Office2K3 SP2 slipstreamed - Keep Install Cache?

Zxian

I've been messing around with my Office 2003 install and I've been trying to figure out a way to slipstream the recently released SP2 while still keeping the ability to cache the install files.

From the other Office 2003-SP2 thread, evilvoice and prathapml brought the Enterprise Release of Office 2003 Setup.exe to my attention which allows for new properties, ENFORCECACHE and CACHEONLY.

I've tried adding ENFORCECACHE to my setup.ini file as the first entry under the [Cache] settings, but I still don't end up with the msocache folder on my drive (I know it's hidden).

I also found this guide on slipstreaming SP1 and creating an AIO CD, but when I follow the instructions for SP2, I end up with a ~1.4GB image...:wacko: I'm wondering... should the separate CDs be in separate folders? or can I simply overwrite the existing files/duplicates (I don't think so, but...).

Any ideas?

I've been messing around with my Office 2003 install and I've been trying to figure out a way to slipstream the recently released SP2 while still keeping the ability to cache the install files.

From the other Office 2003-SP2 thread, evilvoice and prathapml brought the Enterprise Release of Office 2003 Setup.exe to my attention which allows for new properties, ENFORCECACHE and CACHEONLY.

I've tried adding ENFORCECACHE to my setup.ini file as the first entry under the [Cache] settings, but I still don't end up with the msocache folder on my drive (I know it's hidden).

I also found this guide on slipstreaming SP1 and creating an AIO CD, but when I follow the instructions for SP2, I end up with a ~1.4GB image...:wacko: I'm wondering... should the separate CDs be in separate folders? or can I simply overwrite the existing files/duplicates (I don't think so, but...).

Any ideas?

I've been trying to accomplish the same thing... but I have had no luck either. Has anyone done this?

in SETUP.INI you can find theese strings

[Cache]

; The cache section provides settings for caching the install source locally

; Value Default Description

; CDCACHE 2 Option to specify cache level

; [auto, 0, 1, 2]

; LOCALCACHEDRIVE <predefined> Option to specify a drive to cache

; the install source to

; DELETABLECACHE 1 Option to display UI to remove the

; cache at the end of setup [0,1]

; PURGE 0 Option to always remove cache at end of

; setup [0,1]

CDCACHE=auto

;LOCALCACHEDRIVE=C:\

DELETABLECACHE=1

PURGE=0

where CDCACHE= has following options (taken from Setup.HTM)

1 = cache only what you install

2 = cache entire source

maybe this is what you need?

Tried all that... If you read on the Microsoft website, the ENFORCECACHE automatically sets CDCACHE=2

It doesn't work with an administrative install, which is what it seems like you need for slipstreaming. Is there another method to slipstream without creating an administrative install perhaps?

Don't know if this is right, but what if you slipstream office 2003 first, then copy over the "EntSetup.exe" to the unatteneded image?

Quote from MS site

Overview

This download is a replacement of the Office 2003 setup.exe file for administrators who plan to deploy Office 2003 with Local Installation Source enabled.

I haven't tried it yet but same as you and the rest would like to know if it's possible.

Yup... slipstream SP2 into Office 2003 as per the instructions on the UA site. Then drop EntSetup.exe into the root of the CD (or folder) and run it with the same switches as the regular setup.exe, but with ENFORCECACHE added to the setup.ini file.

So in order to get the desired effect, you have to run the exe file and not initiate setup via msi? I haven't had time to experiment with this yet, but I'm guessing you may be able to set the ENFORCECACHE property directly into the msi file itself. I'll give it a shot tommorow.

• 1 month later...
Yup... slipstream SP2 into Office 2003 as per the instructions on the UA site. Then drop EntSetup.exe into the root of the CD (or folder) and run it with the same switches as the regular setup.exe, but with ENFORCECACHE added to the setup.ini file.

I am in the same boat. :( I can't seem to figure out why I never get a cached folder.

• 3 weeks later...

Where would I add ENFORCECACHE in an Autorun.inf? This is a single install CD!

[autorun]

OPEN=setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-

ICON=SETUP.EXE,1

shell\configure=&Configure...

shell\configure\command=SETUP.EXE

shell\install=&Install...

shell\install\command=SETUP.EXE

The problem with the administrative install is that you need to add MSINODISABLEMEDIA=1 to your command line when setting up the administrative install point, like so:

y:\setup.exe /a MSINODISABLEMEDIA=1

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistan...1401931033.aspx

After that, add ENFORCECACHE to setup.ini as per Microsoft.

However, there is still a problem. The setup looks for PRO11.XML to know what files to copy to the local installation source. It looks for the file in \files\setup in your administrative install point, and that file does not normally exist in an admin install point from what I've seen.

I'm going to try copying PRO11.XML from the original CD to \files\setup and see if that works.

Any ideas?

I haven't tried that methond, but looking it over, it creates the appropriate *.xml files. However, you need to use CDIMAGE with the -o switch to get an AIO Office 2003 CD, as that switch causes CDIMAGE to make a single copy of duplicate files and save pointers to those files elsewhere, the idea being that, in an AIO Office 2003 install, there are many duplicated files across the various CDs, and the -o switch will reduce the resulting image down to less than 700 MB. At least, that's the claim; like I said, i haven't tried it myself.

Edited by Peregrine7

I am using the "new" SETUP.EXE, the AUTORUN.INF looks like this:

[autorun]

OPEN=setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-

ICON=SETUP.EXE,1

shell\configure=&Configure...

shell\configure\command=SETUP.EXE

shell\install=&Install...

shell\install\command=SETUP.EXE

....And the SETUP.INI lloks like this:

; Microsoft Office SETUP.EXE settings file.

[MSI]

; The MSI section gives the name of the MSI file to install. This file must be in

; the same folder as Setup.exe, and both must be in the root of the installation

; tree.

MSI=PRO11.MSI

[Product]

ProductCode={90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}

ProductName=Microsoft Office 2003

ProductVersion=11.0.5614.0

Recache=1

[MST]

; The MST section gives the full path to a transform that should be applied.

;MST1=\\server\share\some transform.mst

;MST1=D:\transforms\my transform.mst

[Options]

; The option section is used for specifying individual Installer Properties.

;USERNAME=Customer

;COMPANYNAME=my company

;INSTALLLOCATION=C:\Program Files\MyApp

[Display]

; The diplay section is used for overriding the default UI

; Display full Option to override the default UI

; [none, quiet, basic, reduced, full]

; CompletionNotice Yes Option to display a setup completion

; notice for otherwise quiet setup

;Display=None

;CompletionNotice=Yes

[Logging]

; The logging section provides settings for controlling the Setup log files.

; Type vpiwaeo Logging modes

; [a, c, e, i, m, o, p, r, u , v,

; w, *, +]

; Path %TEMP% Path to create logfiles

; Template SetupLog(*).txt File name for log file should end in

; "(*).txt"; the * is replaced with a 4

; digit number to make the file name unique

Template=Microsoft Office 2003 Setup(*).txt

Type=piwaeo

;Path=\\MyServer\logfiles\

;Template=Product %UserName%(*).txt

[MinOSRequirement]

; MinOSRequirement is used for defining the minimal OS requirement for

; installing the product.

VersionNT_1=500

WindowsBuild_1=2195

ServicePackLevel_1=3

[Cache]

; The cache section provides settings for caching the install source locally

; CDCACHE 2 Option to specify cache level

; [auto, 0, 1, 2]

; LOCALCACHEDRIVE <predefined> Option to specify a drive to cache

; the install source to

; DELETABLECACHE 1 Option to display UI to remove the

; cache at the end of setup [0,1]

; PURGE 0 Option to always remove cache at end of

; setup [0,1]

CDCACHE=auto

LOCALCACHEDRIVE=C:\

DELETABLECACHE=0

PURGE=0

ENFORCECACHE=1

[OfficeWebComponents]

MSI=OWC11.MSI

This does not auto play and right clicking on the drive and choosing install, give a Fatal Error box. Any help?

-Marc

Well, it didn't work. No errors on the install, but no MSOCache either.

[Edit]

Ok. After some research, I get it.

You can't get the MSOCache from an administrative install point, because the admin install decompresses the CAB files on the CD, and those CAB files are what gets copied to the MSOCache. So you are left with using the method in this thread: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51225 to slipstream SP and updates and get the MSOCache.

Oh, well.

Edited by Peregrine7

Just an FYI here.. I've haven't had a need for the source cache yet. I use a switchless silent installer that I keep up to date with the post SP2 hotfixes. Install is done from svcpack.inf. Just to see I went to a machine that was installed some time ago, so it was SP2 with no subsequent updates. Went to Microsoft Update, let it download and install the updates, there was no complaining about needing the source.

So needless to say I'm a little confused now. I clearly remember running into this problem back with SP1.

@RogueSpear - I remember having this problem with SP1 as well. I'm guessing that at some point, we'll need the cache for an update in future.

I've never really got a chance to test out the .CAB rebuilding method on a real computer. Every time that I run it in VMware, I never get the MSOCache folder.

This problem is really starting to bug me... :(