ModifyPE ?

I've read a few posts about ModifyPE, plus the unattended.msfn.org guide, but I'm still not sure of what type of events actually need this.

Is this necessary at all for replacing files on our unattended CD? I've never got an error, and all I've been doing is "makecab" or just manually typing a .dll to .dl_. (to logonui, winntbbu, and some other dlls.)

thanks

Edited by 1boredguy

I've never got an error, and all I've been doing is "makecab" or just manually typing a .dll to .dl_. (to logonui, winntbbu, and some other dlls.)

I hope you remember those files that you just renamed from .dll to dl_

Cause you'll need to rename them back from .dl_ to .dll

for compressing the files, use one of jcarle's utilities, entitled "Compression Bin"

Here is the URL to the Post: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=25442

that will help you a lot here. :thumbup

As for the replacing all files, no you don't need to, just the ones that you want changed. (ie Custom OOBE, Custom Steup screens, or some of the TCP/IP hacks that are floating around)

Within the header of a file is a checksum. If you modify a file, you are changing the size of that file. If the checksum says 500 kb and the file is 600 kb then you will get an error when setup expands it. Use ModifyPE to correct the checksum to receive no errors. Then use MakeCab to compress the file.

It is not needed if you do not alter contents of the file in the first place.

Compression bin is just a front end for doing the 2 commands of ModifyPE and MakeCab.