[How To] Unattended RIS Installs V2

Indeed, cmdlines.txt should be placed inside of the $OEM$ subdirectory. If you plan on calling any executable files or importing any .reg files, they too should be placed inside of the $OEM$ subdirectory alongside cmdlines.txt. So for instance, if you wanted to import registry entries from a file called registry.reg, you would have both cmdlines.txt and registry.reg inside of $OEM$. You would then need to make sure your cmdlines.txt reads follows:

[Commands]
"regedit /s registry.reg"

Note that the quotations are required for each line under [Commands].

Thanks for the replies guys. I have put cmdlines.txt under the $oem$ folder and it has started working with the registry file in a subfolder like this:

|
|-i386
|
|-$oem$
|
|-cmdlines.txt
|-REGFILES
|
|-registry.reg

My cmdlines.txt looked like this:

[commands]
"regedit REGFILES\registry.reg /s"

but for some reason the "/S" doesn't work. The install pauses and asks me if I'm sure that I want to import the registry file (that should be taken care of by the /s switch). When I click 'yes' it then asks if I want to run the program "/S" - i.e. it's split the regedit and the switch into different commands. It is all in quotes as above.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Cheers again.

Thanks again.

[EDIT] Ooops, I notice that RogueSpear puts the /s before the file to be merged. I'll try that and report back :)

[EDIT2] Yep, that works. Thanks a lot guys.

Edited by Travelcard

• 1 month later...

Real good stuff.

I have a question about step number 7:

It states that I need to 'get' a line of code from the winnt.sif file. What do I do with this line of code.

Also in step 9 where you say to edit the presetup.cmd with some code. Does this bit of code replace the entire contents of the file?

Thanks for the hard work.

Becuase both AutoRis and RISult don't work for me.

AutoRIs craps out and doesn't finish and Risult gets to the BTS part and it gets into a loop and never quits.

I would like to use one of them but I find it harder to troubleshoot the scripts then to do this manually. I do like risult more because I don't do anything else other than BTS and Ryan's update, but I worked on it for about 8 hours and could never get it to stop doing that loop.

If you could help me, i would love to use it.

Hi,

Can I just check that you are using the latest version of RISult with DP Base 6.02.5? Anything else will cause that problem.

If you still have that problem then I know where the issue will lie and will investigate it for you on Monday :)

Cheers,

Andy

Hi,

I've just tested and released RISult 1.1.4 (It need an update to work with the new DP Base 6.03). It definately works fine. It also only works with DP Base 6.03. I suspect that the loop problems you are having are through using the wrong version of DP Base with RISult. So long as you use the latest RISult with DP Base 6.03 everything will be fine.

Cheers,

Andy

• 5 weeks later...

04/12/2006

The scripts have all been removed from this thread as they have turned into a project of their own. They still work with RIS though, so if you like them and use them, they can be found here.

This is likely the last update I will make to the guide. Everything described here can be done automatically, more easily, and with far less chance for error using either my utility AutoRIS or Fencer128's utility RISult. So at this point, the guide is really here for those who like to get into the nuts and bolts of things.