WinXP vs Win2000 in memory consumption

I currently have WinXP Pro SP2 installed in my PC with the following processor and memory:

1.2GHz AMD Duron processor

128MB 266Mhz DDR RAM

I kind of notice that it doesn't respond well due to small RAM. That's why I'm thinking of switching into Win2000 Pro. Now what I want to know is that will Win2000 Pro run better in my current PC setup compared with WinXP? Does Win2000 consume less memory compared with WinXP? Is the performance of Win2000 better than WinXP?

BTW, in case I use Win2000, I'm planning to update it using the latest USP found in this forum.

This is cool.... OK a properly nlited 2k and xp OS with the appropiate services turned off which 1 uses less ram?

2k of course. gdogg had managed to get xp's memory usage down to 51.6Mb last time I looked. I however, have got 2k down to around 25Mb memory usage and my system32 folder is currently 37.2Mb. I've tested every single file in system32 and I only have left in there the files which are required for windows to boot with no errors. Of course, I'll need to add a few files back again for the functionality I need. For example, I'll have to put VDMDBG.DLL back again so I can run Taskmgr.exe (then I'll be able to see how much memory usage I'm really using). But there are still improvements to be made like giving minlogon a try. I assume minlogon will let me remove a few more dll files? I hope somebody knows which ones, otherwise I've got 84 DLL files to test. Although thinking about it, a lot of those files couldn't be deleted while windows is running. Maybe if I went through each file in safe mode, I could reduce it even more. Then theres all the registry pruning to be done.

Edited by At0mic

At0mic

Thats fantastic. How did you do it with nlite, batch files, runonce.

This is very cool. I need details

Minlogon from 2k embedded would be cool but you can also patch winlogon with the patch for xp. The effects are not as profound but it does boot a little faster and also WFP is turned off for winlogon and allows further tweaking of this file with reshack etc. I need full functionality so I am wondering what could be done with 2k.

I want to put the file winntbbu.dll from xp into 2k so I can get the setup billboard into it so I can edit it to say what I want. I will have to edit txtsetup and dosnet I think to make it work, what do you think?

Edited by dirtwarrior

For me it has always been the complete opposite. Windows 2000 has always ran incredibly slow on my computers (one of which is an athlon xp 3000+ with 1.5GB DDR400). On full load, XP has always consumed much less ram than 2000 with the default windows settings and services running. Whoever got their memory usage down to 25MB, I just have one question... how the hell did you do that?