope this thing is over soon! I grow tired of hearing about war and death, it's very sad to have to fight all the time, and although im not fighting personally, It's still my fellow country men and women over there and in one case family.

/me is fed up with the world!

SupaFly

Very stupid, today I heard it again, more then half of the british/american deaths were done by team fire.

And the shot down plane was the most stupid thing, I also tought of that Iraq didn't have any airplanes, and I tought the radar GPS crap should've told em enough that it wasn't an Iraq..

Well accidents happen in war but the United States needs to seriously work on training their grunts better. This is just crazy to have so many deaths from the same side. Although the United States has triple the troops that the britsh do so with 250,000+ troops it does raise the bar for mistakes as compared to the 45,000 british guys. Basic statistics say there will be at least a few stupid people outta every so many. In the United States case, looks like we trump all :)

SupaFly

This happens in every war and to every military.These are modern wars and sofisticated and dangerous air and ground fighting vehicles are being used.Two British helicopters crashed into each other also.With 300k US ground troups and 45k British ground troups with propotionate amounts of land,sea and ground hardware the US will have the most of these unfortunate accidents just because of the volume. :)

250 K Americans and 64 K British. I would think the highest number of deaths per nationality would be American. But this is not about numbers my friends.

This is about technical and tactial warfare fought on a tactical battleground. This is a real battlefield - not a virtual battlefield. There are no settings or patches to be applied at the convenance of our desks. We can not save it and replay it to our advantage.

- Technical: Split second actions by electronic devices decide life or death.

- Tactical: People decide to turn left when they should have turned right GPS or not.

p***es me off to that Bush does not say something about it other than in general terms. He does not show remorse at this time - he will later. For now he must lead and be held responsible come good or bad. The soldiers in Iraq look to their respective leaders for leadership when the time is allowed. For now they must look ahead and keep their heads low. When the dust settles we can look back.

Just be happy that we live in countries where we can make demands on our leaders. Try to make a demand on SH in Iraq or a similar country ruled by dictators.

Today we look forward.

so far there are 20 British soldiers KIA.

18 by american fire.

just TWO killed by Iraqi fire.

then theres three ITN news reporters also killed by US fire (though i can understand why that incident happened)

wasnt there 2 brit choppers taking off a aircraft lander and crashed into one another, I beleive there was 6 brits and 1 amer.....So your statics are a little off.

'UK PRISONERS PARADED'

What are claimed to be two UK prisoners of war and two dead British soldiers are reported to have been shown on an Arab TV network.

The PoWs are reported to have been shown on Al Jazeera television following a battle at al Zubayr, near Basra.

The video obtained by the station showed two bodies in uniform lying on their backs on a road and two PoWs looking sombre.

One of the soldiers was reported to have been shot in the stomach.

The station did not say where the video came from.

The Ministry of Defence would not immediately comment on the footage.

:)

wasnt there 2 brit choppers taking off a aircraft lander and crashed into one another, I beleive there was 6 brits and 1 amer.....So your statics are a little off.

No. Because i wasnt including accidents or people MIA.

only the (public) figures that where on the news, BBC website, and CNN that correlated. (at the time of posting first message)

No. Because i wasnt including accidents or people MIA.

only the (public) figures that where on the news, BBC website, and CNN that correlated. (at the time of posting first message)

So the American friendly fire wasn't an accident?

I know the answer to that question, just breaking some balls.

Hey all !

I know, that you might not want to hear a "sauerkraut voice" but I think I should tell you another opinion.

To work with modern technic wihtin a very modern warfare and the human stress inside each soldier (made by war), is very hard to manage. This is not a way to excuse the mistakes made in the last days, but a thing we all have to keep in mind ! To make mistakes is human and it's happening between our ears. I think that all involved military troops do their very best and they give all that they have inside to be victorious within a very shot time. So... please don't accuse the guys doing their job for you.

With the best soldierluck to the troops in iraq

Koala6

First off i agree with you, but i need to correct/challenge something you said. They are not "Doing the job for us" That is the job they chose to do and i do sincerely appreciate their job. But they *chose to go to the service, I chose to go to school, and the Air Force was a very close second place before i went to college. And on top of that i have family members in this war and that is the life they chose to take up, and I expect them to perform their JOB'S.

I don't want anyone to die over there, but I don't think people understand that these people are working at their jobs and that happens to be protecting their country and very dangerous. Again, mistakes do happen, but it obviously needs to be worked on and tweaked, nothing is perfect in human nature, but so many accidents can be avoided with training and cautiousness. From what ive heard from the people over there that I have known is that training is not the greatest and defintely could be worked on, which is all im suggesting.

SupaFly

With regards to the British aircraft being shot down by a patriot there had to have been a problem with the aircrafts IFF (Indentification friend or Foe) system. If it had been working properly this shouldn't have happened. I worked on these and other aircraft electronics while in the Navy. I would think the Americans would have tried to contact the aircraft using radio before firing on them though. It definitely sucks that this stuff happens, too often in my opinion.

The real battles haven't even started yet. Wait till the push into Bagdad starts. I just hope the coalition forces aren't shooting each other on accident.

GOD BLESS THE U.S & U.K !!!!!! Bring em home safe....... :flowers: