Norton Internet Security 2006

Orsi

• 2 months later...
Can I assume that the activation process cannot be done in the silent install???? Do you not have to enter the cd key to install the product first, even before thinking about activation???

Do like several of us did to solve the activation problem for NIS 2005 - install NIS 2006, activate it, then uninstall it. See what's left behind after the uninstall in the registry and in the Program Files directory. Whatever is left behind is usually what's necessary for activation (for instance, the symlcrst.dll file for NAV/NIS 2005).

You can probably enter the product key through a registry entry, like in the 2005 editions.

And share your results - although I currently have no reason to install NIS 2006, I may have to update my dad's computer from NIS 2004 in the next few months.

Edited by jrf2027

Found out, it's exactly like Norton Internet Sec. 2005

( SymSetup.EXE /O REBOOT=ReallySuppress /qb )

I cannot understand what do I have to do to activate Norton Internet Security 2006. I haven't found any program at p2p programs... I cannot understand what you mean "SymSetup.EXE /O REBOOT=ReallySuppress /qb". Please help...

By the way congratulations for this forum. It looks nice :thumbup:w00t::thumbup

I cannot understand what do I have to do to activate Norton Internet Security 2006. I haven't found any program at p2p programs... I cannot understand what you mean "SymSetup.EXE /O REBOOT=ReallySuppress /qb". Please help...

By the way congratulations for this forum. It looks nice :thumbup:w00t::thumbup

First, copy all you're norton setup files to C:\NIS.

Now to activate Norton you're gonna need to disconnect from the internet and install it manually. Enter you're serial number and reboot. Norton will try to communicate with their server. You're offline so it will fail. When the activation screen comes up select "Activate By Phone" and fill all the boxes with zero's except for the last three digits, which have to be 9's.

Go to the C:\NIS folder containing SymSetup.exe. Then create a new file called "install.cmd" and put this code in it:

@echo off

REM Register norton...
regedit /S register.reg
COPY /Y symlcrst.dll "%programfiles%\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccpd-lc\"

REM Begin setup...
DEL /F "%temp%\symsetup.ini"
start /wait SymSetup.exe /qb /noreboot REBOOT=ReallySuppress

EXIT

The file created after activation is symlcrst.dll in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccpd-lc. This file is machine-dependant so there's no way to use it on another computer :( , but if you're just upgrading all you have to do is go to safe mode and copy this file to your C:\NIS folder. Then use install.cmd to do the rest for you.

Remember, if you try to use symlcrst.dll on a different machine norton will crash during seup. The same applies to SystemWorks.

For NAV try SYMSETUP.EXE /qn /noreboot REBOOT=ReallySuppress

This works perfectly with NSW 2006 and NIS 2006 so it should also work for NAV 2006, although I've never tried installing NAV as a stand-alone setup. :unsure:

yep ;)