"Microsoft Windows Is Offically Broken"

ringfinger

I don't quite see how the title relates... but I understand the message behind the article (you linked to page 2 by the way.).

The article has some mistakes however...

The mass of patches and agglomerations that made up Windows turned it into an easy target for viruses and other Web-based attacks.
The majority of the patches released by Microsoft were meant to fix the vulnerabilities that made Windows XP a target for viruses - not the other way around. Why would you release a patch to make your software vulnerable?

My friends and I were discussing Microsoft's future after having a look at the Vista Beta. One of them - who uses an Apple Powerbook - suggested that Microsoft should follow Apple's lead with OSX and build a new OS from the ground up. The problem with such an idea is the fact that you would in all likelyhood loose all compatibility with programs designed for previous versions of Windows. OS8/9 and OSX programs are different, but then again, the size of the market that still uses OS8/9 is miniscule, even compared to that of OSX.

It's also somewhat unfair to compare the development cycles of Apple to Microsoft. Apple's OSX has had several different versions over the past few years, each adding a little bit of new functionality to the previous version. Microsoft tends to release large updates with more time inbetween. When XP was released, it was a huge step over the previous consumer Windows OS, Windows Millenium (we all know the horror stories there).

Linux still has a long way to go in terms of general usability. Yes, for simple tasks, it does the job. For most people however, if you want to do anything a little bit more advanced, it requires the command line, which scares most people ("You mean I actually have to type it in?!?").

I do think that the idea of modularity can be a good way to go about things, if done properly. It means a simpler method of upgrading components, or adding new functionality.

Okay Zxian... I'm never posting a link to news again!  You bash me every time!  :P  :lol:  J/K

Nonono... I'm not bashing. I just question everything I read.

Don't ever stop sharing the information you find. Just don't follow it without giving it a second look through to see if it actually makes sense... ;)

As for the CPU article, it was just the wording that irritated me... hehe. :P