unwanted floppy drive access

dennish

I am running Windows98 on a desktop which is networked.

During bootup it thrashes the floppy drive for about 20 seconds which is annoying. There is no disc in the floppy drive.

It has booted from the hard drive and put up the desktop then after the windows logon it thrashes the floppy.

Does anyone know how to stop this?

Edited by dennish

When your computer is loading. Press F2 to enter setup (or whichever key your PC specifies.)

Go to the boot sequence options and change the floppy drive to the last device, and your hard drive as the first boot device.

The floppy drive will not be accessed anymore as the hard drive will boot up first.

Hope this helps

There must be a program which loads at startup that looks for a file from the floppy.

Use Run--->MSCONFIG and click on the startup tab. Uncheck any programs that are not needed at startup and then restart.

If you are unsure on which programs to uncheck then post it.

:( checked the MSCONFIG and only 2 run at startup which I want.

Checked all the other tabs and coud not find any reference to a:

decided to find all ~*.* files on c: to delete them and when fins starts it still tries to access a: then c:

?

I used to have this problem when I was a fan of using Norton products - I now don't use Norton products, for a variety of reasons. Your problem may be something to do with one of the installed apps 'remembering' a recent file save location in the a: drive - if you searched the registry for any instances of a:\ (or even a:) - the entry should be either a MRU setting which should be safe to delete, or something entirely different.

During bootup it thrashes the floppy drive for about 20 seconds which is annoying. There is no disc in the floppy drive.

Try this : Go in Control Panel/System Properties/Performance/File System/Floppy Disk and untick "Search for new floppy disk drives each time computer starts"