Need some advise in adding a new HDD ?

Hi ... First thing I will mention is my computer specs , I have windows xp pro retail version with sp2 on disk , 2 hard drives , 1gb ram , Intel P4 2.4 , motherboard abit ic7 max 3 ...

I have windows xp pro sp2 install on a 40gb hard drive and I have all my programs and what not on my second 80gb hard drive , Now I am purchasing a maxtor 200gb hard drive , I want to make this new hard drive as my master , I am going to remove the 40gb hdd which has the operating system on it with the newer one , I am going to reinstaill a clean installment of windows xp pro sp2 on my new 200gb hdd , My question is this , I want to be able to still have access to my second 80gb hhd once I install my new hhd with a clean install of windows xp on it , Will I encounter any problems with such ? Thanks in advance ...

be no problems at all...just install xp on new hdd and then you will be able to access your 2nd hdd as normal..... or do you mean you have all the already installed programs set up on 2nd hdd? or you mean the programs and stuff that you install after putting xp on

Hi ... I mean when ever I download a program that I want to keep I always install it on my second hard drive , programs like nero , the firewall , anti-virus , some data files , what ever it might be , None have anything to do with the operating system files , just programs that I will install onto my new drive once I get it hook up and have windows xp on it , So will I encounter any problems getting these programs and data ? Thanks for your response ...

Why not temporaryly remove your 80 gb (I assume its the secondary). install your new HD as a secondary and copy everything to it from your master OP system 40 gb. Remove the 40 gb and replace it with the new one and place back the 80 gb where it was. You should be good to go. Its that simple. :thumbup

Why not temporaryly remove your 80 gb (I assume its the secondary). install your new HD as a secondary and copy everything to it from your master OP system 40 gb.  Remove the 40 gb and replace it with the new one and place back the 80 gb where it was.  You should be good to go.  Its that simple. :thumbup

It's not copying... it's imaging. Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image will do this for you.

Hi ... This is what I have done so far I have burned eveything thats on my secondary drive ( 80gb ) onto dvd disk and afterward if I need to redownload anything again , I can from the dvd disk if need be , What I will try is this , I am going to remove the master drive 40gb drive and install the new 200gb drive as master when it finally arrive , Then I will perform a clean installment of windows xp onto the 200gb drive and if I end up having problems getting any data/programs from my secondary drive , I will just use my dvd disk and reload everything again , afterward I will clean the secondary 80gb , format it and reload everything back , This way I can always use my old 40gb in the future if anything might happen to my new 200gb drive , I will keep my 40gb as a emergency

Thanks though to everyone that assist ... :thumbup

Edited by Gladd8tor

Why not temporaryly remove your 80 gb (I assume its the secondary). install your new HD as a secondary and copy everything to it from your master OP system 40 gb.  Remove the 40 gb and replace it with the new one and place back the 80 gb where it was.  You should be good to go.  Its that simple. :thumbup

It's not copying... it's imaging. Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image will do this for you.

"You can use the Copy Drives feature when you upgrade to a larger hard drive [versus backup] or when you add a second hard drive. You should not use the Copy feature to set up a hard drive that will be used on another computer."

Imaging is mainly for recovery, copying will save a few steps and would be better suited. I assume Acronis does the same.

If copying with Explorer doesn't work, then you may need the additional software.

When you say copy, I think of simply selecting all the folders in the drive and copying them over in Explorer. This doesn't work very well. You also have to deal with the fact that the MBR is on the 40GB drive and won't be on the 200GB drive if you simply copy the files over.

Most imaging programs will do copying of partitions, or transferring partitions from one computer to another. They will also copy partition information, such as which partition is the boot partition, which is active, etc etc etc. Copying in Explorer will not.

"You can use the Copy Drives feature when you upgrade to a larger hard drive [versus backup] or when you add a second hard drive. You should not use the Copy feature to set up a hard drive that will be used on another computer."

Imaging is mainly for recovery, copying will save a few steps and would be better suited. I assume Acronis does the same.

If copying with Explorer doesn't work, then you may need the additional software.

When I spoke of Copy Drives feature, I was referring to Ghost. This will copy verbaturm the system hard drive. And from the last post, you will need this or similar software. You can also use this if you have multiple particians; however, you must copy each partition separately. This may be better with image copy; otherwise, if you don't have mutliple particians, Copy Drives will work best.

Edited by Redcloud

Sorry, "You can use the Copy Drives feature when you upgrade to a larger hard drive [versus backup] or when you add a second hard drive. You should not use the Copy feature to set up a hard drive that will be used on another computer."

This was taken directly from page 91, Chapter 7, Norton Ghost 9.0. But I did initially post you could do that with explorer. I was just responding to the correction that I acknowledged in the previous post.

Hi ... This is what I have done so far I have burned eveything thats on my secondary drive ( 80gb ) onto dvd disk and afterward if I need to redownload anything again , I can from the dvd disk if need be , What I will try is this , I am going to remove the master drive 40gb drive and install the new 200gb drive as master when it finally arrive , Then I will perform a clean installment of windows xp onto the 200gb drive and if I end up having problems getting any data/programs from my secondary drive , I will just use my dvd disk and reload everything again , afterward I will clean the secondary 80gb , format it and reload everything back , This way I can always use my old 40gb in the future if anything might happen to my new 200gb drive , I will keep my 40gb as a emergency

Thanks though to everyone that assist ... :thumbup

Does anybody have pictures of a motherboard adding an additional hdd drive to it?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Unlock phones music soccer tv Cheap mp3s get back on ebay even after suspension

Money reading emails

Male entertainers

Improve your golf score in 2 weeks

Stop smoking within a week

Amazing paypal loophole a must for buyers and sellers

Get £5 for absolutely free

Get £4 for joining ebay and bidding absolutely free