Symantec antivirus 10 - is it stable?

osont

I have a dual boot pc with XP64 and XP 32bit

The XP 32bit is stable but the XP64 is producing mini dumps when I hammer the machine.

I am processing lots of graphics files in photoshop and paintshop pro in batches that can take hours to run. (obviously it is quicker in 64bit which I why I tried it out)

However in XP64 I find that after I have setup the batch job to run and come back later to check the job I am finding that occassionally the PC has rebooted and a mini dump has occured. The mini dump error imples a memory conflict. It is happening infrequently but only when intensive disk and CPU work is happening.

I was concerned by other posts that implied the nforce chipset for xp64 had problems with IDE drivers and considered removing them however I first decided it would be easier to minimise what processes were running on the xp64 system.

The only non XP64 operating system process that I had running was Symantic anti-virus so I uninstalled it.

For 2 weeks now I have not had a mini dump.

This seems to imply that the anti virus service is the culprit although I guess there maybe some conflig with the nforce ide driver (note I have both SATA and IDE drives on the machine and the graphics files are being written to the SATA drive)

Is anyone else having problems with Symantic anti-virus 10 for xp64 and getting occasional mini dumps?

You could try the 6.67 nforce4 chipset drivers. They have updated IDE/SATA/RAID drivers.

Personally I don't use norton because I consider it bloated and pretty crappy. For x64 antivirus your best bet is probably avast.

http://www.avast.com/

The home version is completely free, there is also a professional version you can pay for, which is what I have.

Personally I don't use norton because I consider it bloated and pretty crappy. For x64 antivirus your best bet is probably avast.

The retail version of Norton AV is "bloatware". The corporate versions of Symantec Antivirus generally are not, and work a lot better in my opinion that the retail Norton series. I use the x32 and x64 versions of Symantec Corporate (thanks to my wonderful employer) and haven't had any problems (to date).

I was running the x64 verison of SAV10 for a couple weeks (at most) and starting getting errors everytime I booted up saying the virus defs were missing or something. I love the 32-bit version of SAV, so I was rather disappointed when I started having problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been running SAV v10 since about 20mins after i installed x64 XP, its been absolutely fine (as a side note the only thing thats ever brought the OS down is a recurring bug in GTA san andreas that can make it hang on loading games) and ive stressed/strained it many times. Usually when such errors are created under heavy workloads its best to check things like RAM timings etc.

However if youre very certain its SAV causing grief then ensure it is disabled while installing the drivers and that you set an exclusion for the location of the driver files once installed.

• 1 month later...

What is the actual bluescreen stop error, and what is the callstack information? I've been using SAV10 here just fine on a few machines, but it's likely irrelevant to your situation ("works fine on my machine!" :)). If you can post the stop hex code, the callstack data, and any .sys or .dll files that you see in the dump data, that would be great. It would be good if I could look at the minidump .dmp file as well, to debug it...

• 2 weeks later...