Problem with 98SE & ME

TooMuchFreeTime

I'm trying to create a all-in-one DVD but I have serious problem with win98SE and ME...

Basically they do get installed but they hang when they are supposed to boot to desktop for first time...

I get following error:

------------

Disk write error

Unable to write to disk in drive C:

Data or files may be lost.

Continue by pressing any key

------------

From there it goes to DOS prompt which says that I must reboot my computer...

however if I do reboot my computer I can boot to desktop using Safe mode...

but I cannot boot normally.

I have been following Flyakites guide and I have triple checked all steps from that guide.

I'm using the CDshell method for my multiboot DVD and I'm testing it in VMware.

This happens with both 98SE and ME but they are very similar anyway...

Has this happened to anyone else?

Any kind of help is welcome!

Edited by TooMuchFreeTime

You could try the following.

Press f8 when you see starting Windows prompt. Opt for step by step confirmation. Keep a close watch & make a note of thelast driver that gave you the bsd.

Boot to dos prompt delete the offending file. You probably have a problem with your partition on the hdd or a misbehaving driver is giving you a problem.

Mind you this is a long winded trial & error method.

Are you using any multi partition setup for an independent installation on the hdd ? Win98 & ME are probably the easiest ones to install.

There is yet another way of doing it. Make a clean install of the windows, either 98 or ME. Boot to safe mode. Delete all the auto recognised hardware from the device manager. This holds true for system devices also. Next boot Norton Ghost & create a ghost file of the C: drive. All you have to do then for your CD is to have a boot option of booting to Ghost & using their scripting & command line switches restore this ghost image to c: drive on the pc in question. The system can then boot, find all the available hardware & install built in windows driver. This way you can also bypass having to feed in the serial number manually.

Well, I have found "solution" to my problem:

There was nothing wrong in my All-In-One DVD this IS a issue in VMware...

Windows 98(SE) and ME installs perfecly on M$ Virtual PC and I even installed 98SE on real computer and there were no errors.

I read a article about installing japanese version of w98 on VMware and getting exactly same error...

Bottom line:

Do not test 9x windowsses in VMware especially if they are NOT english...

I had also problems with Me AND 98 at a DVD. But i have used cdimage to "optimize". I believe Cdimage

has a problem with the files of the 2 systems. If i make a bootable DVD without "optimizing", it runs fine together on one disk.

Do not test 9x windowsses in VMware especially if they are NOT english...

I have no problems with dutch win95/98 and ME in VMWare, and I can't imagine that there could be problems with other languages from the same operating system. Are you sure you have done all steps correctly, because in the time I was creating my Multi-bootable DVD, I also had many problems, but all the problems where my own faults. ;)