why do ppl make viruses?

ripken204

Well actually, there's really no such thing as a virus. It's all hype.

Code is code, that's it.

Some code does things YOU want it to do and other code does what someone else wants it to do without your permission or knowledge. Depends on your level of knowledge.

I would suspect that anyone who writes a lot of code (while an anti vi app is running) has found that thier own code is considered a virus, even though writing a virus was the furthest thing from thier mind. Been there.

We've been duped into believing in viruses to prepare us (scare us into submission) for planned future controls.

The average user hasn't got a clue.

Knowledge turns "viruses" back into dormant code.

why do you guys think that ppl make viruses? it think that it is b/c they love the feel of accomplishing something very hard like hacking you system.

Well, I have read most of the responces to this thread - and it looks like I basically need to give you a history lesson tin order to explain this.

And (in my opion) comparing it to grafitti is totally unfair both to the "Virus wirter" and to the "grafitti artist".....

See "grafitti" dose not nesicerily have to be bad - let me clarify, it is ALWAY wrong to apply pain to something that gose not belong to you, but not everyone that paints "grafitti dose that - all "grafitti" is is an unusual way way of expesing that persions artistic ability, sometimes this is done 100% legally, by some cities provideing a spesific place to do just that, if not availible, some even "Multi-color" their own car (and it actually looks good - un-usual, but good)

But as for computer viruses, THE first one was very directed. I was written by a guy (forget his name) that worked for a rather large company in there computer department, and he fond out that he was going to be fired (several weeks befor it was actually done) and this he knew was going to occure just before christmas (and this person did celibrate that holiday, and had a wife and kids) so knowing this ahead of time (probibly thinking they are teal a**holes to let him go at that time) took the few weeks he had left, and spent any free time he had to write a program that would really mess them up onece he was gone (The only one that could stop it was him), but there the guy had I ligit grudge if you ask me, but once he was dome, he gave his code to other people.

Unfortunately, once that code was released, it got in to the hands of Hackers (Well by true definition I am a hacker, but I refuse to do anything that would harm any one - I can, but ethically, I won't) and in was made "Better".

Initally sll they really wanted to do is keep guys that didn't belong there out of there message boards, exc, Then later it turned in to a thing to show programming skills.

But there are better ways of doing that and still get noticed,

But that is the thing with most moderan virus writers, yes the use a fake name, like we all do, but they ALWAYS sign there work some how - basically, unlike the guy that did in to "Get even" with the companey that fired him at a bad tim, these people want to be noticed.

I would almost go as far as stating if the news did not mention it, they would probibly stop (I said ALMOST, but that's not there only souce of recignition)

Point is, they WANT to be noticed, that's the bottum line - acctually the worst thing you could do to these types of people is plain ignore/not make a big deal out of what they have done.

Without any viruses, the entire anti-virus program developing companies would not be there. So just adding a conspiracy angle on my side, maybe it's just something that an AV guy's release and then have a patch ready in hand to clean it up.

Same applies to spyware/ malware/ adware/.....

Bragging rights!

They don't get paid for doing it, but it gives them bragging rights with their peers.

There is now a virus war going on between authors. One guy will write a virus to kill another guy's virus and replace it with his own.

The guy who can write the most impervious virus, is for a time the Alpha Male.

It's just a big game to those guys and they don't give a hoot, how many people they hurt in the process. The "Game" is everything. :realmad:

:whistle:

Well actually, there's really no such thing as a virus. It's all hype.

Code is code, that's it.

Some code does things YOU want it to do and other code does what someone else wants it to do without your permission or knowledge. Depends on your level of knowledge.

I would suspect that anyone who writes a lot of code (while an anti vi app is running) has found that thier own code is considered a virus, even though writing a virus was the furthest thing from thier mind. Been there.

We've been duped into believing in viruses to prepare us (scare us into submission) for planned future controls.

The average user hasn't got a clue.

Knowledge turns "viruses" back into dormant code.

...but isn't that exactly what a virus (non-computer type) is--code? Viruses that attack living things are nothing more than packaged DNA, or genetic CODE. Code that attempts to infiltrate our own cells and merge itself with our DNA to replicate itself and usually cause harm to the host cell/creature. Of course we have defense mechanisms, antibodies and whatnot, which usually do a good job of detecting and eliminating the virus--but often not until it has already caused at least some degree of damage to its host. Also, these same antibodies sometimes attack non-viral, non-threatening antigens, much like an anti-virus app will often detect non-viral code. The way I see it, VIRUS isn't just a nice code name for the malicious code it is associated with, but rather I find it scarry just how similar the computer variety is to the actual thing.

Immunizations turn "viruses" into dormant DNA.

Edited by TheFlash428

i suspect even the AV companies themselves nods for one of their programmers to create and release viruses once in a while since its funny how some companies have a cure almost immediatly...perhaps to sell more products.

i suspect even the AV companies themselves nods for one of their programmers to create and release viruses once in a while since its funny how some companies have a cure almost immediatly...perhaps to sell more products.

It's possible, but more often what happens is that the AV company finds a vulnerability or exploit in a M$ OS (or other). This information is passed along to M$ (or the appropriate party), but not released to the public to allow the manufacterer ample time to patch the vulerability. In the mean time, the AV company is aware and usually try to exploit the vulnerability themselves--in order to know how to fix it should the information be compromised. At least this is my understanding of the process.

i totally agree with you on that TheFlash428. its kind of like how the FDA doesnt want people to be healthy b/c then their will be no need for drugs and then our economy will be screwed up. the AV companies in a way want ppl to be infected so that ppl will buy their product.

certainly not impossible, if you pay much attention to the news you can see how many companies get caught breaking the law in some fashion when money is involved and no doubt some employees of av companies code such things on thier own. most that can code elaborate viruses have good jobs in the high tech industry.

Why are there seeds in my jelly?!

Seriously though, viruses have been developed since the dawn of computer's.

I agree 'some' of these so-called security companies develop their own viruses, using security holes to their advantage. They will finally submit their discovery after learning that someone else may have found it. However, It would be the largest scandal in history, if the majority of the viruses on the internet were developed by these companies, "IF" proven.

Edited by epic

Code is code, that's it.

I gotta disagree with this, as this is saying what i had once thought.. sure its nothing but 1's and 0's on your hard drive, but when its peiced together makes the actual virus.

so using this... would an airport allow me to carry on a disassembled gun? I don't think so. or is just changing a shareware program to make it registered legal cause your just changing 1's and 0's on your hard drive? nope still illegal.

do you think the FBI/RIAA are going to see that you have 50,000 Mp3's on your hard drive or nothing but 1's and 0's?

but back on topic, I think people make viruses to try to do what other people don't. sure anyone can make a batch file that deletes all files in the Windows folder. but to get it to reproduce and spread to other computers is an art.

The Sapphire/Slammer worm comes to mind. the total size of the slammer was only 376 bytes and doubled every 8.5 seconds. I couldn't make that if my life depended on it. and truely was a masterpeice in my opinion.

Source: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/sapphire/

Edited by Bi0haZarD

My opinion is that people who write viruses are just trying to show off. I beleive a lot of these pepole think they are really smart because they can write a virus. I get this impression from seeing how people act in the computer classes I take. Being in my first year of college these are all basic classes, or introductory.

I'm just amazed at how smug some of the people are, here they are in Introduction to c++, for example, and won't help other people when they have questions, or they just outright laugh at someone who asks a question. Then there are people who, during lectures, constantly ask irrelevant questions in an attempt to show off their knowledge.

I really could see people like this getting their hands on a virus, or writing thier own, and sending it out on the net so they can brag about it to others.

My opinion is that people who write viruses are just trying to show off.  I beleive a lot of these pepole think they are really smart because they can write a virus.  I get this impression from seeing how people act in the computer classes I take.  Being in my first year of college these are all basic classes, or introductory. 

I'm just amazed at how smug some of the people are, here they are in Introduction to c++, for example, and won't help other people when they have questions, or they just outright laugh at someone who asks a question.  Then there are people who, during lectures, constantly ask irrelevant questions in an attempt to show off their knowledge.

I really could see people like this getting their hands on a virus, or writing thier own, and sending it out on the net so they can brag about it to others.

Yup... I see that all the time in my courses as well... I also see people who don't properly understand how C++ programming works... I can't count the number of times I've seen "smart" students code:

if(something==something_else) return true;
else return false;

GRAHHH! You can replace all of that with...

return (something==something_else);

So much cleaner, so much simpler. Oh... and the students who write the first also brag about how many lines of code they've written... The second example is easier to understand (once you know what you're doing), and will execute faster than the first.

As for the reasoning to write viruses, it's got to do with a feeling of pride, as well as the ability to steal information from other people to make money. Many people have mentioned the possibilities that we would be able to accomplish if all these people spent their time making productive software.

Yup... I see that all the time in my courses as well... I also see people who don't properly understand how C++ programming works... I can't count the number of times I've seen "smart" students code:

if(something==something_else) return true;
else return false;

GRAHHH! You can replace all of that with...

return (something==something_else);

So much cleaner, so much simpler. Oh... and the students who write the first also brag about how many lines of code they've written... The second example is easier to understand (once you know what you're doing), and will execute faster than the first.

:lol: hahaha, that is so **** true :lol: