Digital Camera

DarkCloud

OK, I'm having a small problem with a digital camera. This just started happening out of the blue so I'm hoping to get at least some info. Anyway, the camera takes pictures just fine and I've never had a problem connecting the camera to my PC to upload the pictures.

However, a few days ago my PC decided to stop recognising my camera and now I can't upload any photos. The camera is brand new, I've tried looking at the manufacturer's site and instruction manual and found nothing helpful, I looked on Microsoft's site and found no help there as well. I'm guessing its a USB cord issue, but that makes no sense because it's never been tampered with, everything is brand new so I have no clue as to what's going on. I've checked all the necessary USB ports, there are no exclamation points in the device manager, everything just stoppped working. I checked my camera settings and there is nothing in there that could have caused it to stop recognising.

If you must know the camera make and model, its a Vivitar Vivicam 5385. I could go and buy a memory card reader and upload pics that way, which is what the manufacturer suggests, but why spend more money on something like that?

Well what specifically is the problem? And how are you normally accessing the photos? Are you using the built-in camera program supplied by WinXP...or does the camera require using it's own proprietary application?

For shi*ts-n-giggles have you tried plugging it into a different USB port?

I've assisted several of my own customers in buying and installing external USB card readers.

File transfer seems to be faster and you can read one memory chip after another in quick succession. Once installed and running, most people prefer it to using the old USB cable method.

Spend the $19.95 and get the reader. You'll be glad you did.

Cheers,

Andromeda43

PS: You can write to the memory chips too. So you can use them to back up critical data files from your PC, just like with a Flash Drive.

If you must know the camera make and model, its a Vivitar Vivicam 5385.

post-57434-1127760097_thumb.jpg

I have a ViviCam 3640 .. Battery compartment is a bit wobbly. ie. Have to jiggle it and close firmly, otherwise says 'batteries need replacing..'

• Have you installed the software drivers?
  • Is the camera switching off because of dodgy battery compartment?
  • You didn't switch to 'PC Camera', did you?

XP will get the pictures but I choose just to drag the 100_0000 folder to desktop.

As said by others, try a different USB connection, if all bad could be faulty supplied cable. That's a special cable.

One thing i found just the yesterday was I just plugged in my camera to my computer(which worked before) and it suddenly didnt work. After searching around a little bit i found my way to disk management and saw a 1 gig drive with no label. I had just recently added a second virtual cd drive that took the drive letter that the camera usually took. Once i disabled that drive the camera showed up and everything worked as normal. I would assume you could just go into disk management and change the drive letter to something that was open as opposed to removing your other device.