Best Backup / Imaging SW

jakedsnake

Want to backup my entire HD. I noticed that XP has a free backup utility. Has anyone used it ? Is it any good ?

What is the difference between backing up your entire disk and imaging ?

Basically, what I am looking for is 'free' sw that I can back up / image the entire HD and reinstall should it crash or should I need to move to another PC.

Also, do not want to use sw that could be obsolete in a year or two....i.e. if it compresses the backup I want to be able to get at it again even if I lose the original backup sw.

cheers,

JDS ;)

If you want to use the contents of your hard drive in another computer, then you must create image. Backup is for replacing or adding hard drive in the same computer. My question.....how do you create an image in one computer and restore it in another?

thanks Redcloud, To answer you question I intend taking an image from my laptop onto an external HD. If I need to replace a crahsed HD or move to another laptop should mine get stolen I hope the image that I have on the external HD (tucked away at home) will get my new laptop up to scratch in no time. Am I correct or no ?

thanks Redcloud, To answer you question I intend taking an image from my laptop onto an external HD. If I need to replace a crahsed HD or move to another laptop should mine get stolen I hope the image that I have on the external HD (tucked away at home) will get my new laptop up to scratch in no time. Am I correct or no ?

No, images are VERY "hardware dependant", the image you made of your actual laptop will be VERY good to put it back in case (for example) of a HD crash or filesystem corruption, but it will be of NO use on a different model/make (unless some VERY HEAVY tweaking is made on the image).

jaclaz