RISult - Integrating RIS + RyanVM/BTS packs

Fencer128

Hi Everyone,

I have been having lots of fun recently with RIS, RyanVM update packs and BTS driver packs. The result is that I realised that creating an unattended and fully integrated RIS risetup build that will install on most systems requires many tweaks/steps.

Now, given I like a bit of a project (it feeds the geek in me! :D ) I've spent the past month creating a batch file that does the following:

1. Converts a vanilla risetup i386 file set to fully resemble a CD based file set

2. Edits BTS batch files for unattended use

3. Integrates RyanVM's update packs

4. Integrates BTS's driver packs

5. Edits BTS batch files for RIS install

6. Converts the file set to fully resemble a risetup file set

7. Removes uneeded files

I've, rather cheesily, called the file "RISult" - mainly because I can't think of anything better! :P

For anyone that uses RIS on a daily basis, or has tried integrating RyanVM's and/or BTS's packs for RIS manually, this will hopefully prove to be very useful.

I have tested this a fair bit but welcome observations and suggestions as I wish to update the file regularly.

I have compiled a "to do" and "known issue" list, and will update as I can.

To do:

- Rewrite RISult using VB

Known Issues:

- None

RISult can be downloaded via:

Link removed as now as way out of date. If you need this please PM me. Thanks.

Please note, the following information is contained within RISult.cmd and is reproduced below for reference. Please read before use!!!

Please BACK UP your system/RIS files BEFORE use!
Although this file has been successfully tested, please realise that you use it AT YOUR OWN RISK!

This file is FREEWARE and can be used by anyone for any purpose

Tested with Windows 2003 Server (Standard and Enterprise) SP1, Windows XP Professional SP2 and RIS
Only the BTS method 2, GUIRunOnce, KtD=No configuration has been tested (RISult executes these options by default)
Only paths/filenames with no spaces in them have been tested

This script assumes that:

All initial files come from official, vanilla Microsoft VLP media with latest service pack slipstreamed
Risetup.exe has been used to copy up a vanilla Windows XP Professional SP2 CD to your RIS server
The i386 folder from the above has been copied to a local directory
You have ROBOCOPY installed on your PC (i.e.Install Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit)
The USER CUSTOMISABLE SECTION of the batch file below has been edited to suit your system
When all is done you will edit or replace the i386\templates\*.sif file yourself
You will need to restart the binlsvc service after batch file completion

RISult - a batch file for creating RIS compatible integrations

Last successfully tested with:

RyanVM Integrator Version: 1.2.2
RyanVM Update Pack Version: 2.0.5
BTS Base Pack Version: 6.03.4

RISult would not work without the significant effort of others
Please see the CREDITS section within for full acknowledgements

Version 1.1.7 (24/03/06)

Written by:
Andrew M Woodman - AKA Fencer128 (http://www.msfn.org and RyanVM forums)

IMPORTANT! - Before continuing Please make sure you have:

ECHO 1. Read and understood the statements at the top of the batch file
ECHO 2. Edited the "USER CUSTOMISABLE SECTION" at the top of the batch file

Please can people test it and let me know how it goes.

Good luck! ;)

Andy

EDIT: RISult has been updated. See included changelog for full details:

Download from:

Link removed as now as way out of date. If you need this please PM me. Thanks.

Edited by Fencer128

Tried RISult and other than fixing a problem in the .sif file where the quotes were in the wrong place (command10 = "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\TEMP\BTS_DPs_cleanup.cmd") everything seemed to work great. :thumbup

Followed the instructions and cast an image to a new machine. Then modified the new machine for the specific lab it was in (Desktop, start button and printer) and then ripreped a new image. No errors there.

Attempted to put the repreped new image on another machine and get the error "The BINL service cannot locate a flat image with a version that matches the version of the RIPREP image."

Any ideas?

:thumbup Forget ths post. I looked and found ntk* files that were updated in my RIPREP image that were not in my flat image. Copied them to the flat and it is loading now.

Edited by dgould393

Tried RISult and other than fixing a problem in the .sif file where the quotes were in the wrong place (command10 = "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\TEMP\BTS_DPs_cleanup.cmd") everything seemed to work great. :thumbup

Followed the instructions and cast an image to a new machine. Then modified the new machine for the specific lab it was in (Desktop, start button and printer) and then ripreped a new image. No errors there.

Attempted to put the repreped new image on another machine and get the error "The BINL service cannot locate a flat image with a version that matches the version of the RIPREP image."

Any ideas?

:thumbup Forget ths post. I looked and found ntk* files that were updated in my RIPREP image that were not in my flat image. Copied them to the flat and it is loading now.

Hi,

Glad to hear it works ok for you :) . I've corrected the sif file problem so if you redownload everything should be fine.

Thanks,

Andy

I spoke (wrote :blushing: ) to soon. The Riprep image worked find on the machine I made it on but when I tried to put it on another machine (same purchase order) it reported that there was no hard drive. Also the orginal machine showed it needed 10 critical updates when I went to MS update. I did migrate both command 9 and command 10 to the sif file. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

I've personally never had luck with RIPrep and after fighting with it for so long, just went ahead and made my normal RIS images so automated and tweaked that the end result is the same. Actually probably superior since it's clean install. I've never considered RIPrep installs to be "clean".

My first hunch is to say that there's a difference in the mass storage controller from one machine to another. With all of these new SATA controllers, RAID controllers coming out these days, I could imagine this happening.

I spoke (wrote :blushing: ) to soon. The Riprep image worked find on the machine I made it on but when I tried to put it on another machine (same purchase order) it reported that there was no hard drive. Also the orginal machine showed it needed 10 critical updates when I went to MS update. I did migrate both command 9 and command 10 to the sif file. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Hi,

I'm not sure what the issue is, but I wrote RISult to deal with risetup.exe file sets, as opposed to riprep images. There may be a problem with RISult, but I suspect if you've built a "master" PC using a RIS image created via RISult (and that works ok for you), and then used riprep on it to create an image - the problem lies with one or more of the following:

1. The changes made by riprep

2. Slightly differing hardware on different machines

3. The known issues in RyanVM and/or BTS base packs

Please let me know if you get any further forward with this.

Thanks,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128

• 2 weeks later...

The reason I use Riprep is to rebuild about 80 public machines bi-monthly. Each machine has two different user profiles (not counting the Administrator) and all of them are members of a domain. If I could find some way of putting those profiles into the orginal image I wouldn't need to use Riprep. Any ideas anyone?

Edited by dgould393

Going on a guess here.. you want to take two domain user accounts that are simply "users" in the domain and add them to either the Administrators or Power Users group on the local machine. If this is the case you could easily modify the user accounts script I have in my guide to do just that. If you're not too familiar with VBscript and need a hand, just let me know.

Hi,

I have been using ris with ripref very succesfully since march/april, as it stands at the moment my company has rolled out over 200 machines with all of two images :)

As for the error "The BINL service cannot locate a flat image with a version that matches the version of the RIPREP image." . I have had this when you have created a ripimage from a full xp installation source that doesnt exist on your ris share as riprep requires a normal installation from ris to be carried out before you can riprep.

Great script, I will give it a go next time i need to update our driver pack images as its a pain in the butt to do it manually.

I am quite impressed with this tool, it will come in very handy and I thank you for your time and effort. I only have to correct two issues in order to get it to work for me. I may be doing something wrong or leaving something out that is required. I don't install BTS drivers, I leave the directory blank. Same with the Custom folder, I leave it empty as well. I am using RVM_Integrator_1.0.exe with RVMUpdatePack2.0.0.cab.

1. I have to change sp2.cab reference in txtsetup.sif of RIS_Install from sp2.cat to sp2.cab.

2. I have to run the following commands post-install inorder to get Windows Update to work. Error Code: 0x800A01AE:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Has there been any success using other tools, such as nLite, with your script?