Lost Files On Hdd

Rick

I have had major probs with my laptop (complete OS crash) which I'm pretty sure is hardware related so I'll be sending it off for warranty repair soon. I installed a new WinXP over the old and now I can't get to any of the old files. They are there because the HD space shows for it and when I do a virus scan, I see a c:\found.002\0000.chk and so on and there are all the old files. Can anyone tell me how to access these files and what this all means...why is it in there and how do I get in there? I've done it through DOS and I can see the files...but not on the desktop.

Rick

Try using WinRAR to access the files...Might sound strange, but when I use WinRAR, I can access my system restore files which are located in C:\System Volume Information and you can't access any of them through My Computer or unhiding them...

Since it is an unknow hardware problem you might want to consider the hard drive itself. A bad hard drive may let you access the data now, but later you may not be able to access the data at all.

Quick and dirty method to recover the files before they become inaccessable is to boot with a WinX boot disk (bypass the hard drive's Master Boot Record). Use Dos to copy the files to a Iomega Zip Disk or something similar, a CDR if you are equiped one, and possibly an external hard drive.

In situations like this I avoid installing other software on the PC because it might bring new problems. However, Aloha Bob makes it real easy to do a complete backup from one PC to another. Using a parallel cable from your parallel port to another PC would create a LAN and make it possible transfer the files.

Web Site: http://www.eisenworld.com/

A trial version is free and will get you through this :)

I'll give that a try gamehead and MSNWAR...I believe you are exactly right. Its seems that the Hard drive is dying and what a shame for a 7 month old laptop. Fortunately, I bought a 3 year warranty but unfortunately I will be without my laptop for about 2-3 weeks while they fix it. I just want to get those needed files off my laptop and put them on my desktop computer before I send the laptop off for repair.

Thanks

Rick :)

I was able to copy the file info to my desktop through dos. This is a recovered file fragment file that has my old files. I'm not sure if the files are intact but does anybody know how to restore of view files that have been recovered like this?

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

There is a great program called File Recovery for Windows from a company called LC Technologies. They have a free download that you can try. It will show you what files can be recovered. You might have to buy to get the files back - but you don't have to buy until you know what is there. It is very good - I have used with great success.

The files will stay on the drive until it dies - or you install something over them - so do not install any new software - except the recovery software of course. There is even a way to run it from CD - but I am not sure of the details.

LS_Dragons