I cannot access a shared folder!

sakulati

Hi all!!! We have installed a windows 2003 server trial version in the lab and I cant seem to connect to a shared folder. I have shared a folder in one of the computers running 2003 server with proper permissions like NETWORK was added and as well as EVERYONE. the read and write permissions were also set. the problem is when I try to access the shared folder ( using the same OS win 2003 server ) by typing the computer name in the run command (e.g. \\lab1-30) a window would pop up with a disabled textbox default to GUEST and a textbox for the password...men, cant I change the username? its grayed and I cant log or connect to the shared resource!!! How can I fix this bug? pls help me...

Are these computers both on the same domain? or are they on a workgroup?

My guess is that they are not on the same domain, becuase otherwise you could add domain users to the permissions and you would not have that problem.

As gheron mentioned, try adding administrator or some other local account to the permissions list and see if you aren't able then to type this username into the security prompt.

if the guest (username) area of the pop-up box is greyed out then no, he is not in a domain environment

enable guest accounts on both boxes and set them both to blank passwords but please realise how insecure this is and how likely you are going to get virused via unc shares

Hey guys...tnx for ur advices...I already got the solution to the problem. Its a matter of applying security permissions to the shared resources. Well...I am glad to be here where all smart guys like you help. Thanks very much!!!