hardware failure problem

dee88

im having problems with my pc yet again, (this is my older one btw) when ever i turn it on sometimes it wont start successfuly and if it does it says something like hardware failure, please contact compaq for assistance. then says to send a report to microsoft.

i dont know what to do, can any one help me please.

info on the error. look in ur manuel to see if there is a list of errors, or maybe just call compaq to find out what the error means. we cant rly help since we have no clue waht the erros is suppose to mean.

Open the case and dust it it out w/a can of air. Then check that all cables are in snug. Make sure none of the capacitors are leaking or are pregnant. However, if this error is a result of heat abuse or a blown part, it probably is too late to fix.

Have you added any new hardware lately, changed the boot order, or messed w/ the bios?

Wrong boot order, modded/bad drivers, messing with boot files (ntldr,ntoskrnl, etc) could cause your problem as well. As everyone else said, .a bit more info like an error code or the time when it pops up would be nice.

got the problem sorted, i still dont know what the problem was but i just cleaned the pc out and took all the parts out a put them back in and it just started work again! put im going to call compaq, and tell them about the problem just incase it happens again

Probably a bad case of chip creep... It happens when the case get cold and hot (contractions and expansions) will make the PCI, RAM, AGP, and evan the CPU come in and out of the slots/sockets... I usally try to check my cards aleast 6 times a year since i live in a very hot/humid climate in the summer and a cold/dry winters.... :yes: