Recovering greyscale image from multiple images

I have several images that are different shades but they were all created from the same grayscale "original", now my question is this: how can I use these images to get that original grayscale image and save the hue/colorize settings for later use (I have a huge set of these and I want to be able to run through them quickly).

Here is an example of the pictures I'll be using (all put on the same image),

example.png

I'd prefer to use Photoshop CS 2.

• 2 months later...

No that's not what I mean, if you desaturate them they are different; they were all made using the original source but if you desaturate them you get a greyscale version of that particular shade (the darkest will still be darkest, the lightest will still be lightest, etc). I'm trying to rebuild the original image that those files were made from (hard to explain I guess, but if you look at those 4 pictures, they look like they've been colorized, but they are the same picture).

I don't think you can get the exact original image, but you could average the 4 images and get something in the middle.

Yes, unless you've got A) a photographic memory or B) pixel-perfect printouts of the original backups, restoring the original exactly will be impossible. Pixels have been altered, you'll just have to do an average best-guess.

• 2 weeks later...