Force Install ATI Catalyst Drivers

Thauzar

I have an ati graphic card preinstall with my Dell pc, and I'd like to update the drivers but I can't install the latest ati catalyst drivers because of some INF error. Looked on ati help site and it says it's on purpose on 3rd party installed ati cards and to use the one provided by Dell. But those are outdated since 2003!!!!

It also said to try and install default graphic adapter drivers but I cant do this in XP cause it automatically detects my card as an ati radeon and installs 2003 ati drivers.

So how could I force install the new ati catalyst drivers so it doesn't check if I have the correct ati hardware installed?

Thanks

It looks like they base their drivers links with a session timeout so you can't link them.... :}

Go to their main page. Select Windows XP from the "Drivers and Software" menu. Click on "Windows XP Drivers and Software" and then select "Notebooks with ATI Graphics" on the next page. And finally select "Catalyst Mobility 5.9 for Windows XP".

They don't list Dell in the support section but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't work.

It looks like they base their drivers links with a session timeout so you can't link them....  :}

Go to their main page.  Select Windows XP from the "Drivers and Software" menu.  Click on "Windows XP Drivers and Software" and then select "Notebooks with ATI Graphics" on the next page.  And finally select "Catalyst Mobility 5.9 for Windows XP".

They don't list Dell in the support section but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't work.

Thanks, I tried it yesterday and unfortunately it didn't work for the same reason the other install didn't work either. So it kinda make me go back to my first question: how can we force install ati drivers so it doesnt check what hardware I have install?? At worst, how could someone install ati drivers on a system that does not even have an ati card? Cause I'm sure the normal catalyst drivers would work perfectly, they only added a "protection" so they would not have to support Dell users if there was any trouble with a new driver.

Hehe....I have the answer!!!

http://www.driverheaven.net/

Go and grab the Driverheaven Mobility Mobber V2.2 and use that to patch the installer for the ATI Catalyst drivers.

You might need to find older Catalyst Drivers for your laptop. I've got the Catalyst 5.6 drivers on my laptop, since 5.7 and 5.8 don't work for me (no idea why). I haven't tried 5.9 yet either.

Hope this helps!

Hehe....I have the answer!!!

http://www.driverheaven.net/

Go and grab the Driverheaven Mobility Mobber V2.2 and use that to patch the installer for the ATI Catalyst drivers.

You might need to find older Catalyst Drivers for your laptop. I've got the Catalyst 5.6 drivers on my laptop, since 5.7 and 5.8 don't work for me (no idea why). I haven't tried 5.9 yet either.

Hope this helps!

I'll try it out when I get home tonight!!! Thanks, I already have 5.6, .7 .8 and mobility drivers since I had to try all of them to see IF they worked. *fingers crossed*. I'll post back to tell the results

This thread will surely help other people too.

for my part, the modd program 1st proposed did it perfectly with the 5.9 catalyst drivers... Don't know if they were IGP or whatever I just took the biggest file in Windows XP for RADEON... not like it there was a 1000 choices either.

And I finaly played the FEAR demo and this game rocks!

Thanks a lot guys. Uninstalling old drivers wouldn't have done bad but what's done was done and it worked, but next time I'll go for the cleaner install