Setup PreFetch Cache?

JustPlay653

Could someone please explain to me what this actually does? Setup PreFetch Cache??

I tried google with not much luck?

Should i disable this?

Any Os Performance Increase?

What are the advantages of having this on?

And if i dont check the check box in nlite will it keep the default win2k3 settings? or will it default to Xp setting?

I would just get rid of prefetch, it seems to just make things slow and take space.

Basically prefetch stores some info for programs you launch to try to execute them quicker next time. I don't think it's very succesful at it personally though... :blushing:

• 1 year later...
Disabling prefetch because of it hogging RAM is a myth. In fact, the Windows XP boot process and application launches will be slower if you do.

Prefetch slows down fast computer with lots of RAM.

Among others, it sometimes (to often) make your computer "sleep" during boot (when the Microsoft Windows XP screen with the progress bar is displayed).

Trust my stars. ;)

Among others, it sometimes (to often) make your computer "sleep" during boot (when the Microsoft Windows XP screen with the progress bar is displayed)

that's right. without the prefetcher my Windows shows a half progessbar and than the Welcome page and thedesktop, but when prefetcher is enabled I see the progessbar 6 times :realmad: and the boottime increase a lot :(

Are you sure!?

Because I've read many positive things, like this one

or you can see here

There's not much positive things in your links, just "ideas". You'll find as much ideas if you google on "XP superfetch myth" or check this page.

Sorry Tux, I admit I can't test it because I don't have much RAM. :no:

I tend to use prefetch for the boot only.. app prefetch is useless for me, as I tend to reinstall around once a month.

The boot prefetch should decrease your boot tim after a couple of boots, but app prefetch will in general slowdown boot times, whilst decreasing app launch times. It's a tradeoff that you need to decide..

app prefetch is good if you install once a year, and only install the apps that you need.

app prefetch is crap if you rienstall often, or install/uninstall quite a few apps quite often. When this is the case, the prefetch just gets bloated down with many apps, some of which you may not even use any more.

I tend to use prefetch for the boot only.. app prefetch is useless for me, as I tend to reinstall around once a month.

The boot prefetch should decrease your boot tim after a couple of boots, but app prefetch will in general slowdown boot times, whilst decreasing app launch times. It's a tradeoff that you need to decide..

app prefetch is good if you install once a year, and only install the apps that you need.

app prefetch is crap if you rienstall often, or install/uninstall quite a few apps quite often. When this is the case, the prefetch just gets bloated down with many apps, some of which you may not even use any more.

This is the answer I was looking for :yes:

Disabling prefetch because of it hogging RAM is a myth. In fact, the Windows XP boot process and application launches will be slower if you do.

Prefetch slows down fast computer with lots of RAM.

Among others, it sometimes (to often) make your computer "sleep" during boot (when the Microsoft Windows XP screen with the progress bar is displayed).

Trust my stars. ;)

I suggest that you delete all of the files in the Prefetch folder and then literally reboot at least around 5 times and login before each reboot. The prefetching should work like a charm afterwards.

It more likely is because of there being too many prefetch files.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP