push driver via gpo ro WSUS

lcohen999

I have a Broadcom NIC and (after help on this board, thanks again) it was determined that I need to upgrade this driver. I have 80 pcs to update.

Is it possible to get this driver out either with a .vbs, gpo or WSUS.

I just synced my WSUS server and that driver does not show up there.

Any assistance would be appreciated

as far as I know.. no you cannot.. WSUS can only distribute Windows Update content. MS ads signitures to their files to approve them.. I would not imagine they would enable this functionality because it would be like opening a door for a virus writer to try and exploit this and deploy it to every computer in the enterprise..

I would say use Group Policy

You could use group policy to trigger a script (startup scripts runs under system context, so it would likely be best) which silently installs the driver. However, if you have a mix of systems, and only SOME of them need the driver, then I'd recommend first creating an OU solely for these systems and then dropping all systems needing this driver update into the new OU, then assign your startup script to the new OU. A reboot of these systems would then trigger the script and the driver update would install. However, I'd recommend coding the script to also sense whether or not the system had already been updated to the new driver version myself (either through a registry check or some sort of file version comparison). Tools such as reg.exe and filever.exe would be helpful in these cases.

- Ravashaak

Edited by ravashaak

Another thing you could potentially do would be to push the script to the target systems via PSEXEC from sysinternals.com. Please note that if you try this method, I'd recommend thoroughly testing it first as not all installers react well to remote installation via PSEXEC.

- Ravashaak